Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

I got back to back 9 month half price contracts.
    As someone mentioned previously, to get the 9 months half price you have to have bad service on either broadband/WiFi and/or TV and be determined to cancel if it come down to it. It is just a game of 'chicken' and who will blink first.
    So if you have the infamous Horizon box, you should get the 9 months. Next year it will be harder to argue for the 9 month half price with the new white modem hub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Anyone get 9 months half price back to back years.

They were adamant they dont do it and to be honest i cant be bothered playing customers service roulette.

Have tv broadband and phone - 6 months half price

I had gone back to full price for one month, after 9 months half price, when the new contracts were issued before Christmas. When I rang first I got the same spiel that I couldn't get 9 months again cause I just came off it, I said fine and said I'd cancel. Rang back a week later and got the 9 months no problem from the foreign call centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Jan bills out today and the new price increase has kicked in. My bundle is up by €4 despite being assured before xmas that I wouldn't be impacted by this price rise as I had entered a new contract after late Sept.

Keep an eye out folks on your bills over the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

jay0109 wrote: »
    Jan bills out today and the new price increase has kicked in. My bundle is up by €4 despite being assured before xmas that I wouldn't be impacted by this price rise as I had entered a new contract after late Sept.

Had that happen to me. I got onto them and after a long enough phone call they credited my account for the €30 extra to cover off the rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Has anybody gotten 9 months on the full phone/tv/bb bundle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

GBX wrote: »

Yes I did. Then I cancelled my TV and still kept the 9 months half price after a bit of negotiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

Our TV basic and BB package is now €56.48 a month.

We are out of contract so wonder is it worth trying the negotiate. They always prove difficult when doing this.

Also our modem is the same old one we've had since 2010 haha

I wonder should we upgrade it or have people been having problems?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You'll probably have to be serious about leaving, as in cancelled, before you''ll get a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

GBX wrote: »

Yep I got 9 months @ €45 down from €115 and the remaining 3 months @ €95 for the full Phone/BB/TV and multiroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Phoned yesterday. Out of contract for over a year. Told her I was switching to another provider. Was offered full house? TV package (think it's just new name for my basic package), 24bb, phone for 89.99 per mth with 4mth half price discount. Thanked her & told her to start my 30 day cancellation period while I thought about it. She got onto supervisor & came back with 6mth half price. Thanked her again and told her to begin cancellation process. She said that offer was only available for limited time. I said no problem but I was still cancelling & thinking about it. She then offered 9mth half price. Accepted that. ☺️☺️. It really was much easier than I expected. Only regret I have is that I didn’t do it a year ago.
    I think that I'm keeping my old UPC box but getting new modem. Would that sound correct? Nightline are delivering today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,444 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jomcc wrote: »
    I think that I'm keeping my old UPC box but getting new modem. Would that sound correct? Nightline are delivering today.

Yes, if having a speed increase.

Virgin finally sent me a bill for the first time since November yesterday - a late notice. Paid it, but not for January - they aren't getting what they don't ask for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

jay0109 wrote: »

Same happened here. I have a mail saying what the charges are during the promotional period and thereafter. They quoted the "old" rate but have added the 4.50 increase which is not what was agreed.

Am onto webchat at the moment and #23 in queue so looks like it could be a common problem. Going to get back on to them in a few days and get them to apply the agreed contract price.

Edit: No dice via Chat - so complaint raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

blobbie wrote: »
    Same happened here. I have a mail saying what the charges are during the promotional period and thereafter. They quoted the "old" rate but have added the 4.50 increase which is not what was agreed.

Am onto webchat at the moment and #23 in queue so looks like it could be a common problem. Going to get back on to them in a few days and get them to apply the agreed contract price.

Edit: No dice via Chat - so complaint raised.

I ended up having to ring and talk to their loyalty team

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes, if having a speed increase.

Set up my new modem tonight. Happy with results. Quick question. Can't seem to set up Horizon Wi-Free password. Going through instructions on website for pat hour but no luck. It appears that I should go to broadband option on the pop down menu under My Products. I don't have a Broadband Tab. Only My Overview and Television. Am I blind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

Anyone getting 9 months half price?
    Best i could get was 6 months half price on the phone, broadband and TV bundle with 240 megs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cutthegrass

asharkman wrote:
    Anyone getting 9 months half price? Best i could get was 6 months half price on the phone, broadband and TV bundle with 240 megs.

