Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Anyone any idea???

You'll either get a Horizon Box, A Media Hub or both based on what's been said in this thread. The Hub is a great improvement on using the Horizon as the modem/router, and if you are on the normal HD box, the Horizon is also a great improvement, so either way you should end up better off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

From what I gather getting the virgin 240mb bb and phone for half price for nine months and then getting the sky basic offer for 19 a month and the 100 prepaid MasterCard is the best deal for the next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Inquitus wrote: »
    You'll either get a Horizon Box, A Media Hub or both based on what's been said in this thread. The Hub is a great improvement on using the Horizon as the modem/router, and if you are on the normal HD box, the Horizon is also a great improvement, so either way you should end up better off!

Thanks.

I already have the Horizon Box which works fine for me.

The girl I was talking to never mentioned anything about the Media Hub.

I dont mind getting the Media Hub but if they are just sending another Horizon box then what's the point?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Thanks.

I already have the Horizon Box which works fine for me.

The girl I was talking to never mentioned anything about the Media Hub.

I dont mind getting the Media Hub but if they are just sending another Horizon box then what's the point?

Probably be the Hub so, its way better than the Horizon as your modem/router so worth installing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Inquitus wrote: »
    Probably be the Hub so, its way better than the Horizon as your modem/router so worth installing imo.

You are right :)

I was just on to them on the chat. They said they are sending the new hub.

I didnt ask for it, so I was confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

LG1234 wrote: »
    Have the digital box and remote with the basic 15 channels that you'd get on analogue

Oh right. Maybe don't cancel the TV part so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Loads of people have managed 9 month half price offers from them- and one lucky person managed a 12 month (entire contract) half price offer (only one person on this thread managed to get it- but its remarkable, and by rights they should be offering something similar to long term customers).

I got 9 months half price- however, I actually took out a contract with Sky- and they were to come and install the dish etc- aka, I was fully prepared to leave, if they feel you're not really interested in leaving, they probably won't offer you as good a deal as you might otherwise get.

Just off the phone to them again. I spoke to 3 different people in customer loyalty today & the best deal I could get was still 6 mths at half price on the €85 deal (that's for the upgrade to 250Mb + Horizon box + the new media hub). The good thing is it's only a 12mth contract, so I can always move to a new provider at that stage if I'm not happy.

Fair play to anybody who gets a better deal. Either way, I've upgraded the package and will spend €250 less on Virgin Media in 2017 than I otherwise would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Settled today, tired of arguing with them.

3 days credit for the outages, €45 for 6 months and €70 for 6, 240mb Internet and middle TV package, new media hub and new phone. So actually a €5 increase for 3 months as I'm in the middle of 6 months half price on the €80 bundle but saving €14 per month on the last six

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

Currently on a 360 Mb/Horizon TV Standard/Mobile World package. Got offered 4 months half price from an agent in the UK (or so it sounded) and that was it. Nothing more offered. Will go again in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

but i had a deal with them on my package i rang last night said i wanted my tv decoder and the guy was very efficcent so much so that i got a text of Nightline today to say that it would be delivered in the afternoon, and i would get a text within 2 hours which i did not recieve

anyway it just came i wasnt there and the person that was there signed for it well i was just in at 9pm i decided to set it up all looked well till i took the box out and there was something inside it loose ,

on further inspection i noticed the front of the box was damaged and not sitting in right , unfortunately they were closed when i rang back

i will be alright with just getting a replacement ? even though it was signed for ?

and they cut my tv off in the meantime aghhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Thanks!

I want to keep our home phone, broadband & TV with the one provider. I've no interest in sports or movies (already have Netflix & use iTunes a lot too).

What's the difference between my old style black UPC box vs the newer HDMI one?

Hdmi has a scart and a HDMI output plus an optical audio out and you get the free to air HD channels RTE1/2 HD BBC1/2 HD etc... There is more storage with it too. You can't get the HD channels with the older box and have less storage. If you don't have a HD telly though you will still benefit from bigger storage with the newer HDMI box.

They'll probably tell you they don't do them anymore but they do. Friend of mine got one off them and was adamant about not wanting horizon they sent him the HDMI box and the one they sent him has even more storage than the two I have. Probably a 1TB hard drive in it the one's I have are 320GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I cancelled the tv last month due to this, guess what? They cancelled it alright but they're stilll charging me for it :mad:

Basically you're billed in advance for any products active on your bill date. You will get a credit back for the days you paid for but didn't get on your next bill. That's how it works with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Basically you're billed in advance for any products active on your bill date. You will get a credit back for the days you paid for but didn't get on your next bill. That's how it works with them.

On my bill it says I'm charged from 7th december to 7th January for tv, but my tv was cancelled last week? No credit back notice at all regarding this.

This surely doesn't make sense right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Just off phone to the Philippines, I presume, brisk 18 min call.
    Currently happy on 240 Anytime World, they said they'd extend my half price offer to 6 months (450 per year), I said I knew of lots of people on a web forum getting 9 months :), she put me on hold and then said I could get 9 months half price if i upgraded to 360 mobile world for 30 per month then 60 for last 3 - which also happens to total 450 per year. So I took that, didn't feel like haggling any further, pretty happy with that as it is.

