Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jca wrote: »
    ??

Puma 6 chipset issue- which it looks like doesn't bother some people- but it sure as hell rears its head here with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭dubrov

For anyone thinking about deconsolidating Horizon to the new media hub here are a few things to consider

Advantages
    Wireless Ac - I got over 200Mb Wirelessly vs about 100Mb on wireless n. No change when using devices capable of n and g only. Pings are about the same

Disadvantages
    Extra plug, box and cables beside the TV.
    You cannot update the DNS settings on the hub. You can still do it separately on every device but it is a pain if you need this.
    Bigger power draw

I found the range about the same as before on 2.4GHz and 5GHz. It may have been slightly better but hard to tell.

Bottom line is I wouldn't bother unless you are having problems with your current setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

dubrov wrote: »
    For anyone thinking about deconsolidating Horizon to the new media hub here are a few things to consider

Advantages
    Wireless Ac - I got over 200Mb Wirelessly vs about 100Mb on wireless n. No change when using devices capable of n and g only. Pings are about the same

Disadvantages
    Extra plug, box and cables beside the TV.
    You cannot update the DNS settings on the hub. You can still do it separately on every device but it is a pain if you need this.
    Bigger power draw

I found the range about the same as before on 2.4GHz and 5GHz. It may have been slightly better but hard to tell.

Bottom line is I wouldn't bother unless you are having problems with your current setup.

I didn't agree to the new Hub and they still sent it. I actually confirmed 3 times with the dude that did the offer that nothing else is changing. There was no mention of new equipment and I had no choice but to set the hub up because they fcuked something up on the old router.

If I get a bill for the new router i'll probably be hospitalised from the rage. Have been talking to them 4 times since the offer. 1st because I upgraded to HD sports and it wasn't turned on, 2nd time because they knocked SD sports off on one of the boxes. In talking with them those times no mention of new equipment.

My advice if you got an offer ring them again to make sure you are not getting things you did not agree to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ They are sending the new hub by default if you have 240 or 360mb connection.

For new customers they are sending both - horizon box and the hub.

For anyone getting the deal and renewing and already have horizon, they are sending out the hub.

When I negotiated my contract there wasnt any mention of sending out any new equipment. Couple of days later got a mail from nightline that they are delivering new equipment.

I was happy with the boradband on horizon box even though I wasnt getting more that 100mbs on wifi. Which was good enough speed for me.

With the hub I am getting around 190mbps on wifi which is significant speed boost but kind of pointless for me.

I dont do gaming so the hub is woking fine for me but just dont like the messy cable, splitters and the added power source etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If you get the new Hub they seem to give you one or two days and then next knock the internet off from your old box, not ideal if you are working from home and the cables are not easily accessible....

• Advertisement

Yes, found it the hard way. They didnt tell me they are sending the new hub and the they will disable modem on the horizon box.

Only one modem can be active at anytime attached to your account. I undestand why they do it because in theory you can plug the hub somewhere else if both horizon and hub are active at the same time.

They should give proper time to switch over or the option when you want to start using the new hub. I would have left as it for the time being if I had the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭DopeTech

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Yes, found it the hard way. They didnt tell me they are sending the new hub and the they will disable modem on the horizon box.

Only one modem can be active at anytime attached to your account. I undestand why they do it because in theory you can plug the hub somewhere else if both horizon and hub are active at the same time.

They should give proper time to switch over or the option when you want to start using the new hub. I would have left as it for the time being if I had the option.

The horizon box should only deactivate when the new hub is connected to the VM network. At least that's what happened when I got one to replace my Cisco 3925 I had.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    The horizon box should only deactivate when the new hub is connected to the VM network. At least that's what happened when I got one to replace my Cisco 3925 I had.

Not in my case. Got the hub delivered on Sunday. Did not even open the package.

Left for work on Monday, the internet was working. When I returned back home the internet was gone from horizon box. Thought it may be something temporary, left it as it, didnt help. Tried a factory reset of horizon box, no joy.

In the end opened the hub and plugged it in and straight away it was working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Has anyone got a link for the online chat option for the loyalty dept?

I gather this is a new way to contact the loyalty dept, however I can only find options for live chat for technical support and general account queries, the person i'm currently chatting to online isn't offering me any incentive to stay, so would prefer to get onto someone on the loyalty team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Morby wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link for the online chat option for the loyalty dept?

I gather this is a new way to contact the loyalty dept, however I can only find options for live chat for technical support and general account queries, the person i'm currently chatting to online isn't offering me any incentive to stay, so would prefer to get onto someone on the loyalty team

Think you have to ask to be transferred to loyalty and then they read back your conversation so far and pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Just a quick update:

Finally got through to a Loyalty Dept person via the live chat facility, got through to someone in Limerick.

I'm currently on a 6 month half price offer on a 240Mb plus mobile calls package. Was offered another 6 months half price immediately.

They were very eager to switch me over to the new 240Mb package, with no mobile calls for the same price but I wanted to hang onto my current package.

In the end got another 6 months half price, but they couldn't waive the €2.50 increase per month.

So I'll be paying €26.25 for 6 months and €52.50 for the remainder.

