Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

How long after cancelling did they ring you? I cancelled early last week but haven't had a phone call except the one to arrange collection of their equipment.

I cancelled on the 8th Dec and contract was due to finish 8th Jan .They rang me last Thurs but I was driving so told them to ring back in half hour (they didn't ) They rang yesterday but I missed it then they rang back today
    I didn't get the call regarding collecting equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

Got the price change email few weeks ago, have until tomorrow to cancel. Was unsure about my chances as I am only 3 months into new deal as I am still on deal with €40 pmth discount.
    Anyway, called the call centre tonight and pressed option for Cxl account. Got through to Loyalty department.
    Explained why I was leaving and was immediately offered 9 months at half price €46 and remaining 3 months at €92 for the 360mb TV, Broadband & Phone package.
    Said I would think about it and he gave me a ref number to quote the offer he gave me when I called back. Don't think I will get a better deal ?
    I am thinking of adding a mobile on to the package and tried to see if they would do me a deal on that too. Put me through to Mobile dept and best I could get was €15pm discount for 6 months off their unlimited package. Has anyone managed to get a deal including mobile with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Am I right in saying that once an offer from VM is made and I agree, I should be getting an email confirmation about it?because I rang yesterday and I got 6 months half price, but no email confirmation yet. I remember getting one in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Rang the Loyalty Team direct this morning and basically put it to them that I agreed a 12 month contract last march ( 9 months discounted) and now they want to up the price away from what was agreed.

Without asking I was offered , €20 off broadband for 4 months , and €5 off phone for 6 months and €5 off TV for 6 months (Total of €140) for agreeing to a new 12 month contract.

I said no and quoted some deals from this thread , I was told these options are not open to me as I have just had a 9 month discounted offer !

I told them I wanted to shop around with other suppliers as I have up to the 24th of Dec to Cancel without penalty , he wouldn't budge further from his original discounted offer so I left it at that and will try again tomorrow !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

j4vier wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that once an offer from VM is made and I agree, I should be getting an email confirmation about it?because I rang yesterday and I got 6 months half price, but no email confirmation yet. I remember getting one in the past

Yes, you should get a confirmation mail. Ring them again if you dont get it.

Usually takes few hours for the mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

j4vier wrote: »

I got the email about a day later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Just on to VM through chat last night. As I was one of the people affected by the Data Commissioner ruling last Sept about contract notifications and as a result, I got a new contract with 6 months half price, then the new price increase from January does not impact me.
    That seems to contradict what some of you guys on here have experienced. But the person in VM was adamant about this and as a result wasn't budging on any new offer.
    Will have to wait and see what happens in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

jay0109 wrote: »
    Just on to VM through chat last night. As I was one of the people affected by the Data Commissioner ruling last Sept about contract notifications and as a result, I got a new contract with 6 months half price, then the new price increase from January does not impact me.
    That seems to contradict what some of you guys on here have experienced. But the person in VM was adamant about this and as a result wasn't budging on any new offer.
    Will have to wait and see what happens in January

Can I ask what package did you have prior and what did you have after? Was there any difference? What date did you sign your new contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Got 6 months have price via chat on first asking. Also offered new modem but we already have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

ronano wrote: »
    Can I ask what package did you have prior and what did you have after? Was there any difference? What date did you sign your new contract

I'm on 240mb Horizon Max and Anytime World. Was on that before also.
    I signed up to the new contract on 24/09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Does anyone know - I plan to move house around April, if I get locked in another 12 month contract now, do I have to pay cancellation fees or will I be able to just move the contract and modem to the new house (200m down the road, needs a cable installation).

If I don't get a discount this time, I won't be in a 12 month contract, and will just be able to move, right? with no cancellation fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Got the exact same deal with them online yesterday, happy with that! Handy to do it online too, was able to keep working away and have them on the side of the screen haggling!
    +1 took a bit of haggling but got the same offer.
    75e extra for me to spend on useless gadgets next year for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am worn out, was promised a callback from the loyalty team 5 days ago after getting nowhere ringing them up, no call happened, tried the online chat who told me to try chatting later or phone again myself.

Zero customer service skills. I think I will just bin the TV service and just watch the programmes I like via the RTE player or live TV service. (I only watch 2 shows on the TV as it is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

rocky wrote: »
    Does anyone know - I plan to move house around April, if I get locked in another 12 month contract now, do I have to pay cancellation fees or will I be able to just move the contract and modem to the new house (200m down the road, needs a cable installation).

If I don't get a discount this time, I won't be in a 12 month contract, and will just be able to move, right? with no cancellation fees.

You can just move the contract to your new house. It wont extend the contract and you will not have to pay any cancellation fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭redarmy

not long off phone to them, offered 4 months said no thanks,,then 6 months, no thanks. came back with 9 months,half price, happy days :):) contract was up in 3 weeks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have them for broadband and landline.

Was paying €59.95 for 360 mb broadband and landline with Mobile world, unlimited calls to 22 countries.

Got an e-mail that it was going up by €2.50 per month.

So I used chat today and threatened to leave. Agent was vey well versed on Eir's and Vodafone's prices, offers and limitatons.

Best deal I could get was price held at €60 per month and €20 off for 4 months. So I've saved €110 over the year.
    Don't think it's bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Specifically said when I got the discount I need no new equipment and got the fella who processed it to confirm that three times when talking. Tonight new router from Virgin c/o Nightline.

