Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You need to take a different approach. Quote an offer from a rival company. 10 months half price of whatever sky or eir or bbnet or digi web are doing. Their calls are audited and they aren't supposed to give you stuff just cos you ask.

I did all that (should have put it in the above)
    Very polite phone call, she was very hard to understand and think she could not grasp what I was saying fully either.
    Ah well, will call again

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    Well eventually got the email. Left if for a week then rang to end my contract which was due up in April but to continue with current service, said I would move after the christmas.
    Offered the standard 4 months at half price etc, so as he was reading the terms I notice that my anytime local/national/mobile was now only anytime local & national, the mobile is gone, so said no. Proceed with cancel contract.
    Now he offers 1. New Horizion box, 2. 360 Mb and includes the anytime mobile. 3. 6 months at half price.
    Had they not upped the price I was going to stay with them, their service is good for me, this way I end up saving 200-300 and I get a better package.

My approach was simple, I'm ending the contract, and moving on.

Happy Camper :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are there many rivals doing calls to mobiles? I think eir are?
    Be careful that you aren't losing channels if you're on the max TV pack. The basic horizon pack doesn't have the documentaries, music etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Just got 9 months half price for mother in law, Jesus was talking to lovely girl on phone and 80 year old mother in law on house phone on loud speaker confirming she is allowing me to talk on her behalf, it was like a sketch from the two Ronnies :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Does anyone have the number for the Irish cancellation team? I've got through to Manila both times I've called and I couldn't understand what the girl was saying to me

• Advertisement

There's a number 061272190 quoted in some old threads
    Not sure that it still works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There's a number 061272190 quoted in some old threads
    Not sure that it still works.

Just ring and ask to get transferred. You can even talk to them on web chat.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

I rang virgin yesterday, spoke to a local agent,explained I was on the 240 and home phone including ringing mobiles and I was looking for the same deal that I was on previously.
    I also mentioned that the wifi speeds were poor. I did 2 speed tests 38mb and 29mb. the best she could do was 6 month half price and 52.50 thereafter. Offered no solution to my broadband speeds, she wasn't interested actually.

There was no budge and and a schedule to cancel was initiated. from initial contact to terminating call 90 seconds, now that's customer service.

I rang virgin today after checking other broadband suppliers and asked them would they reconsider and match their previous offer. I mentioned that I was going to sign with Vodafone tomorrow and get their broadband and phone package and was giving them one last opportunity.

The lady in the Philippines said they don't do 9 month half price deals. I said ok, I wont be ringing you again and also tell your colleagues not to bother ringing me nearer the cut off time with a better deal as I'll be committed to a Vodafone contract.

While the vodafone package will be more expensive they assured me my eircom line was excellent and I would get very close to 100mb on wifi and that my home phone could be a pstn line instead of a voip at no extra cost. I always take people at face value so trusted what she said, but I have 14 days to cancel from when broad band goes live if I am not happy. After my initial 6 months deal with vodafone finishes my monthly fee is €50. Netflix is also included for for the first 6 months.

I thought I'd share my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Long chat yesterday with rep. said I was moving over poor broadband, straight away he offered me a new modem as they were now sending these to all customers! Was nice to him, told him i had constantly complained of poor broadband, signal dropping off of horizon box etc. Also mentioned that I had asked for the new modem last week and was fobbed off and that VM obviously knew there was an issue with the modem in the Horizon box and continually denied it,
    Then was offered 4 months half price, laughed that one off as I told rep that Sky were giving me 6 months half. then he offered 6 months half price, no €4 price increase and the new modem. tried to hold out for 9 months half price but he said i had already got that deal already up to October this year :) So eventually gave in and took the 6 months, saving about €255 per year and possibly a modem that might actually work properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Got 1/2 price for 6 months today from a very nice lady in Ireland, possibly Limerick. Spoke to the Philippines first, and they transferred me to Ireland (loyalty).

She gave me the deal after a bit of discussion - new modem on the way too, with better wiffy coverage. Overall, a reasonably painless 20 mins on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

The staff in the Philippines do not have the same leeway that the Irish and UK staff have- and for a 6 or 9 month half price deal- the only section who can offer this to you are the cancellation's team.

Thats not right. I got 9 months half price only couple of days back from Philippines call centre. I did not have to push too hard. She offered 4 months, I asked for 9, she consulted and agreed.

My friend called today, got connected to Irish call centre, pushed, threatened to leave and all. Finally settled for 6 month half price. He is a long time customer.

Seems very random and depends who you are talking to, which call centre doesnt make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

sky offer finishing today for tv of 19 p/m and 100 credit card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Rang got an Irish guy, offered me 4 months half price without me even saying I wanted anything, but I said I wanted to cancel unless there was a better offer, he went away, came back and said 4 months was all they could do as already on a deal, so went ahead and cancelled. On 240mb, Horizon Max, phone whatever, hardly use it...currently on 4 months half price due to Comreg thing.

Will see if retention team try to get in touch but will start pricing up my options elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Inquitus wrote: »
    You should get an order confirmation confirming the new contract pricing and then see it in your next bill.

