Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

30, then 60

The package you've described- increases to 65 per month on the 1st of Jan- which I think is where the question was coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

This is why I love Bargain Alerts!

Rang 1908 and asked about the price increase. They confirmed it was going up €2.50 so I asked was there anything they could do to keep me on as I was looking to cancel and go to Eir.

The lady went off and came back offering a fiver off for 4 months. Then that changed to 20 off for 4 months and I said no, I wanted to cancel and go with Eir, but if I could get 6 months of 20 off I would be happy. She popped me on hold again and came back offering half price for 6 months (so 25) then 50 a month for the remainder, which included an increase to the 240Mb plan (I'm on the old legacy 120Mb). I was happy enough with that!

Thanks boardsies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The package you've described- increases to 65 per month on the 1st of Jan- which I think is where the question was coming from.

Wrong.

Email from Virgin to me last week:
    From January your bill will go up by €2.50 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Was in month 5 of the €50/month broadband only deal (first 4 months were €30) and got notice price was going up by €2.50 in January.

Wasn't going to bother calling but after looking on here and also noticing that new customers can get a 30 day contract for €50/month, I decided to call. I told them straight out I was happy with Virgin but it didn't make sense to stay given that new customers could get a 30 day contract at €50 and they wanted me to pay €52.50 for the remainder of my contract (7 months).

They initially refused to budge but after talking with the loyalty team they moved me to the €50/month 30 day contract. They did offer me another 12 month plan with first 4 months for €30 but I'll be moving next summer so didn't want to tie myself down to a longer contract.

So now I'm paying what I was expecting to be paying after 5 months of a 12 month contract originally (€50) only I'm now in a rolling 30 day contract rather than a 7 month one :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wrong.

Email from Virgin to me last week:

I haven't gotten the e-mail from Virgin- I did however have an argument with Virgin over what they determined to be a 'half price' deal- and how full price was in fact half price times 2 + 3.50 self service discount, + 2.50 service discount, minus 8 Euro for taking a phone package etc......... (the discounts may be time delineated- to different terms- meaning some kick in and out seemingly at random)

I.e. their 'half price' isn't half of the headline price- its determined by a bizarre formula- and good luck trying to figure what 'full price' is.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Quick one - I got the email (I'm on 240mb & phone which I don't use - it's going up by 2.50 a month).

Now I really want to cancel the account as it's in my ex's name and open up my own account, but does this mean I have to be without service for a period of time?

Are cancellation and new contract deals better than renegotiation deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Karmella wrote: »
    Quick one - I got the email (I'm on 240mb & phone which I don't use - it's going up by 2.50 a month).

Now I really want to cancel the account as it's in my ex's name and open up my own account, but does this mean I have to be without service for a period of time?

Are cancellation and new contract deals better than renegotiation deals?

Why not sign up and when its up and runnning cancel the other account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

slave1 wrote: »
    Looks like we're starting to pay for their massive fine for not sending out contracts...

You could always leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

rats, got my increase email today on the 120mb bb only package, going up to 37.50e on January.
    At least when upc gave you price hike, you got a speed increase as part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

billbond4 wrote: »
    rats, got my increase email today on the 120mb bb only package, going up to 37.50e on January.

Ring them up and ask to be bumped up to the higher speed for the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

yeah, might as well, got nothing to loose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I got 30 for 6 months and 50 for the remainder on the 360mb broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Got my notification at the weekend, this was my first month coming off a previous 9 months half price offer. That offer had me paying 57 and it's now up at 111. Rang and the guy gave me a few different offers and did end up going to a supervisor but still said the 4 months half price was best he could do so I gave verbal notice to cancel in a month. Will see if they come back with anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Has anyone here got a concession already applied to their account, eg reduction in bill for work done/lines passing property who has been able to negotiate a further monthly reduction on their bill due to price increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lob020

billbond4 wrote: »

I got my increase mail 2 weeks ago.however I am currently availing of half price for 4 months offer and in month 3 now.Could I now negotiate further deal and has anybody out there in similar situation got another discount deal.Thanks to everybody for sharing this information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭SEORG

I got the email on Monday, previous contract was 9 months half price & 3 months full price on 360mb & Anytime World. Was just starting the full price bills so email came at the right time.

I am on the same deal again for the next 12 months without much haggling at all. I got through to the international call centre not Limerick.

