Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The don't give discounts to concession accounts.

Only way around it would be to have 2 separate accounts, broadband and phone and separate TV. It may work out cheaper that way if you got discounts on the non concession one. Messy though.

they do if you threaten to cancel....4 months half price or extend your current deal, ask for customer loyalty

although all their deals are for 4 months so i dont how people are getting 6 or 9???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

I was on broadband only for 45 a month, my contract was up in Dec so I cancelled, they rang up confirming cancellation even arranged a date for modem collection, i have switched to Eir with Broadband TV and phone for 30 a month for 6 months then 80 a month on 18 month contract.

Virgin rang again today offered 43.74 a month for 12 months contract with Broadband and TV basic, now in two minds because Eir is only offering me 15Mb Fibre compared to 240Mb with Virgin, also Eir's tv and broadband work from the same box which is not the case with Virgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

4real wrote: »
    I was on broadband only for 45 a month, my contract was up in Dec so I cancelled, they rang up confirming cancellation even arranged a date for modem collection, i have switched to Eir with Broadband TV and phone for 30 a month for 6 months then 80 a month on 18 month contract.

Virgin rang again today offered 43.74 a month for 12 months contract with Broadband and TV basic, now in two minds because Eir is only offering me 15Mb Fibre compared to 240Mb with Virgin, also Eir's tv and broadband work from the same box which is not the case with Virgin.

virgin BB beats all in my opinion. And you can have TV and BB working from the same Virgin box. I had it that way recently with the latest tv box from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

anyone who got 9 months half price, was it manilla or ireland you got it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

virgin BB beats all in my opinion. And you can have TV and BB working from the same Virgin box. I had it that way recently with the latest tv box from them

they gave me the wrong info then, but still their broadband will be much faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Patser

I still haven't got the increase email yet. I got an email today warning me to change my recordings so as not to miss Emmerdale -not exactly a priority - and got my bill yesterday.

Strange that less than a month before the increase is supposed to happen, I've received nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

brightkane wrote: »

Ireland after 3 wasted calls to Manilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Patser wrote: »
    I still haven't got the increase email yet. I got an email today warning me to change my recordings so as not to miss Emmerdale -not exactly a priority - and got my bill yesterday.

Strange that less than a month before the increase is supposed to happen, I've received nothing.

I got the email on tues, price is increasing on jan 1st, i have till dec 29th to cancel. Just ring and ask if you are affected by price increase, and just tell them you havnt received mail yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Patser

I got the email on tues, price is increasing on jan 1st, i have till dec 29th to cancel. Just ring and ask if you are affected by price increase, and just tell them you havnt received mail yet

Just seems strange, we've to give them a months cancellation notice but they're giving less than a months increase notice. Getting the other emails shows I'm correctly in their system.

Anyone else not yet get notification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

jay0109 wrote: »
    Ireland after 3 wasted calls to Manilla

Was just told they can't give me another offer as I am already in a 9 month half price deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Thanks posters, I had forgotten again about this and as I'm not using my regular email address for Virgin I could easily have missed the contract change email. I checked just now and it came in this morning. We really need to upgrade our BB, probably get a better modem so will be ringing them but what do posters mean re getting Manilla or Ireland? I mean I understand what you mean but is it the luck of the draw which country answers when you dial 1908

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

is it the luck of the draw which country answers when you dial 1908

90% of calls to 1908 now go through to either Ireland or the UK- a lot of the call centre work was brought back from the Philippines. You've about a 1-in-10 chance of being put through to the Philippines now- versus about a 1-in-10 chance of getting an Irish or UK call centre just a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

brightkane wrote: »

Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

I'm just half way through my last deal, 360Mb + phone (free calls), €30 x 6mths then 6mths at full price €60 12mth contract,...I wont get another offer so I'll just suck up the extra €2.50 & wait in the long grass....;)

You're out of contract for a little while, so basically tell them you got a better offer from Eir or Vodafone or whoever. Don't just ask for a discount, give them a reason to give you one. Their job is to get you to not leave.
    Don't take "you already got a discount so we can't do it again" for an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Did you have to wait for your 18 month deal to finish before they made the new deal for you?

01902 wrote:
    That was the deal I have just come off. Just got half price for 9 months on a 12 month contract.

Contract is up end of this month.

You're out of contract for a little while, so basically tell them you got a better offer from Eir or Vodafone or whoever. Don't just ask for a discount, give them a reason to give you one. Their job is to get you to not leave.
    Don't take "you already got a discount so we can't do it again" for an answer.
    Im also saving €149 a year on the phone because I dropped blueface voip phone service in favour of the VM BB & phone bundle so happy enough,.....................for a while;):cool:

Jaysus don't tell them you're happy!

Jaysus don't tell them you're happy!

no fear of that although I just spent yesterday complaining to them about the totally dreadful BB service since thurs evening, very slow & frequent disconnections, neighbors had same issues, VM technical team said they couldn't see any problem, D7 blackhorse ave upper area...sorted now.

Well that's a good bargaining chip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

I would like to cancel my contract and instead, in the meantime, register a new account on my wife's name. Is this feasible? will I incur in a reconnection/new setup fee? Anybody had a similar experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Just got off the phone with them now. They offered me 4 mths half price and i said no I wanted to cancel. They then offered me 6 mths half price and i said no but i said i would accept 9 mths half price. They agreed immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

kenkin wrote: »
    Just got off the phone with them now. They offered me 4 mths half price and i said no I wanted to cancel. They then offered me 6 mths half price and i said no but i said i would accept 9 mths half price. They agreed immediately

I've broadband only..

Offered me 6 months and new modem (12 month contract). Modem was due me saying "I never get above 70mb, let alone 240mb...

Should I take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just wondering, what contract are you tied into by taking 9 months half price..?
    Have to ring them myself as I'm thinking of cancelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

You will be entering into a 12 month contract with them if you take their offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Were you already on the 9 months half price? I rang and was told that anyone who was already on the 9 month offer would not be offered it again?:confused:

I was offered 6 months after refusing 4 months. I said no, put me down for cancellation. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

€420 for the year if I sign up for Virgin today via website. (240meg, first 4 months €30, remainder €50/month and €100 credit applied to account on second bill).
    Works out at €35/month averaged over 12 months.
    Good deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

I was on 4mths half price. I am now on a 12mth contract

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Were you already on the 9 months half price? I rang and was told that anyone who was already on the 9 month offer would not be offered it again?:confused:

I was offered 6 months after refusing 4 months. I said no, put me down for cancellation. :(

They said the same to me- and offered me 15 Euro off per month- which I refused- they then offered me 6 months half price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Told Virgin two weeks ago that I was cancelling due to the price increase. Agreed deal with Sky. Off I went.

Got call a week later to arrange collection of Virgin equipment. Agreed a date with them.

Got a call the following day to confirm collection details. Call ended with me agreeing a new 12 month contract with them, with all 12 months at half price. Pretty good considering I'm just finished another 6 month half price deal.

240Mb Horizon Max and Anytime World. €40.74 per month for 12 months.

Lesson is to follow through on the threat to switch!

Advertisement