Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

stdidit wrote: »
    Is anyone getting 9 months half price that just have broadband with them?
    Yeah I've just got broadband and they gave me 9 months half price and the free modem. 240Mbs for 50 Euro is normal price.

A few other posters here have got the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

sunnyt wrote: »
    Just thought I'd warn you to get the new deal in writing. I called last year and negotiated the 9 month discount however after 6 months my bill went back up. I called and they said they had no record of the 9 months ever being issued to me so pay up! Several frustrating calls later I got absolutely nowhere. In the end the next time the price was going up like it is now I just cancelled. If you get the 9 months great but beware if there are issues it's your word against theirs so really try get written confirmation if you can. My lesson learned!

They got rapped on the knuckles about this hence the price increase to begin with - Ive had to do 3 negotiations for various relatives and have gotten an email with terms, price, etc for each.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

stdidit wrote: »
    Is anyone getting 9 months half price that just have broadband with them?

I've 360Mb broadband and world phone- just coming off a 9 month half price- and have a fresh 9 month half price....... Works out at 28.50 a month. Have the e-mail to confirm.

No point in not taking the phone with the phone package- its actually 8 quid cheaper with the phone package, than without.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Was told that price increase doesn't apply for me as I renewed contract in October (after that Comreg thing). I asked if I could cancel anyway and she said sure: Just just pay 400E cancellation fee. Before anyone asks I did receive the price increase email.

I should also mention I never got great deals from UPC/Virgin. I think in 5 years I got a 6 month half price offer once and already that was a nightmare to get. How some ppl here get 9month half price year after year is really impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

After reading this thread I've tried to get 9 months half price, but I'm a new customer and I'm not having any luck at all (moving house and I was never an account holder).

They have a €100 off if I order online before midnight, so not sure what to do.

360mb 4 months @ €40, 8 months @ €60 = €640 - €100 = €540 total

Any other new customers able to shed any light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

I've 360Mb broadband and world phone- just coming off a 9 month half price- and have a fresh 9 month half price....... Works out at 28.50 a month. Have the e-mail to confirm.

No point in not taking the phone with the phone package- its actually 8 quid cheaper with the phone package, than without.

Oh yeah, I've the phone as well, should have said that but never use it.

Thanks for the replies, might chance my arm ringing them again for the 9 months before the cooling off period is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah I've just got broadband and they gave me 9 months half price and the free modem. 240Mbs for 50 Euro is normal price.

A few other posters here have got the same.

I got 9 months half price today aswell, broadband and phone, doubled to 240mbps and new router and just received an email confirming it. All that from the Filipino call centre. Had to listen to the full hard sell but just kept saying no thanks until she went to 9 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I got the email from virgin but the half price isn't actually half the price of my bundle. My bundle is 65 and my half price offer is coming out at 38?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what bundle do you have for €65?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    what bundle do you have for €65?

240mb, anytime phone and basic Tv (15 channels)

• Advertisement

There is no bundle with analogue tv, so it's not going to be half price.
    You've got your broadband/phone at half price, then a seperate reduced charge for analogue I'd say.

Can you break down the full regular prices quoted in the contract

You should cancel the analogue, you'll still get the channels wither way, they come in raw on the cable. You can still amend your order at this stage.

240mb is usually €50 so you seem to be getting the tv for a reduced rate of €15?

Just double checked there, it's the play TV bundle add on I have, that's 15 per month. Then the 240mb and anytime world for 50. So ye I appear to be getting bb and phone half price but the Tv bundle discounted.

I'll see if they let me keep my half price for nine months if I cancel the play Tv...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Yes- I finished my 9 months half price at the end of Nov- and am now starting a new 9 months half price (and have the e-mail with all the details). I accepted 6 months half-price- and then when I saw people here being offered 9 months- as I was within my 14 days cooling off period, went back and had cancellations upgrade it to 9 months (and got a new e-mail confirming this).

They're also giving me a new phone (the old one is dead as a dodo).

free phone?