One thing I have noticed is that I get calls from Virgin offering me subscription deals to their TV packages a few days before I receive the email. This happened a couple of months ago and again last friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

5500 wrote: »
    Has anyone here got a concession already applied to their account, eg reduction in bill for work done/lines passing property who has been able to negotiate a further monthly reduction on their bill due to price increases?

The don't give discounts to concession accounts.

Only way around it would be to have 2 separate accounts, broadband and phone and separate TV. It may work out cheaper that way if you got discounts on the non concession one. Messy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Was currently on an old plan, 120mb and unlimited landlines, paying €45.50 a month.

Refused to budge on the first two offers they made to me, but I finally settled on the following.

Upgrade to 240mb broadband, unlimited landlines, free modem, half price for the first 4 months (€25) then the following 8 months (€50) Happy enough as I'm not a long term customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

lob020 wrote: »
    I got my increase mail 2 weeks ago.however I am currently availing of half price for 4 months offer and in month 3 now.Could I now negotiate further deal and has anybody out there in similar situation got another discount deal.Thanks to everybody for sharing this information

I was 3 months into a 12 month contract with 4 months half price. Called up and got a new 12 month contract with 6 months half price. This is the 4th time I've done this since I signed up. I think I've only paid full price for 2 months in around 2 years including my half price new customer discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

I was 3 months into a 12 month contract with 4 months half price. Called up and got a new 12 month contract with 6 months half price. This is the 4th time I've done this since I signed up. I think I've only paid full price for 2 months in around 2 years including my half price new customer discount.

What did you tell them?

I'm also 3 months into my 12 month contract, and will call them asking for 6 month half price again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tt2014

I cancelled yesterday because of the contract change and because since i got the new horizon box the broadband keeps freezing. I got through to the irish call centre and he didnt ask me to stay and i got an email for the box collection, do you think they will call or will i just go to sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Amouar wrote: »
    What did you tell them?

I'm also 3 months into my 12 month contract, and will call them asking for 6 month half price again.

I just said that I can't afford the price increase and would like to provide them with one months notice to cancel my service so I can move to sky or vodafone - Unless they could give me a deal. They went on for a bit about how they provide a better service but I insisted I'd leave unless they could do something for me. They offered 4 months half price and I asked could they improve on that. They offered 6 months and again I rejected that to try and push for more but that didn't get me anywhere so I accepted the 6 months offer.

I was genuinely going to cancel unless I got at least 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ok so i got the email

now i actually want to cancel, we are moving in jan / feb

if i call to cancel at the end of december ( i have 30 days) is it immediate or can i give 30 days notice to get me to end Jan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Cyrus wrote: »
    ok so i got the email

now i actually want to cancel, we are moving in jan / feb

if i call to cancel at the end of december ( i have 30 days) is it immediate or can i give 30 days notice to get me to end Jan?

You have a month from receiving the email to contact them to get a new deal or accept the charge or leave.
    So leave it until the month is nearly up and then ask to cancel to get another month.
    But the price rise kicks in from 1st Jab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jay0109 wrote: »
    You have a month from receiving the email to contact them to get a new deal or accept the charge or leave.
    So leave it until the month is nearly up and then ask to cancel to get another month.
    But the price rise kicks in from 1st Jab

ok so ill call them 31 December to arrange cessation of services end Jan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Yeah, can't see why you shouldn't wait until then if it suits your schedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I signed up for tv, broadband and phone in July 2015. The deal was 25 euro a month for the first year and 85 euro a month for the final 6 months. I think January may be the final month on the deal so I'm just wondering what my best course of action would be to get a better deal after that. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ring up same as everyone else if your price is going up. If not then do it about 5 weeks before you're out of contract.
    Some of those deals were 24 month contract I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Lads I signed up for tv, broadband and phone in July 2015. The deal was 25 euro a month for the first year and 85 euro a month for the final 6 months. I think January may be the final month on the deal so I'm just wondering what my best course of action would be to get a better deal after that. Thanks.

That was the deal I have just come off. Just got half price for 9 months on a 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

01902 wrote: »
    That was the deal I have just come off. Just got half price for 9 months on a 12 month contract.

Did you have to wait for your 18 month deal to finish before they made the new deal for you?

Advertisement