This is the problem I have.
    Was told 2 days ago I was being offered 9 months half price. Rang today as I didn't get any confirmation of it and found out they didn't process the change even though my account had a record of the offers made to me.
    Told again this morning that it would be put through and I'd get an email confirming it........2.5 hours later and still no email.

How hard is it to update a change on a contract and send an instant confirmation email to the customer...? I'm sick of wasting time contacting these..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Make sure they cancel the wi fi on your existing horizon box as when I got new modem this week they hadn't so old horizon signal was causing issues with the new one. Sorted now though after a phone call.

P!ss poor company to deal with IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

... was on 240mb and Horizon with multiroom for 101e /pm, had a chat with very nice Irish lady and got upgrade to 360mb plus  Horizon mid tv pack plus free mobile calls plus new media hub for 59e for first 4 months, 91e (including January price hike) after that. in general happy with this

There are only 2 horizon tv packs, so be careful which one they put you on. There should be no mid pack.
    91 doesn't sound right at full price including the second box, but the email should clarify which pack you're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Had a good chat with a couple of people today. They previously offered €188 discount over 12 months last week increased that to €255 today then settled for €293 discount.

Staying with Virgin. €150 savings if I had of cancelled TV and switched to sky with the same channels I got. They even added HD sports.

Those magic words.
    is that the best you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

My sister rang up yesterday got 6 full 6 half

I told her to call back and push for 9

Does she have a cooling off period to cancel after accepting 6 half 6 full price?

14 days cooling off period yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

My sister rang up yesterday got 6 full 6 half

I told her to call back and push for 9

Does she have a cooling off period to cancel after accepting 6 half 6 full price?

Yes. 14 days.

Keep in mind the window for being able to get out of your contract closes 30 days after they send the original notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Folie a deux

Called them today and at first she said she would cancel the price increase on my account and then when I said I'm still not happy she would only give me €15 off for 6 months and couldn't give me any half price deal :mad: Said I'd call back tomorrow ..

Gave a call back last night and got 6 months half price with no bother. Very happy with that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The staff really seem to be playing hard-ball with customers- why?
    Its no hair off their backs.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

My wife called a few days ago (I prefer to negotiate but despite us finally getting me on the account as a 'named contact' when I called last week the fairly rude guy in the cancellation dept refused to discuss things with me, said it needed to be my wife as account holder), we are on the 240 + home phone deal and two months into a 4 month 1/2 price contract due to the Comreg issue.

She pushed for at least 6 months half price but no luck, and we've now cancelled, with service ending in early Jan. I don't particularly want to go through the hassle of going to Eir and would rather stay, so long as we're offered at least 6 months 1/2 price. Do you think I should call them to request a better deal? Wait until early January? Or wait to see if they'll call us to arrange picking up the modem, which we were told would be after service ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A word of warning for gamers, the new Home Hub rendered Overwatch unplayable over Wifi for my son, I was able to sort it by running a Cat5 from the Hub to the PC, which is not an option for a lot of people. Seems to be due to a firmware issue thats yet to be patched reading what the interwebs had to say on the matter, apparently impacts PS4 and Xbone over wifi as well.

Inquitus wrote: »
    A word of warning for gamers, the new Home Hub rendered Overwatch unplayable over Wifi for my son, I was able to sort it by running a Cat5 from the Hub to the PC, which is not an option for a lot of people. Seems to be due to a firmware issue thats yet to be patched reading what the interwebs had to say on the matter, apparently impacts PS4 and Xbone over wifi as well.

Stick to the wired connection when gaming. WiFi is not the best setup to game with. You'd be better off getting a cat6 cable, cat5 is only capable of 100mb/s max. cat6 is 1gb/s so max speeds of router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am not sure where the 9 month deals are, rang twice and got nowhere, I told them I have no interest in changing my TV box or broadband box and yet 6 months half price is all they will offer and I am a customer with them for over 10 years.

All I get told is we are the cheapest in the market. I am seriously considering binning the TV, I only watch 2 shows on it, both which I could if I wanted watch on the RTE player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

2 days, 2 calls out, 1 misssd call in.

Call 1, Manila: Offered upgrade to 360mb, new modem. 40pm x4, 95pm x8 - rejected. Said friends and colleagues had offers of 6/9 at half price. 9 not available, but offered 6. Said I'd think about it.

Missed a call a few hours later.

Call 2, Manila: Outlined my concerns which were keeping me from accepting 6 months, including service outages, underhand tactics, and having to buy in new equipment to get net service upstairs. Lots of back and forth about how great their service is and how I am poised to order in Sky "right now".

Offered 9 months half price as a one off gesture.

Pro tip: Stick to your guns as to why you need a better deal, while REMAINING POLITE! The reps know this has to be gone through, so that the customer is happy, but they can't be accused of just giving the big offers away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

I got a call in relation to my cancellation but was driving and asked her to call me back .Havent got a call back yet but hoping I get 9 mths.Was a bit surprised to receive the call Though .Will update if she rings back

Advertisement