Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Had you had the 9 mths half price 3 mths full before?

Yeah that's the last one we had, it just increased back to normal last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Wife rang again after getting the no other offer spiel last week, 42.50 for nine months for TV and broadband and new box and modem.

So virgin are putting up their prices by €4 a month from january. Then they are offering half price deals to anyone that rings up, say €40 a month of their bill for the next 9 months..
    I suppose not everyone will ring up but it seems a strange way to increase your revenue, announce a €4 increase only to chop 50% of peoples' bills for the guts of a year when they ring..???
    Maybe I'm missing something..? I'm in two minds about taking an offer from them or switching to sky..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

UsBus wrote: »
    So virgin are putting up their prices by €4 a month from january. Then they are offering half price deals to anyone that rings up, say €40 a month of their bill for the next 9 months..
    I suppose not everyone will ring up but it seems a strange way to increase your revenue, announce a €4 increase only to chop 50% of peoples' bills for the guts of a year when they ring..???
    Maybe I'm missing something..? I'm in two minds about taking an offer from them or switching to sky..

Well the reality is that we were out of contract come January, but there was no way we'd continue to pay 89 per month for TV and broadband.

We have been with VM (UPC) for almost 10 years and every year come contract renewal we have negotiated a better deal.

Thankfully all other broadband suppliers offer (and get) good speeds in our building so it would've been a case of dropping the TV and switching BB Provider at any stage in the last ten years. However that's more hassle than it's worth when they offer you deals to stay like above.

I prsume VM are aware of this and the increase actually means that they get 2 quid extra a month off me for nine months and then their 4 for the last three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

DubDJ wrote: »
    We got a letter out about the increase a about 2.5 weeks ago, just rang up there.

Got through to the Manila call centre. I told him I'd gotten a decent offer from Sky (I hadn't), and that I was probably going to switch to them. He came back with two worse offers, the third was the 9 months half price and 50 Euro for the remaining 3 months.

We were on 120Mb BB and the phone calls (which we don't use) before this. We're now bumped up to 240Mb and getting a new Internet hub.

Happy with that overall, best deal I've ever gotten from them by far, been a customer well over 10 years though.

Call took about 15 minutes and wasn't waiting on hold or passed back and forth between departments for once. I'd definitely recommend going straight to the cancellation department to save any unnecessary hassle. Wasn't really much haggling involved and I wondered what would happen if I'd of rejected the 9 months but didn't push my luck.

Thats what i got last year. So ill be aiming for more this year.

Edit. I have phone bb and tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 swimwidow

Which phone number are ye using? The 1908 or the 061 one? I'm BB/Phone/TV and our last half price thing ran out there a little while ago and I'm not paying more...so want to get in and buzz them now while I have time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

UsBus wrote: »

For every 100 people whose bill is going up- 2 or perhaps 3 will ring and get an offer on their contract- so it doesn't hurt Virgin to placate those who have the tenacity to chase an offer.......

swimwidow wrote: »
    Which phone number are ye using? The 1908 or the 061 one? I'm BB/Phone/TV and our last half price thing ran out there a little while ago and I'm not paying more...so want to get in and buzz them now while I have time

01-2458000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Well the reality is that we were out of contract come January, but there was no way we'd continue to pay 89 per month for TV and broadband.

We have been with VM (UPC) for almost 10 years and every year come contract renewal we have negotiated a better deal.

Thankfully all other broadband suppliers offer (and get) good speeds in our building so it would've been a case of dropping the TV and switching BB Provider at any stage in the last ten years. However that's more hassle than it's worth when they offer you deals to stay like above.

I prsume VM are aware of this and the increase actually means that they get 2 quid extra a month off me for nine months and then their 4 for the last three.

Ya that's true. Not everyone is coming to the end of their contract so wouldn't be thinking g about moving..I'm out of contract in January as well, but doesn't the price increase mean you can get out at any stage without fees..?

I think 12 months for any deal is good though, you are not tied in for that long if you want to change...with the amount of increases virgin are making, contracts are becoming less of an issue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've the broadband and phone with them myself, going to ring later, did you ring 1908?

Yeah I rang 1908, think I chose accounts and cancellation and picked price as the reason. Then got put through to customer care.

Thats what i got last year. So ill be aiming for more this year.

Edit. I have phone bb and tv.
    Yeah didn't you yet Setanta free as well? You'll always get a better deal with more than one service. The most I got last year was four months half price and paying 45 for 120Mb. This year they're offering much better deals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 endrjiu

I've got same from eir last year so I moved to Sky. Happy now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Finally got around to doing my cancellation today. She offered me a new modem and a price freeze at €50, so basically €2.50 off for the next 12 months :pac:

Told her my service is terrible and I have no interest in staying so she processed my cancellation in about 2 mins. The smoothest cancellation procedure I've ever had so at least Virgin can do that right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Just got off webchat for my folks. Offered a saving of 20pm and 5pm off TV and phone. Totalling 140 euro over the year or something. Mentioned sky giving away Samsung TV and asked for six months half price. No problem.

Two minutes later, my own account. No email received and they low balled on cancelling the 4 increase. Then offered 4 months and when pushed I got 6 months half price.

Don't accept the first offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

DubDJ wrote: »
    We got a letter out about the increase a about 2.5 weeks ago, just rang up there.

