Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I'm 4mths into half price for 6mths deal and 12mth contract as is standard. Anyone rang in that position and got anything? I should mention i'm 240MB Broadband only at 50 (25 half price deal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm 4mths into half price for 6mths deal and 12mth contract as is standard. Anyone rang in that position and got anything? I should mention i'm 240MB Broadband only at 50 (25 half price deal)

I'm in a similar position albeit with a different service, 240 mb + the middle horizon TV package, normally 80 (soon to be 84) paying 40 at the mo.

On live chat today the best offer they gave me was 45 for 6 months then 70 after that plus a new hub plus credit for the two day outage this week. I told them I would think about it. Initially they had offered 4 months because I'm already in a deal but I pointed out that that would actually only be two discounted months

The line he kept repeating was that the 70 was a deal not even available to new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

I was coming to end on a half price 9 months/full price 3 months. Decided to call the day after the major virgin media internet/phone outage.
    One new thing was that you had to select using the phone why you were changing , other supplier, price or service I think. ( No chance to pick all of them lol) I selected price. IMHO, better for getting your point across.
    I checked out the eir & vodafone prices, both similar to each other and to virgin.
    IMHO, to get the 9 months offer, you need
    1) to be willing to cancel. (Last year, they called me back a few days before equipment collection.) They will call under some guise.
    2) you also need to give examples of where Virgin are more expensive eg: multi room is double the price with virgin, You can get sky sports for half price for 12 months I think with Eir.
    3) You need to complain about the service Horizon wifi, losing BT Sport. (having a nationwide outage the day before really helped and with it being in the newspapers it helped big time to rub in the point.
    As one of the previous ops said you need to be pleasant, but firm. No, rambling on and on( like I am here lol)
    The best advice came from a programme on the TV about bargaining. Let there be loads of awkward silences, let them fill the space.

I got through to the Philippines btw
    In the end I said that I would sign up again only if I got the 9 months again. After he consulted twice with the supervisor I got the 9 months half price, 3 at full.

BTW : After signing up for 12 months, another outage today, I currently have no internet or phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

tall chapy wrote: »
    I was coming to end on a half price 9 months/full price 3 months. Decided to call the day after the major virgin media internet/phone outage.
    One new thing was that you had to select using the phone why you were changing , other supplier, price or service I think. ( No chance to pick all of them lol) I selected price. IMHO, better for getting your point across.
    I checked out the eir & vodafone prices, both similar to each other and to virgin.
    IMHO, to get the 9 months offer, you need
    1) to be willing to cancel. (Last year, they called me back a few days before equipment collection.) They will call under some guise.
    2) you also need to give examples of where Virgin are more expensive eg: multi room is double the price with virgin, You can get sky sports for half price for 12 months I think with Eir.
    3) You need to complain about the service Horizon wifi, losing BT Sport. (having a nationwide outage the day before really helped and with it being in the newspapers it helped big time to rub in the point.
    As one of the previous ops said you need to be pleasant, but firm. No, rambling on and on( like I am here lol)
    The best advice came from a programme on the TV about bargaining. Let there be loads of awkward silences, let them fill the space.

I got through to the Philippines btw
    In the end I said that I would sign up again only if I got the 9 months again. After he consulted twice with the supervisor I got the 9 months half price, 3 at full.

BTW : After signing up for 12 months, another outage today, I currently have no internet or phone.

Rarely experience outages to be fair! When was it down for 2 days missed that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Rang today. Got 9 months at €40 and 3 at €80. Took about 15mins in total. Was onto a nice girl in Manilla.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I just called Manila there and the girl only offered my 4 months at €42.50 and 8 months at €85. She wouldn't budge on the price so I told her I would cancel. She said that since my account is now listed for cancellation that I can't avail of any offers from them. Has anyone else had a similar experience and still managed to get the 9 month deal from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nalz wrote: »
    So I got TV back in September for 15euro for 4 months and 30 afterwards.

I cancelled it due to the bill increase so no I won't have any tv with Virgin after the 12th of this month.

However, I had broadband with them since January this year and paying €50 a month for it still. I'm assumming I can ring them up again and try get money off this?

Thanks
    Nalz

If you remove the Tv you will need to pick a new broadband/phone package to go with (with new contact) because if you are out of bundle you will pay €70/80 for your broadband and phone.

They may not give you a great deal as you are still cancelling a service. But it's worth a go.