LG1234 wrote: »
    Just double checked there, it's the play TV bundle add on I have, that's 15 per month. Then the 240mb and anytime world for 50. So ye I appear to be getting bb and phone half price but the Tv bundle discounted.

I'll see if they let me keep my half price for nine months if I cancel the play Tv...

Never heard of play. Is it just the analogue channels or do you have a digital box/remote etc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

I am currently on bb TV and phone package paying 85euro pm, contract is up pritty soon and I am wondering what to do, I got this email Aswell and have until Jan 8th to cancell if I wish, I am not much of a TV person but the other half is obsessed with her mtv basic channel with the daily s###e that is on it. does anybody know if this channel is available through normal cable such as saoirview? ideally Internet would do us and get a saoirview box,!

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    mtv basic channel with the daily s###e that is on it. does anybody know if this channel is available through normal cable such as saoirview? ideally Internet would do us and get a saoirview box,!

MTV is not broadcast in the clear on satellite- aka you can not get it on Saorview or Freesat.

Check to see if you have an analogue signal connection on your cable- if you do- you'd get the 18 channel package from Virgin in analogue- gratis- which includes 6 hours of the MTV basic channel per day (its shared with 3 other channels in 6 hour blocks). This may suffice for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

About to call these guys later, what sort of contract lenghts have you been getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

I have the horizon box, is this hub 3.0 thing any good?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Never heard of play. Is it just the analogue channels or do you have a digital box/remote etc

Have the digital box and remote with the basic 15 channels that you'd get on analogue

asharkman wrote: »
    About to call these guys later, what sort of contract lenghts have you been getting?

Think we're all on 12 month contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I rang the loyalty dept this am looking for a decent deal to retain me as a (long-time) customer. I'm still on the old UPC style box / 30Mb package.

They offered me an upgrade to 240mb plus the Horizon box & router. They wouldn't match the new customer offer (€30/mth for 6 mths then revert to €85/mth) but after some haggling, they did agree to half price (€42.50) for 6 months before reverting to full price. 12 mth total term.

Anybody manage better than this? Really bugs me that we have to get into this horsetrading malarky. I'm still mulling over switching to Sky, Eir or Vodafone.

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Anybody manage better than this? Really bugs me that we have to get into this horsetrading malarky. I'm still mulling over switching to Sky, Eir or Vodafone.

Loads of people have managed 9 month half price offers from them- and one lucky person managed a 12 month (entire contract) half price offer (only one person on this thread managed to get it- but its remarkable, and by rights they should be offering something similar to long term customers).

I got 9 months half price- however, I actually took out a contract with Sky- and they were to come and install the dish etc- aka, I was fully prepared to leave, if they feel you're not really interested in leaving, they probably won't offer you as good a deal as you might otherwise get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭sector_000

sector_000 wrote: »
    Anybody had luck getting a repeat of 9 months 3 months full? They told me best they could offer was 6 @ half, 6 @ full because I have had 2 deals in a row (9 month half & 6 month half). I said I would cancel unless I got the 9 month as I am fed up of the constant yearly increases. No budge. 6 month@ half was final offer. So I scheduled cancellation. I have 240M BB, horizon max TV (no extra channels) and free phone calls in Ireland. Going to e92 / month with price rise.
    Anybody got negotiation advice? I had rang the regular 1908 number.... Irish service agent.

Well.... called again this morning to 1908.... got a nice friendly chap. Offered increase from 240Mb to 360Mb with Hub at €95/m, half price for 9m, usual 1 yr contract. Took that. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I rang the loyalty dept this am looking for a decent deal to retain me as a (long-time) customer. I'm still on the old UPC style box / 30Mb package.

They offered me an upgrade to 240mb plus the Horizon box & router. They wouldn't match the new customer offer (€30/mth for 6 mths then revert to €85/mth) but after some haggling, they did agree to half price (€42.50) for 6 months before reverting to full price. 12 mth total term.

I'd keep the old style box if I where you. Horizon is garbage you'd be able to get the newer style HDMI box off them though!

