Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Got 6 months half price with zero hassle there. Probably could have pushed for more but not arsed. Just used their own pricing for new customers against them and they agreed to match it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I've not received an email about an increase, i signed a 12 month new contract in september 16 i believe. Are they exempting us from the increase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    I've broadband only..

Offered me 6 months and new modem (12 month contract). Modem was due me saying "I never get above 70mb, let alone 240mb...

Should I take?
    Just rang back there...

9 months half price and new HUB modem.

Happy days, and the missus is impressed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good stuff :). I find the new model very good.

On foot of this thread I decided to check my emails and sure enough I got the price increase email.
    On 240mb anytime world horizon max bundle. Normally €85 going to €89.
    I'm 6 months into a 9 months half price deal.
    Selected the option to cancel and then the option of going to another provider rather than cancelling because of price.
    Got through to the Phillipines,
    Asked if the new customer version of my bundle was €85 as opposed to €89. Agent confirmed it was.
    Asked if I could change to this bundle.
    Agent said I could and she could see I would qualify for 4 months half price.
    Asked if this would be a new 12 month contract.
    It is.
    Told her it wouldn't be worth staying as I wouldn't save that much seeing as I had 3 months half price left anyway and it would tie me in. Sky were offering me 12 months half price.
    Asked her if she would start the 9 months half price again and then I would be happy to go into contract and not get sky.
    Had to speak to supervisor
    Agreed
    Read terms and conditions. Done.

Just in case anyone wants to try the same. This approach worked twice for me this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Finally managed to get 9 months half Price on my broadband and phone service from them today, so €25 a month x 9 and final 3 @ €50, it was a struggle though to be honest, got the usual story that only those on triple service get the nine month half price offers, but after using be been a customer for over 20 yrs now and loyalty etc, he eventually gave in to me, so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

If you get rid of the tv is there any free to air stations left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You'll get 15 or so basic channels if you keep broadband. They all come in the same cable so they can't really stop them. Picture quality is fairly poor on them though.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Depends on where you live too. Some areas have had analogue switched off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Depends on where you live too. Some areas have had analogue switched off.

Correct although I think it was just cork city as they were on an old mmds system.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

have sky tv
    have virgin broadband

just waiting to see how a friends sky broadband is and then im off to sky

No. cork hasn't had analogue for ages, but lots of places that recently were updraded or added never had analogue.

have sky tv
    have virgin broadband

But Eircom sucks!

Unless your friend lives next door it won't be a great indicator of how good it would be at your address.

What are the deals like for switching to sky broadband. Had a look earlier when I was thinking of changing it they didn't seem that great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Correct although I think it was just cork city as they were on an old mmds system.

Half of West and County Dublin was on MMDS too- they only finally turned it off 2-3 years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

2.50 increase for me from January. Broadband and phone only. Still cheapest with no one else to go to but dont like it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

FrostyJim wrote: »

You'll get 15 or so basic channels if you keep broadband. They all come in the same cable so they can't really stop them. Picture quality is fairly poor on them though.
    But no guarantee of how long the analogue signal would last - could be disconnected at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Still have anaogue in D6W if you plug directly into the Virgin box on the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    I've broadband only..

Offered me 6 months and new modem (12 month contract). Modem was due me saying "I never get above 70mb, let alone 240mb...

Should I take?

How do I know what our speed is (wifi)? I've just tested our BB speed via Virgin website and it's given in kb per second for upload and download so where do the mb come in? It's fine now with one user but as soon as one or two more power up it's snail-like. I want to ask for a new modem but need to know current speed first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cutthegrass

How do I know what our speed is (wifi)? I've just tested our BB speed via Virgin website and it's given in kb per second for upload and download so where do the mb come in? It's fine now with one user but as soon as one or two more power up it's snail-like. I want to ask for a new modem but need to know current speed first!

You need to connect by cable directly to the modem (eg laptop) and run the test from the Virgin website.

For WiFi you will get a fraction of the speed advertised. The new media hub might help improve the WiFi. Download an app to test this.

I pay for 240Mb and get about 220Mb on my PC with a cable direct to the modem.

WiFi I get 50Mb downstairs and 20Mb upstairs using a TPLINK adaptor.

