Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

For an offer of half price for 9 months a after a few calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Is there a particular time of day you're more likely to get Ireland than Manilla. I can't deal with another call to Manilla nothing they've ever told me has come through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Made two phone calls today for two different accounts.

First one went a dream, the lady was very helpful and agreed that a new customer would indeed get the same package (phone, tv and broabdand) for 6 months at half price and they would receive 100 euro off their second bill (an offer on their site until 12th December). She put me on hold for a few minutes and offered me 9 months half price.

Second call for other account was more difficult with the agent being more evasive and trying to persuade me the difference in packages offered with different providers and price. I got annoyed with their circular tactics and eventually settled for 6 months half price.

For my own home account I never received an email or letter form virgin, have people just chanced their arm and tried this without the contract change notification. I certainly will try it if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Have people been receiving emails confirming their new deal or received any confirmation after the phone calls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

sillysocks wrote: »
    Have people been receiving emails confirming their new deal or received any confirmation after the phone calls?

Yea I got a confirmation email about 24 hours later, 9 months half price on 360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 AmyKeeler

Doesn't it depend on when your contract is up though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Is there a particular time of day you're more likely to get Ireland than Manilla. I can't deal with another call to Manilla nothing they've ever told me has come through

They're 7 hours ahead of us and the UK- anytime after 11AM in the morning- the volumes being directed to Manilla taper off.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I rang Tuesday morning but I've heard nothing from them since, no confirmation email. Checked on the account and the old plan is still listed and we were supposed to get the new hub within 3-4 days but haven't even been contacted by the delivery courier yet.

Anybody else get a similar situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DubDJ wrote: »
    I rang Tuesday morning but I've heard nothing from them since, no confirmation email. Checked on the account and the old plan is still listed and we were supposed to get the new hub within 3-4 days but haven't even been contacted by the delivery courier yet.

I rang them yesterday at about 11:30am, I got an order reference number on the phone but nothing since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

DubDJ wrote: »

Yes I did. Ordered new TV package to add to standalone broadband service I'd had for 6 months. Ordered on a Monday equipment didn't arrive till a week later (Monday just gone). In the meantime the existing router I had was switched off by them so I had no Internet in the apartment for that week. Rang them up maybe 4 times...usually to Philippines who were reading from a script and useless. Demanded tó be put through through Cork and was sorted immediately. Got a months refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Ok, so seems like they probably take a few days to process all the changes to the account then. I took down the reference number they gave me at the time just in case, so I have that if I do need to ring up.

Usually I've had changes reflected on the account 1-2 days later but maybe with the high volume of calls there could be a backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Recently got a 20% discount on sports and a new contract for 12 months. This was after they overcharged me for 8 months and it took 3 months for me to sort it. Had murder with them on the phone over the €4 saying its going against the terms I agreed to, to stay, Haven't even received my contract and they're telling me its changing! They told me that what I agreed to is not classed as change in service but offered me the discount and a rebundle to cancel out the €4.

Sky have a good deal at the minute with Sky Q. It would work out about the same to keep the BB with Virgin and switch to sky and get the same services. Q mini boxes extend the viewing to other rooms you get 1 free with the multiroom sub@ €16 a month. Each additional Q mini is €120 one off cost as opposed to €132 you pay for each multi box with Virgin over 12 months. They are still offering the free 32" TV and it would be yours to sell or keep. Get about €188 for the 32"!! As a bonus you also get Sky Go.

What to do? Take the €188 discount Virgin are offering or get newer better box's off sky and be happy knowing that after 6 months I'll be paying about a fiver more than I currently am with all the HD channels sky have to offer! Decisions, Descisions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i got the 6 months half price discount offer in last week of october based on the email that they sent to many of us.
    i got the email for price increase now.
    is there anyone in the same situation?
    not sure what to ask for if i ring them?

6 months half price is better than what they currently have to offer! Ask them what date you changed your services and hit them with the September 27th clause. If you too got a new contract tell them the €4 goes against what you agreed to if they don't drop it contact comreg. I'd say comreg workers are loving the complaints they are getting from people not happy with what they are providing. They will most likely say the same thing they said to me and offer the €188 discount for 6 months in order to cancel out the €4. But it does also say on the FAQ's site that any other discounts you receive will not be effected!

On a side note the person I talked to who offered the discount was extremely aggressive when selling the rebundle offer I said I'd have to think about it have until the 28th dec with 14 day cooling off period. Gives plenty of time to make the switch to sky after Christmas!

Remind me, What did they get fined for increasing there prices without issuing a contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Do they ring you back with a better offer after you've put through the cancellation?
    Just got the email there so gave them them a ring. First offer was €5 a month off, then 4 months half price.
    Told them to go ahead with the cancellation as he wouldn't put me through to any other team.
    Not the end of the world if they do cancel, I'll just move to Sky or Eir for cheaper and be rid of the terrible Horizon box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Patser

Just off the phone with them - Cork I think.