Not as good as others have gotten on here with 9 month discounts and the increase waived etc.. but it was the best I could get today anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kpn

Only in the third attempt I got 9 months half price and 3 months full price for 240mb broadband, Anytime world phone service. Happy days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Probably because I'm not on a deal and been a customer for a long time, I got no discount two of the times I called. Third time got minimal discount. So just cancelled. I'd like to try other services for a while. Not as fast but perhaps less painful to use, and fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Another knock on the door today with a second Hub 3. Didn't even want the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

see how many you can collect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Had a 5 min call today with a very pleasant girl named Shauna.

I was on 120mb broadband and phone for 50/month, although I have never used the phone.

I got a bump to 240mb, new modem, no price increase and 10euro discount for 6 months, then 50 euro for remainder 6 months.

Happy enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Just off the phone to south east Asia call centre, got the 9 months at 40, 3 at 80 for the basic tv, 240mb and the phone that isn't plugged in

E-mail with my December bill arrived a few mins ago- and is less than a quarter what I was expecting......... I'm not complaining- but I can't find any indication anywhere of how the bill is calculated- and if you log onto the portal it says history and all the other tools are offline.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Just got six month half price on the 360Mb Bb pack . Pushed for 9 months but no go on it , was told it did not exist any more ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I got 6 months half price on TV, broadband and phone (240mb). I was seriously considering dropping TV and getting Saorview/Freesat but I'll hang on for another year! It's well worth giving them a call in the coming days if you haven't already - it only took me 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

We have broadband and phone (240mb) and were on the 9 months at half price deal. My fiancee called before xmas and all they'd offer was 4 months at half price (€25), two additional months at a fiver off (€45) and the rest at full price (€50). She ended up cancelling as they wouldn't budge. She called back this evening and they would only offer the same. May have to allow the cancellation go through and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Argh I forgot it was the 8th not the 9th for me to call to cancel. I get nothing.

I am a idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Paid my first bill with the 9 month discount, down from €115 to €48, also very happy with the home hub, it's substantially better than Horizon as a router with improved range and performance throughout the house. Thanks to this thread for all the advice and comments on what sort of discounts could be achieved. I will save 600 euros in the first 9 months and then 20 a month for the final 3 months, definitely not to be sneezed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've had the new hub for a few weeks now and so far I've had no issues at all. It's a lot better than my 5 year old Cisco modem that I'd been using previously. Over wifi I can get the max 240 on a speed test.

Gaming online with an Xbox One and PS4 has no issues for me anyway. Maybe it's only specific games but there's been no lag or difference at all.

Glad I upgraded to the new one, speed and connectivity are a lot better, albeit in the short time I've had to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

Only got around to calling them on Friday (on the last day of course!)

Upgraded the phone to anytime mobile, the new Hub and almost immediately offered 6 months half price. I held off and without having to say much they gave me the 9 months at half price (Just said Eir were offering a better deal).

Interestingly, they've split my bundle into separate TV and BB/Phone.

So instead of the 4 quid increase, it's 9 months at half price. It was so easy, I'm not sure if I'm the idiot or they are!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

How do u get these boxes returned im not leaving just have 2 old ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got through to Loyalty dept today - sounded like Manila. Slight PITA with having to give my a/c twice, even though the automated system told me it had recognised me when I connected.

I'm just after a 9 month discount period, just paid my first 'big' bill last week. I'm on the 240 Mb broadband, 100 TV channels and some phone package.

They offered me 6 months at 90 and 6 months half price straight away. When I quibbled, they cut the TV channels to the Virgin Mix 50 channels, and brought the price down to 6 months at 75 and six months at 47.50 - so monthly fee of 61.25.

I really didn't want to switch away from Virgin, as we use their analogue signal for one TV in the house, and their current mobile offer of 5 months at €5 looks interesting too - so I'm fairly happy with that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

... brought the price down to 6 months at 75 and six months at 47.50 - so monthly fee of 61.25.
    This really annoys me; I wish the regulator would step in and instead of €x for 6 months and then €x+y for another 6 months + they would average the cost over the duration of the contract. Bloody Eir are different again with their lower costs initially but they could tie you into 18 month contract.

I'm currently paying €52.49 per month 120mb and a phone that I don't use. I think their standard has come down recently but they are still the best IMO.
    Bill Amount
    Jan-17 € 52.49
    Dec-16 € 49.98
    Nov-16 € 49.98
    Oct-16 € 49.98
    Sep-16 € 49.98
    Aug-16 € 49.98
    Jul-16 € 49.98
    Jun-16 € 49.98
    May-16 € 49.98
    Apr-16 € 49.98
    Mar-16 € 49.98
    Feb-16 € 44.99
    Jan-16 € 44.99
    Dec-15 € 44.99
    Nov-15 € 44.99

I hate having to ring them up to threaten a contract change, but I should have done it a good while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They sent out the new modem, and it is working fine. It looks like they did something at their end to disable the old modem, so there was no connection in the house today until I could install the new one. Just seemed a bit previous - what if I was away for a few days? Landline isn't working either, even with the new modem.

I left the old coax cables in place for simplicity, as I couldn't quite work out how to get the push-on connection to work with the screw-on socket on the wall. Their little manual referred to the 'blue end' cable, but there was nothing like this in the box.

Would the new coax cables and splitter give me any better connection speed than the old ones?

• Advertisement

Would the new coax cables and splitter give me any better connection speed than the old ones?

No- the new one has the same frequency spectrum as the old one. There shouldn't be any difference at all. Some people have older boxes on their walls- with old connectors on them- that might benefit if the connection wasn't held solidly in place- for most people it wouldn't make sense changing the cable.

Advertisement