Sky basic is now €19 pm for 12m with €100 Prepaid card for next 3 days. They have half priced sports/movies or both too.

If I was to switch today for what I get with Virgin 3 rooms BB and sports I would be paying €67.50 for basic then €85.50 6 months or €77 then €95 that is with the sports. If I was to keep the BB with Virgin I'm still paying about €6 more after 6 months with sky for 300+ channels and sports but it will be worth it!

As long as Sky keep those offers going Virgin will be doing the offers. There's a war going on anybody who is ringing Virgin to cancel make sure they check what sky have on offer first, no need to tell Virgin what they have but as a last haggle throw it in there, The Q boxes are future proofed and are what Horizon should have been! imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I'd keep the old style box if I where you. Horizon is garbage you'd be able to get the newer style HDMI box off them though!

Sky basic is now €19 pm for 12m with €100 Prepaid card for next 3 days. They have half priced sports/movies or both too.

If I was to switch today for what I get with Virgin 3 rooms BB and sports I would be paying €67.50 for basic then €85.50 6 months or €77 then €95 that is with the sports. If I was to keep the BB with Virgin I'm still paying about €6 more after 6 months with sky for 300+ channels and sports but it will be worth it!

As long as Sky keep those offers going Virgin will be doing the offers. There's a war going on anybody who is ringing Virgin to cancel make sure they check what sky have on offer first, no need to tell Virgin what they have but as a last haggle throw it in there, The Q boxes are future proofed and are what Horizon should have been! imo

Thanks!

I want to keep our home phone, broadband & TV with the one provider. I've no interest in sports or movies (already have Netflix & use iTunes a lot too).

What's the difference between my old style black UPC box vs the newer HDMI one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Got the new Home Hub today, comes with a splitter to split the Horizon box off from the Media Hub, the Modem on the Horizon box was disabled once I plugged in the Media Hub. Have to say it seems an infinitely better modem/router than the Horizon ever was I am getting 120mb down and 25mb up on various wifi devices, range is much improved and stability so far is rock solid despite having 15+ devices connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I was only offered 4 months half price (plus new modem) when I called today.
    Sky variety deal package looks good though I think I'll go with that for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

Really mad now. On 70 euro package 120mb limited, 300 minutes and digital tv. Offered 4 months at 25, two months 65 and 6 months 70 which I accepted in sept.
    Got email, rang up to see what they would offer me to stay got transferred to a horrible irish girl who first told me I couldn't cancel as I had negotiated in sept and I wasn't getting the 4 euro increase, I said it states in the letter that I can cancel she went away and came back and said I could, but couldn't offer me anything as I previously was on an offer which astounded me and I said so I am not even worthy of an offer? She said I didn't say that, went away and came back and said 25 euro for 4 months is the best you are going to get.

As soon as I have something sorted out I will be giving my 30 days notice nothing would entice me to stay after her attitude. I hate having to negotiate this discount everytime and getting someone like her makes it even harder.

customer service obviously isn't for everyone.

normakelle wrote: »
    nothing would entice me to stay after her attitude. I hate having to negotiate this discount everytime and getting someone like her makes it even harder.

customer service obviously isn't for everyone.

Call them back.
    They have two or three complete and utter nightmares who are appalling to try and deal with- out of a reasonable crew who in the main will do their utmost to help you. I suspect I've been talking to the same psychopath a few weeks ago- her colleagues are perfectly fine though...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Guys, I am a bit confused here.

Yesterday, I called and got 9 months half price. I have the Horizon box.

Got the confirmation mail in the evening and everything was as negotiated.

Now just got a txt and an email message that "Your Virgin Media order is on its way". Nighline will deliver your Virgin Media order tomorrow.

Confusing par is that I never asked for any new equipment. So what new equipment they are sending? New horizon box? New hub? or what?? :confused:

Mail says "Don’t forget to pack up your old equipment and the driver can take it off your hands when he drops off your new kit"

Anyone any idea???

Advertisement