I am getting the hub tomorrow so might be able to get rid of adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

have sky tv
    have virgin broadband

Why would you do that? Sky BB is dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

You need to connect by cable directly to the modem (eg laptop) and run the test from the Virgin website.

For WiFi you will get a fraction of the speed advertised. The new media hub might help improve the WiFi. Download an app to test this.

I pay for 240Mb and get about 220Mb on my PC with a cable direct to the modem.

WiFi I get 50Mb downstairs and 20Mb upstairs using a TPLINK adaptor.

I am getting the hub tomorrow so might be able to get rid of adaptor.

Not necessarily. That is what I thought aswell but I'm getting 24-25MBps over wifi with their router (that's 240Mbps) upstairs in the house. Basically maxing out the connection. Delighted tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

With the new increase, my package would be €84 a month for 120Mb BB, phone and Horizon TV. So I rang yesterday to go through the motions of getting a better deal. Got through to the non Irish call centre and was passed from the first girl to a man who dealt with things for me.

All the following offers are for the basic bundle of 240Mb BB, phone and Horizon TV which retails at €80 p/m
    Offer 1: 4 months @ €45, 8 months @ €70. Total €740
    I declined that offer
    Offer 2: 6 months @ €45, 6 months @ €70. Total €690
    I declined that offer
    Offer 3: 9 months @ €40, 3 months @ €80. Total €600
    This is the much talked about 9 month half price offer spoken about here. I accepted.

Have to say, was no hassle dealing with them at all and happy out with a +€400 saving for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Hey guys, can't find it on the search, but does anyone have the 021 number or do I have to use 1908?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

it was 061 - 272190. I used 1908 last time, so can't confirm if it's still active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Wife rang again after getting the no other offer spiel last week, 42.50 for nine months for TV and broadband and new box and modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

We got a letter out about the increase a about 2.5 weeks ago, just rang up there.

Got through to the Manila call centre. I told him I'd gotten a decent offer from Sky (I hadn't), and that I was probably going to switch to them. He came back with two worse offers, the third was the 9 months half price and 50 Euro for the remaining 3 months.

We were on 120Mb BB and the phone calls (which we don't use) before this. We're now bumped up to 240Mb and getting a new Internet hub.

Happy with that overall, best deal I've ever gotten from them by far, been a customer well over 10 years though.

Call took about 15 minutes and wasn't waiting on hold or passed back and forth between departments for once. I'd definitely recommend going straight to the cancellation department to save any unnecessary hassle. Wasn't really much haggling involved and I wondered what would happen if I'd of rejected the 9 months but didn't push my luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

DubDJ wrote: »
    We got a letter out about the increase a about 2.5 weeks ago, just rang up there.

Got through to the Manila call centre. I told him I'd gotten a decent offer from Sky (I hadn't), and that I was probably going to switch to them. He came back with two worse offers, the third was the 9 months half price and 50 Euro for the remaining 3 months.

We were on 120Mb BB and the phone calls (which we don't use) before this. We're now bumped up to 240Mb and getting a new Internet hub.

Happy with that overall, best deal I've ever gotten from them by far, been a customer well over 10 years though.

Call took about 15 minutes and wasn't waiting on hold or passed back and forth between departments for once. I'd definitely recommend going straight to the cancellation department to save any unnecessary hassle. Wasn't really much haggling involved and I wondered what would happen if I'd of rejected the 9 months but didn't push my luck.

I've the broadband and phone with them myself, going to ring later, did you ring 1908?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Wife rang again after getting the no other offer spiel last week, 42.50 for nine months for TV and broadband and new box and modem.

Had you had the 9 mths half price 3 mths full before?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Just coming to the end of a 50% promo period 6 months in to a 12 month contract. Got the email, rang to cancel and the 12 month contract was renewed with another 6 month promo period easily enough.

Prepare to fend off very exaggerated claims of eir's hackable network.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thomas wrote: »
    Prepare to fend off very exaggerated claims of eir's hackable network.

You could mention the issue with the Intel Puma 6 chipset which is in the Compal box that they're upgrading us all to..........

Link to an article on it here

In short it causes massive latency increases (by over 200ms) and the modem drops 6-8% of all packets. In practice it means buggy gaming- and issues with video calls (or anything that relies on low latency communication).

Advertisement