If you kept the tv there's a good chance you'd get 9 months half price (half of €80/85)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭baldbear

Rang today. Got 9 months at €40 and 3 at €80. Took about 15mins in total. Was onto a nice girl in Manilla.

That's the exact same as me.

I ring every year but this year I was intent on cancelling TV & just keeping bb @ €50 a month.

So I got deal early Nov, 40€ 6 moths then 80€ 6months. Total Price€ 720. increase Email received 11 Nov.

I asked the story & was told I'm NOT getting a price rise as I got the deal just before the email.
    I asked could I still cancel now because of email & was told I could. happy days. I said I'm cancelling TV & just keeping bb.

So he comes back to me a couple of times & said his final best offer was €40 for 9 months & €80 for 3 months total of €600.

They never gave me a 9 month deal before & I wasn't expecting it. So haggle even if you are told you aren't getting a rise but have received the email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just got email with new off of 9 months half price, went from being told no chance of any deal to an offer of 4 months half price when I told the Irish rep that he had breached data protection, to an offer of 6 months and no more to a final offer of 9 months so well happy
    What was the data protection issue, and can I use it as well?

What was the data protection issue, and can I use it as well?

I mentioned how a friend of mine had gotten a deal and when I gave the name the rep informed me of exactly what my friend was paying, how long he'd been with virgin and other account information that should only be given to the account holder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭sector_000

Anybody had luck getting a repeat of 9 months 3 months full? They told me best they could offer was 6 @ half, 6 @ full because I have had 2 deals in a row (9 month half & 6 month half). I said I would cancel unless I got the 9 month as I am fed up of the constant yearly increases. No budge. 6 month@ half was final offer. So I scheduled cancellation. I have 240M BB, horizon max TV (no extra channels) and free phone calls in Ireland. Going to e92 / month with price rise.
    Anybody got negotiation advice? I had rang the regular 1908 number.... Irish service agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

sector_000 wrote: »
    Anybody had luck getting a repeat of 9 months 3 months full? They told me best they could offer was 6 @ half, 6 @ full because I have had 2 deals in a row (9 month half & 6 month half). I said I would cancel unless I got the 9 month as I am fed up of the constant yearly increases. No budge. 6 month@ half was final offer. So I scheduled cancellation. I have 240M BB, horizon max TV (no extra channels) and free phone calls in Ireland. Going to e92 / month with price rise.
    Anybody got negotiation advice? I had rang the regular 1908 number.... Irish service agent.

Yep I did. I got the same spiel from someone in Ireland. Put through the cancel notice. Rang back a few days later saying I'd had an offer from Eir for 6 months half price plus 100 eur cash back, but that my neighbor told me she'd gotten 9 months half price and that I wasn't happy after all my years with UPC that I wasn't offered what others were etc etc. Gkt offered the 9 months again almost straight away. I had been on 9 months half price up until last month and only just went back full price so good timing!
    When I got the offer it was via the Manila (I think) call center not the Irish one but not sure if that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes, I did, same package as you too. 9 months offer twice.
    Mine was €85 at full price and going to €89 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I got 25 off per month for nine months, wouldn't budge on that. And a new hub.

So I get 240mb bb and basic TV and some phone package for 40 per month for nine months and 67 for three months.

When I looked at the confirmation it said half price nine months but its not, its a 27 deduction per month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I rang up on Tuesday gone and only just got a letter in the post this morning confirming the changes to the account. Was getting worried that they didn't apply the changes because I'd heard nothing.

Still waiting on the new Hub though, haven't heard anything about delivery so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DubDJ wrote: »
    I rang up on Tuesday gone and only just got a letter in the post this morning confirming the changes to the account. Was getting worried that they didn't apply the changes because I'd heard nothing.

Still waiting on the new Hub though, haven't heard anything about delivery so far.

I got email confirmation of the 9 months 1/2 price, 3 months slightly reduced price on Sat. Nothing on the new Hub either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

just got 12 Month Half Price discount on Horizon TV + 240MB Broadband, for €40.74 per month.
    Currently paying €45 for Broadband only.
    I also added Sky Sports HD for €25 extra (half price for 3 months) so €65.74 overall.