Got through to the Manila call centre. I told him I'd gotten a decent offer from Sky (I hadn't), and that I was probably going to switch to them. He came back with two worse offers, the third was the 9 months half price and 50 Euro for the remaining 3 months.

We were on 120Mb BB and the phone calls (which we don't use) before this. We're now bumped up to 240Mb and getting a new Internet hub.

Happy with that overall, best deal I've ever gotten from them by far, been a customer well over 10 years though.

Call took about 15 minutes and wasn't waiting on hold or passed back and forth between departments for once. I'd definitely recommend going straight to the cancellation department to save any unnecessary hassle. Wasn't really much haggling involved and I wondered what would happen if I'd of rejected the 9 months but didn't push my luck.

Rang up and got a crap 1st offer and then half price for 6 months, I said no to that and then said she'd leave a note on the system for the offer, so she wasn't gonna offer me anything else, so ended up taking the 6 months half price with a new modem, happy enough I suppose

Rang up and got a crap 1st offer and then half price for 6 months, I said no to that and then said she'd leave a note on the system for the offer, so she wasn't gonna offer me anything else, so ended up taking the 6 months half price with a new modem, happy enough I suppose

It's partly luck of the draw, but as other posters have said you can call back or wait a few days and they'll sometimes offer you a better deal.

Some have even been refused the 6 month deal, I think it's all about who you talk to. The chap I spoke to was very systematic and sounded like he was reading from a script towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Said same to me. Told her to leave not and add that i want the 9 months others are getting. Rang a couple of days later and fot it easy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Patser

Still haven't heard anything...

I know I can still ring them if I want but at this stage I want to be able to tell them I need at least a months notice before increases are acceptable, in writing only, in triplicate, after you ring my premium number to discuss options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Patser wrote: »
    Still haven't heard anything...

I know I can still ring them if I want but at this stage I want to be able to tell them I need at least a months notice before increases are acceptable, in writing only, in triplicate, after you ring my premium number to discuss options...
    I think you might have trouble getting through to them tomorrow...considering seemingly the whole countries broadband is down with them atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭baldbear

Scrapping TV & just keeping 240mb broadband. Anyone else just have bb & what deal if any did you get? I'll try and get them to match the new customer offer

I'm so sick of the yearly price rise & nothing in return.

baldbear wrote: »
    Scrapping TV & just keeping 240mb broadband. Anyone else just have bb & what deal if any did you get? I'll try and get them to match the new customer offer

360Mb broadband, new router (Homehub 3- that Compal thingy) and 360 World phone package (its cheaper to take it with the phone, even if you don't need it) half price @ 31.50 for 9 months, 63 Euro for the final 3 months of a 9 month contract.

Its actually 8 quid more for broadband- if you don't don't take the phone package- and you do get unlimited Irish and UK landline and mobile calls, so even if you only use it once in a very blue moon, it may be worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

baldbear wrote: »

I just rang them there. First offer was €10 off for 6 months. When I refused that I was offered 1/2 price for 4 months. When I refused that she tried to bump me down to 240mb. I asked for 360 at 1/2 price for 6 months. She put me on hold then came back 2 minutes later and agreed.

Well worth ringing them just be firm (but polite) with them and tell them Sky are offering you internet for €40 p/m. They'll fold like Superman on laundry day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

I look forward to this thread every year.

27 minutes later resulted in the money maker: 9 months @ €40; 3 @ €80 for the usual. Just got directed through to loyalty from the regular sales line.

Some interesting haggling, but just stated that my neighbour :rolleyes: had gotten this offer, and this would be the only thing to change my mind from moving to Sky. Got offered 3 other packages and then she went on hold.

All confirmed, new hub on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

jwcurtin wrote: »
    I look forward to this thread every year.

27 minutes later resulted in the money maker: 9 months @ €40; 3 @ €80 for the usual. Just got directed through to loyalty from the regular sales line.

Some interesting haggling, but just stated that my neighbour :rolleyes: had gotten this offer, and this would be the only thing to change my mind from moving to Sky. Got offered 3 other packages and then she went on hold.

All confirmed, new hub on the way.

What do you mean new hub? You are not using the Horizon Box?

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    What do you mean new hub? You are not using the Horizon Box?

No we have an unconsolidated installation: Horizon Box supplies TV only, and the internet and phone come via the Technicolour Modem from a different point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

No we have an unconsolidated installation: Horizon Box supplies TV only, and the internet and phone come via the Technicolour Modem from a different point.

Is that the one in my link below?
    Were you able to change DNS servers when it went down last night?

Edit: https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/equipment/

Keith186 wrote: »
    Is that the one in my link below?
    Were you able to change DNS servers when it went down last night?

Just connected to Horizon Wi-Free and it seems to be working until Virgin Media sort themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Just connected to Horizon Wi-Free and it seems to be working until Virgin Media sort themselves out.

Good idea! Had to forgot to paste link of course.
    Not sure whether to get the new modem or not maybe I'll hold off on calling for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Thanks to everyone whom has posted. I just called there and got 6 months for half price and the new modem. I didn't push it any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Thanks to everyone whom has posted. I just called there and got 6 months for half price and the new modem. I didn't push it any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I got 6 months half price and moved over to Horizon. The agent in Manila refused to give me a Hub. Said he could only do "one offer"

3 Days later a brand new Horizon Box and a Hub arrived to the door!!!!

They are the most random company I've ever dealt with

Advertisement