Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Stick to the wired connection when gaming. WiFi is not the best setup to game with. You'd be better off getting a cat6 cable, cat5 is only capable of 100mb/s max. cat6 is 1gb/s so max speeds of router.

Gaming is an issue with the new Virgin hub- its to do with the Intel Puma 6 chipset that powers the hub. Apparently they are trying to rush a firmware update out- however, if you google Puma 6 Virgin Compal issues- you'll see numerous forums all over the place complaining about it being impossible to game on the new hub because of random lag playing havoc with connections.

Its a known issue- there isn't a work-around (yet) and if you mention it to the Irish staff- they are aware of it (though most of them will play schmum and deny they've heard anything).

Last year I only got 4 months half price on the 360MB plan.

This year, I got offered 4 months again, but said I'd think about it. Called back and had 6 moths half price sorted within 2 mins. Could have probably pushed for more, but already have enough things to sort before Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Just to share my experience. Long time customer on an old 120 mb broadband plus phone and basic TV package which was going up to 75 per month.

Had two calls and one intervening session on the live chat. Basically argued that we hadn't experienced any improvements in service for years, were being treated less favorably than new customers and were subsiding their better packages. In the end we got upgraded to 240 mb bb and new equipment for 45 for 9 months and 70 for 3 months.

Didn't hear anything for over a week then...turned out that the sales agent didn't actually load the new order so we got a 25 euro credit on our account for the delay. So it'll now work out at around 49 per month for the twelve month period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I managed to get 9 months half price (€25.00) and 3 months full price (€50.00).

240mb broadband and landlines calls

They had offered six months half price but I told them I had being having issues with the old modem etc and eventually (5 mins on hold) they increased the offer.

I am very pleased with the deal I got :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

They had offered six months half price but I told them I had being having issues with the old modem etc and eventually (5 mins on hold) they increased the offer.

I thought that they no longer offer 9 months half price to those on BB and Phone only.

Well done!

• Advertisement

Amouar wrote: »
    I thought that they no longer offer 9 months half price to those on BB and Phone only.

Well done!

That's what I heard too but I decided to try and play hardball and said I was having issues with the modem etc

Irish call centre aswell and a really nice customer service lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kellyer13

Hi All,
    Would someone be able to tell me how this affects the customers who are in the middle of a promtion period of €30 for 4 months and €50 thereafter. Deal expires in January. Would I be able to negotiate the January onwards deal now or will I only be able to negotiate the new deal once it begins?

Thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Kellyer13 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Would someone be able to tell me how this affects the customers who are in the middle of a promtion period of €30 for 4 months and €50 thereafter. Deal expires in January. Would I be able to negotiate the January onwards deal now or will I only be able to negotiate the new deal once it begins?

Thanks a mill

New contract effective of the day of signing. Any previous deals cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

athtrasna wrote: »
    New contract effective of the day of signing. Any previous deals cancelled

Does that mean my current bill should show a discount? I was expecting it to only kick in in Jan.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Does that mean my current bill should show a discount? I was expecting it to only kick in in Jan.

My new payments start in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

A quick question guys. Got my hub delivered yesterday but didn't set it up immediately.

Returned home today to find no internet on the horizon box. Tried setting up the hub and no internet either.

Just wondering when they disable the modem on the horizon box? Or is it just the case of broadband being down?? I am in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I cancelled our TV package as the horizon box is just utter muck, and for some reason they sent out a new router as we wanted to keep our broadband service (we already had a separate router as I didn't want to use the TV box for that).

I don't know if we'd been on the wrong plan which they corrected at their end, or whether the new router is just much better, but speedtest.net now typically shows a download speed of about 190Mbps. Before, we were lucky to get over 45Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Is your broadband up? Which area you are in?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

FrostyJim wrote: »

Your next bill, after the date of you taking out a new contract, will feature X number of days on the new 12 month contract. Note- Virgin calculate usage up to 10 days before the actual date of issue of the bill- i.e. if you make phone calls out of package- they may not feature until a subsequent bill etc.

For example:

You are 'out of contract' and sign a new 12 month contract with Virgin today. Your normal date of issue for your bill is the 1st of the month. Between now and the next first of the month there are 11 days- your next bill is calculated @ 20 days on your old contract and 11 days on your new half price offer.

That is- your new contract kicks in on the day you initiate the it- not the date of your next bill (if that makes sense).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Got the exact same deal with them online yesterday, happy with that! Handy to do it online too, was able to keep working away and have them on the side of the screen haggling!

Got the exact same deal with them online yesterday, happy with that! Handy to do it online too, was able to keep working away and have them on the side of the screen haggling!

You mean online chat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You mean online chat?

Yeah I went through the Contact Us, accounting and billing section, spoke to an agent through that, had a chat with that person, got offered 6 months half price there which I rejected and they patched me through to the loyalty department who reads your previous conversation with the first agent and goes on from there.

Yeah I went through the Contact Us, accounting and billing section, spoke to an agent through that, had a chat with that person, got offered 6 months half price there which I rejected and they patched me through to the loyalty department who reads your previous conversation with the first agent and goes on from there.

Didn't know that you can reach loyalty dpt through chat!
    Definitely saves times talking on the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Didn't know that you can reach loyalty dpt through chat!
    Definitely saves times talking on the phone!

Still takes an hour to talk to them but at least you can do other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Can't get rid of Virgin BB (don't want dsl and there's no fibre) but I'm really tempted to dump Horizon for Sky Q even though it would cost me more in total. Virgin are just utter garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Same here. I just not sure can I face the effort of setting up a sat system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Rang up - got a deal

43.24 for 4 months, 70 thereafter.

Rang back a week later - quoted the offer on the site for new customers

43.24 for 6 months, 70 thereafter.

Don't be afraid to walk away! Deal was 240MB internet, phone and basic TV + 50 Ch + 16 HD CH.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tried to get onto their Customer Loyalty chat and was told they are offline, also told there are no offers at present.
    What a crowd of wasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

slave1 wrote: »
    Tried to get onto their Customer Loyalty chat and was told they are offline, also told there are no offers at present.
    What a crowd of wasters

I just called up Sales and asked to be put through - took about 3-5 minutes in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

beauf wrote: »
    Same here. I just not sure can I face the effort of setting up a sat system

You don't need a satellite with Sky Q - you can do it over broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,284 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

dpe wrote: »

That's not correct at all. You still need a dish to use Sky Q.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

dpe wrote: »

That's incorrect information, the main Sky Q box still needs two inputs from a satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kellyer13

slave1 wrote: »
    What a crowd of wasters
    I got the same speel, despite spending a good hour back and forth - will give it a day and try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Had missed a call last week and yesterday from them & was just about to go on chat to them when a lady rang me .she asked why I was cancelling & I Said it was because of price & I could do better with sky or Eir.She said about the speeds with them and offered me 6 mths half off .I said a few friends had got 9mths and without hesitation she said I can do that no problem .All done in less than 2 mins .Delighted now .
    I had previously tried and been offered 4mths but went ahead with cancellation .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

shardylan wrote: »
    Had missed a call last week and yesterday from them & was just about to go on chat to them when a lady rang me .she asked why I was cancelling & I Said it was because of price & I could do better with sky or Eir.She said about the speeds with them and offered me 6 mths half off .I said a few friends had got 9mths and without hesitation she said I can do that no problem .All done in less than 2 mins .Delighted now .
    I had previously tried and been offered 4mths but went ahead with cancellation .

How long after cancelling did they ring you? I cancelled early last week but haven't had a phone call except the one to arrange collection of their equipment.

Advertisement