Offered if I keep full bundle - €80 a month, with 6 months at 50% off plus extra 29 channel bundle. 12 month contract. Also there's a hub in the post to me,

or BB and phone only = €50 month , with 4 months reduced to €30.

And all because I said I was desperate to quit as I wanted Eir sports for the Allianz League Gaa coverage

Just got email with new off of 9 months half price, went from being told no chance of any deal to an offer of 4 months half price when I told the Irish rep that he had breached data protection, to an offer of 6 months and no more to a final offer of 9 months so well happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

6 months half price is better than what they currently have to offer! Ask them what date you changed your services and hit them with the September 27th clause. If you too got a new contract tell them the €4 goes against what you agreed to if they don't drop it contact comreg. I'd say comreg workers are loving the complaints they are getting from people not happy with what they are providing. They will most likely say the same thing they said to me and offer the €188 discount for 6 months in order to cancel out the €4. But it does also say on the FAQ's site that any other discounts you receive will not be effected!

On a side note the person I talked to who offered the discount was extremely aggressive when selling the rebundle offer I said I'd have to think about it have until the 28th dec with 14 day cooling off period. Gives plenty of time to make the switch to sky after Christmas!

Remind me, What did they get fined for increasing there prices without issuing a contract?

I was told twice on their web chat that even though my 12 month contract was started in October that because there was no change to my package that the increase still applied. I quoted the info at the bottom of the email about if after the 27th September and they said because there were no changes to the package that the price goes up. What's the comeback? refer to comreg?

mcgovern wrote: »
    Do they ring you back with a better offer after you've put through the cancellation?
    Just got the email there so gave them them a ring. First offer was €5 a month off, then 4 months half price.
    Told them to go ahead with the cancellation as he wouldn't put me through to any other team.
    Not the end of the world if they do cancel, I'll just move to Sky or Eir for cheaper and be rid of the terrible Horizon box.

Did they confirm a date to pick up equipment? Is there any wires on your house tell them they can go ahead and take that off too!

ronano wrote: »
    I was told twice on their web chat that even though my 12 month contract was started in October that because there was no change to my package that the increase still applied. I quoted the info at the bottom of the email about if after the 27th September and they said because there were no changes to the package that the price goes up. What's the comeback? refer to comreg?

Did you receive the contract? or was it just the contract change notice you received?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Did you receive the contract? or was it just the contract change notice you received?

Contract change is all i received is this 'Your Purchases/Product Change Confirmation'

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Did they confirm a date to pick up equipment? Is there any wires on your house tell them they can go ahead and take that off too!

No date yet, he ended the call after I said to go ahead with the cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

After I originally said I'd cancel last week I got an email and text a few days later from a separate company they use to collect equipment. That just said I had up to the cancellation date to book in a collection day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Thanks everyone for this thread - I webchatted with Ezekiel today & got Horizon Max & broadband for €42.50 for 6 months (half price) with new horizon box & new modem - very happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

This is an interesting point, we live at the start of a loooong cul de sac, so there's 40+ houses past us which need the cable to traverse our property. It might be worth mentioning that if/when they don't take the bait and we get to the cancellation stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

I rang up there, was just out of a 12 month contract with 9 month half price 240 MB Horizon Max.

Got another 9 months half price again and upgraded to the 360 MB Horizon Max package. :D

It seems you have to go through the motions, 4 euro price increase, only watch RTE/BBCs - available on saorview/FTA. Eir offers and free TV with Sky TV etc. Took 20 minutes but well worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

mcgovern wrote: »

Got same offer of €25 for 4mths then €45 for 2mths then €50 for remaining 6.i told her I'd only accept another 9mths half off (just finished that ) but she said this was best she could do.Asked to be transferred to cancellations but she said she was cancellations so told her to go ahead .Hopefully they give a better deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pemtca wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for this thread - I webchatted with Ezekiel today & got Horizon Max & broadband for €42.50 for 6 months (half price) with new horizon box & new modem - very happy with that!

Same offer from Ezekiel too, happy enough with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Just off the phone with Manila, nice lady to be fair which I think helped

Got 9 months half price on 240mg broadband, with no price increase so 25 for 9 and 50 for last 3

Also throwing in their new modem

I think the key is to be polite but firm, I politely told them I'm going to sky as they were offering me 20e for 6months and 40e for last 6 with 100mg broadband.
    Told them 100mg was more than enough for my needs, said I didn't game or download (total lie).
    They first offered me 6 months half price, I politely refused and was then put on hold and offered 9 months half price and new super hub as they call it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

So I got TV back in September for 15euro for 4 months and 30 afterwards.

I cancelled it due to the bill increase so no I won't have any tv with Virgin after the 12th of this month.

However, I had broadband with them since January this year and paying €50 a month for it still. I'm assumming I can ring them up again and try get money off this?

Thanks
    Nalz

Advertisement