Thanks to all for posting here, I always enjoy these bi-annual Virgin contract changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Current package 120Mb BB & Phone
    New cost 47.50
    Got offered 6mths 1/2 price last week but decided to wait an have another go

Just off with phillipines now and quizzed why some customers get 9mths vs me being offered 6mth. I was told select customers on bundles Phone/Tv etc could get 9mths 1/2 price. I re-stated that customers on BB only have been offered 9mths 1/2 price confirmed on boards.ie..They did the on hold trick & came back offering 9mths 1/2 price if i moved to the 240MB BB & Phone.. so 23.75 for 9 mths & 50 per month for next 3... Sold!

Dont take no for an answer! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

elWizard wrote: »
    Just off phone to the Philippines, I presume, brisk 18 min call.
    Currently happy on 240 Anytime World, they said they'd extend my half price offer to 6 months (450 per year), I said I knew of lots of people on a web forum getting 9 months :), she put me on hold and then said I could get 9 months half price if i upgraded to 360 mobile world for 30 per month then 60 for last 3 - which also happens to total 450 per year. So I took that, didn't feel like haggling any further, pretty happy with that as it is.

Thanks to all for posting here, I always enjoy these bi-annual Virgin contract changes!
    Current package 120Mb BB & Phone
    New cost 47.50
    Got offered 6mths 1/2 price last week but decided to wait an have another go

Just off with phillipines now and quizzed why some customers get 9mths vs me being offered 6mth. I was told select customers on bundles Phone/Tv etc could get 9mths 1/2 price. I re-stated that customers on BB only have been offered 9mths 1/2 price confirmed on boards.ie..They did the on hold trick & came back offering 9mths 1/2 price if i moved to the 240MB BB & Phone.. so 23.75 for 9 mths & 50 per month for next 3... Sold!

Dont take no for an answer! :-)

Very interesting thread. Unsurprisingly, they seem more likely to offer better deals if they can convince people to uplevel their package.

I've never really bothered haggling at the end of each 12month period, but I was really annoyed at yet another price hike this year. Our service offering has remained the same for years, so it really bugged me seeing our monthly bill increase every year.

Having read this thread, I'll be haggling every year :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I got onto chat earlier as nothing had changed on my account since calling 8 days ago. The changes were definitely reflected on my account but the new hub was stuck in limbo somewhere. They just said they'd flagged it and the appropriate department would investigate. Speed still hasn't upgraded either which they said wouldn't happen until I got the new hub.

He told me they'd offer a credit to my account due to the fact that I haven't been given the service I'd agreed to for the past few days, and to contact them again once it was sorted out.

So anybody who's been left waiting I'd advise contacting and seeing if they offer anything in return. Don't know if I'll get the new hub this side of Christmas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads is there somewhere on your account to check that the half price deal has been applied?

Lads is there somewhere on your account to check that the half price deal has been applied?

You should get an order confirmation confirming the new contract pricing and then see it in your next bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

Called them today and at first she said she would cancel the price increase on my account and then when I said I'm still not happy she would only give me €15 off for 6 months and couldn't give me any half price deal :mad: Said I'd call back tomorrow ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Philippines:
    Offered 20e off for 4 months (the 240mb+phone thing)
    Said is that the best, she said yes.
    I said was hoping for 9mths halfprice for moving up a step and staying but she wouldn't budge.
    Asked for cancellation procedure, will phone back in a few days

PS she flat out denied there was any halfprice offer whether 4months, 6months or 9 months

You need to take a different approach. Quote an offer from a rival company. 10 months half price of whatever sky or eir or bbnet or digi web are doing. Their calls are audited and they aren't supposed to give you stuff just cos you ask.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    PS she flat out denied there was any halfprice offer whether 4months, 6months or 9 months

The staff in the Philippines do not have the same leeway that the Irish and UK staff have- and for a 6 or 9 month half price deal- the only section who can offer this to you are the cancellation's team.

Girl in the philipines gave me 9 months half price last week.

Select the option that you are leaving for another provider rather than cancelling over price.

Nalz wrote: »
    On my bill it says I'm charged from 7th december to 7th January for tv, but my tv was cancelled last week? No credit back notice at all regarding this.

This surely doesn't make sense right?

What date did you send the email to cancel tv

You need to take a different approach. Quote an offer from a rival company. 10 months half price of whatever sky or eir or bbnet or digi web are doing. Their calls are audited and they aren't supposed to give you stuff just cos you ask.

Sky are 12 months half price- and they will at a push reduce it further to 12.50 a month for 12 months (+25 a month for line rental). If you already have a phone line- its 12.50 a month for 100Mb broadband- and despite what Virgin try to tell you- its not as crap as they are suggesting it is..........

If you're into gaming- keep away from Virgin- the Home Hub 3 is powered by an Intel Puma 6 processor- which has severe issues with lag (details here)

I actually took out a Sky contract and was going ahead with it- before I was given a 9 month half-price offer.

Sure. You don't have to quote a real offer though!

Sure. You don't have to quote a real offer though!

They know what their competitors are quoting- seriously, don't bother making up offers, you'll be laughed at........

• Advertisement

I did and I wasn't.
    Twice this year. Once in Ireland and once in Manila

Advertisement