Don't think people here are getting 12 month half price offers so I was a little bit surprised there myself.
    Also to note that I had cancelled and had my cancellation date fixed at 22nd of this month and got this deal offered after that.
    Happy out with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Hey lads, I rang them last week and was offered 4 months half price. I turned that down and proceeded with cancellation. I got onto webchat today and was offered two options: 1. Horizon TV and broadband for €40 for 6 months and €70 for 6 months or 2. Horizon Max and Broadband for €42.50 for 6 months and €85 for 6 months. I'm just wondering if that's the best I'll do or should I try again to get 9 months half price?

Is it too late to cancel now? I thought it had to be done by the 10th, completely forgot to contact them.

DubDJ wrote: »

Just got my delivery details and tracking number, here tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Rang last week and was offered 80 off for the year. She had started off with a huge discount of 40 a year. I told them I was moving to Vodafone which would save me 110 in the year.
    They're not into telling me how 240mb/s is better than 100mb/s.
    I only need about 20mb/s.
    She didn't go any further so I said cancel away.
    On the off chance they could do anything I contacted web chat on Saturday. They just said they'd no authority to increase anything. The chart cut had no interest at all.
    Deadly.

I'm just with broadband.

Whats the next step? Do they follow up or will I just ring back and cancel my cancellation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes- I finished my 9 months half price at the end of Nov- and am now starting a new 9 months half price (and have the e-mail with all the details). I accepted 6 months half-price- and then when I saw people here being offered 9 months- as I was within my 14 days cooling off period, went back and had cancellations upgrade it to 9 months (and got a new e-mail confirming this).

They're also giving me a new phone (the old one is dead as a dodo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

Rang last week and was offered 80 off for the year. She had started off with a huge discount of 40 a year. I told them I was moving to Vodafone which would save me 110 in the year.
    They're not into telling me how 240mb/s is better than 100mb/s.
    I only need about 20mb/s.
    She didn't go any further so I said cancel away.
    On the off chance they could do anything I contacted web chat on Saturday. They just said they'd no authority to increase anything. The chart cut had no interest at all.
    Deadly.

I'm just with broadband.

Whats the next step? Do they follow up or will I just ring back and cancel my cancellation?

Ring them again and ask for Loyalty Dept.
    They might offer you something again, in my case since i cancelled they rang me themselves and offered me the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Just got 9 months half price. Call duration was less than 10 minutes, connected to Philipines.

Decided to call today. Got the mail 3 weeks back, not sure why I waited so long. Just said, I got the price increase mail so looking to cancel. She checked the account and asked me if I am happy with the service, I said yes.

Next she offered me 4 months half price because I am loyal customer. I just said I know people are getting 9 month half price and if I can get it I will be very happy with it. She said she knows people have got that but wasnt sure if that can be offered to me.

Put on hold to check with the supervisor, within couple of minutes got the confirmation that I will be getting 9 month half price.

Never had such a simple and straight forward call with them. Just be polite and be in good humour.

Goodluck to anyone who is looking to make the call!!

Note: Call option -> 1908 then Option 4 then Option 2

Just out of interest if I already have a Horizon box, do I have to disable the internet on that in order to use the new Home Hub that's coming tomorrow? As far as I remember you are not able to use 2 modems on one incoming line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Inquitus wrote: »
    Just out of interest if I already have a Horizon box, do I have to disable the internet on that in order to use the new Home Hub that's coming tomorrow? As far as I remember you are not able to use 2 modems on one incoming line.

Yes- you feed the horizon box from the Media Hub 3.

Yes- you feed the horizon box from the Media Hub 3.

Thanks Sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Just settled for 6 months half price, speed doubled to 240mb and new router on the way after 25 mins on the phone. I'm happy enough with that as I only have broadband with them.

Is anyone getting 9 months half price that just have broadband with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

stdidit wrote: »
    Just settled for 6 months half price, speed doubled to 240mb and new router on the way after 25 mins on the phone. I'm happy enough with that as I only have broadband with them.

Is anyone getting 9 months half price that just have broadband with them?

Was just about to ask same q.. I'm on 120mb and best they offered was stick to 120 and half price 6mth 47.50 final 6..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sunnyt

Just thought I'd warn you to get the new deal in writing. I called last year and negotiated the 9 month discount however after 6 months my bill went back up. I called and they said they had no record of the 9 months ever being issued to me so pay up! Several frustrating calls later I got absolutely nowhere. In the end the next time the price was going up like it is now I just cancelled. If you get the 9 months great but beware if there are issues it's your word against theirs so really try get written confirmation if you can. My lesson learned!

Advertisement