Its one of them white one's are they the ones that have trouble with WiFi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Specifically said when I got the discount I need no new equipment and got the fella who processed it to confirm that three times when talking. Tonight new router from Virgin c/o Nightline.

Its one of them white one's are they the ones that have trouble with WiFi?

I have that and haven't had any issues. In west Dublin so I don't know about other areas.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The white modem is their new hub, it's their best router to date in my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aquos76 wrote: »

Its due to get a firmware update (probably late Jan) because of the issues with the Intel Puma 6 chipset. It suffers severe lag- most noticeably during online gaming and/or video calling or conferencing. The issues with wifi have not been resolved on the Compal boxes- and Global are playing schmum over it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Best is a weak word especially when you compare the previous modems to best of breed ;)

[RANT]
    How much effort did you spend on repositioning or re-orientating the previous modem ?
    Tip
    ANY WiFi device doesn't have an external antenna might work better if standing up on it's end or side with the top facing you :)

Anyway
    Does it allow dual bands at the same time ?
    Does it allow you to use the USB port for media storage ?
    Does it allow bridging ?
    Does it allow any of the other features removed from the stock modem by the customised Virgin firmware ?

Can you confirm it doesn't have that Intel chipset / or at least the firmware update that removes the 200ms jitter ?

[/RANT]

Actually had no choice but to use the new Hub 3 they sent. They sent an update to the Technicolor one and it reset all settings and knocked the WiFi on (2nd time in 2 weeks). I use a separate router for gaming and WiFi that's connected to the Virgin one. When the WiFi is on, on the virgin hub the other router won't work. Spent an hour trying to turn WiFi off with no joy. Then set up the Hub 3 and put in modem mode.

What is the address for the Hub 3 settings page? 192.168.0.1 won't let me back into that page after turning on modem mode.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Best is a weak word especially when you compare the previous modems to best of breed ;)

[RANT]
    How much effort did you spend on repositioning or re-orientating the previous modem ?
    Tip
    ANY WiFi device doesn't have an external antenna might work better if standing up on it's end or side with the top facing you :)

Anyway
    Does it allow bridging ?
    Does it allow any of the other features removed from the stock modem by the customised Virgin firmware ?

Can you confirm it doesn't have that Intel chipset / or at least the firmware update that removes the 200ms jitter ?

[/RANT]

As i said, this 'best' is in my opinion and based on my experiences with previous routers they supplied me. Some of you questions are a bit technical for my knowledge, however, I can answer that it does allow dual bands at the same time, never tried the usb post for media sharing, and yes, there is an option to allow the router be used as a modem only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Actually had no choice but to use the new Hub 3 they sent. They sent an update to the Technicolor one and it reset all settings and knocked the WiFi on (2nd time in 2 weeks). I use a separate router for gaming and WiFi that's connected to the Virgin one. When the WiFi is on, on the virgin hub the other router won't work. Spent an hour trying to turn WiFi off with no joy. Then set up the Hub 3 and put in modem mode.

What is the address for the Hub 3 settings page? 192.168.0.1 won't let me back into that page after turning on modem mode.

192.168.100.1 is the new address of the VM hub when in modem mode. Only one ethernet port (port 4 nearest the coax cable) will work while in modem mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

240mb broadband / standard TV / phone, going up from €80 to €84 per month.

Rang customer loyalty, they were very kind and offered me (after a little haggling!) 6 months half price and 6 months capped at €70 with the price staying at €70 after the 12 months contract are over.

[RANT]
    Tip

Anyway
    Does it allow bridging ?

[/RANT]

Yes it allows dual bands at the same time.
    There's no usb port.
    When on an Ipv4 address and Horizon Wifree disabled it can be bridged.
    I've no idea about firmware as I've never seen an unbranded version to make a comparison.
    I asked my children who game a lot and they've no problems with lag etc.
    I've never used it for voip so can't comment on jitter. My Samknows monthly statistics are very consistent.

jca wrote: »
    192.168.100.1 is the new address of the VM hub when in modem mode. Only one ethernet port (port 4 nearest the coax cable) will work while in modem mode.

Cheers. Have it in port #1 its working fine.

Cheers. Have it in port #1 its working fine.

That's strange because port 4 is the only one working on mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jca wrote: »
    That's strange because port 4 is the only one working on mine.

2,3 and 4 work on mine- not port 1.

Hub gets a shed load of errors- the list below is representative of the errors it logs on a daily basis- heres from the last day or two:

23-12-2016 03:19:43 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

23-12-2016 02:26:50 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

22-12-2016 18:56:53 notice TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

22-12-2016 15:56:48 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

22-12-2016 10:03:41 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

22-12-2016 06:29:42 critical Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

• Advertisement

2,3 and 4 work on mine- not port 1.

Hub gets a shed load of errors- the list below is representative of the errors it logs on a daily basis- heres from the last day or two:

23-12-2016 03:19:43 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

23-12-2016 02:26:50 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

22-12-2016 18:56:53 notice TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

22-12-2016 15:56:48 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

22-12-2016 10:03:41 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

22-12-2016 06:29:42 critical Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=dc:53:7c:cd:52:98;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:5f:11;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

??

Advertisement