First phone call I got the 6 month deal.

Second phone call I pointed out any problems I had and everything that was wrong with their service: slow TV guide on Horizon box, phantom TV recorded programmes that I can't delete, deleted series links that keep re-appearing, WiFi no where near speed advertised (ask for their new media hub, much better WiFi speed) - basically any problem with their service. Got the 9 month deal.

I find dealing with Virgin for discounts better than Sky. Virgin customer service folk are decent enough I found - just be polite and firm. Ring a 3rd time if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

So I've and ancient BB & TV package which is now costing me €77 per month. It's been well over a year since I got my last deal so empowered by the Sky offer and this thread I was planning on settling for nothing less than 9 months. It seems from reading on here that if you push for it they will eventually give it to you.

But I'm wondering if the Sky offer is just better value in the long run. I know Sky full price is €85 compared to my current €77 but given I don't watch much linear TV (I stream almost everything apart from things like the news) so my plan would be to cancel Sky after 12 months and switch to a freesat/saorview combo box (the Sky offer will have provided me with my dish). The only ongoing expense would be my broadband.

This is my current thinking, wondering if anyone else has considered this or are there pitfalls I haven't seen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The only pitfall is most of the providers work to sell you a bundle- and getting a single service (e.g. broadband) out of them without a phone- or indeed, television, may be nigh impossible (or as Virgin put it- if you want a broadband only package, its 12 quid a month cheaper if you take a phone with them too- than without- aka, there is a perverse incentive to take a bundle, even if you never ever use one of the services they're selling you.

Any provider other than Virgin- you have to pay line rental, regardless of what you do.

Its messy- but you can do it- I have a Freesat service, sitting ontop of 18 analogue Virgin channels, a phone service I don't use- and 360MB broadband- which I do. Akin to you- I stream most things (including the news on RTE and the BBC- as I seldom am free to watch them when they're actually on). The kids also are keeping Youtube in business- which reminds me, I have to set the parental controls on the router asap...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

I got a "courtesy call" from them last week to reward me with a 5 euro discount on my bill for six months. Still in the cooling off period after which I'm locked in for another 12 months.

Only have broadband and phone with them, 240mb, old router, 47.50 per month with the discount they gave. Am I in a position to bargain for a better deal if I threaten to cancel?

Thanks

mossy464 wrote: »
    I got a "courtesy call" from them last week to reward me with a 5 euro discount on my bill for six months. Still in the cooling off period after which I'm locked in for another 12 months.

Only have broadband and phone with them, 240mb, old router, 47.50 per month with the discount they gave. Am I in a position to bargain for a better deal if I threaten to cancel?

Thanks

A fiver off your bill for 6 months?
    That's probably the worst offer I've heard in a long time!
    Loads of people were given 9 months half price offers on this thread- they'll give you 6 months half price without blinking- you'll probably have to fight for 9 months half price- but it is in their giving to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I dunno they've offered me nothing for months and months. Eventually got a deal, but I had to cancel to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mossy464 wrote: »

Thanks

You'd want to be getting at least 6 months half price. 9 months is doable as well.
    Tell them the call you got made you look at your options, blah blah blah provider is doing it for €make-up-figure and you'll probably go with that. Use cooling off, and ask for email address to cancel.
    This is just a way to get you in contract. Make them pay for it :)

beauf wrote: »
    I dunno they've offered me nothing for months and months. Eventually got a deal, but I had to cancel to get it.

If you're not willing to cancel- there is no reason for them to give you a good deal- sure, you're going no-where. I did cancel and took out a Sky subscription- but was within my 14 day cooling off period with Sky. I got 9 months half-price- coming off a 9-month half price offer.......... When my current subscription is up- if I don't get a commensurate offer again- I'll certainly be off to another supplier.

Anyone who displays 'loyalty' to any company these days- is screwed, plain and simple. Don't just tell them you'll leave if they don't give you an offer- go ahead and leave- its the key to unlocking discounts. And if they don't give you a reasonable discount- don't come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

I made the call and got 6 months half price. They offered 4 first but pushed them.

That's still a nice saving over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Is the sky €50 a month for TV, broadband and phone over?

Millem wrote: »

Still offering this in shopping centres (alongside other inducements). Definitely still available in Whitewater (Newbridge) and Liffeyvalley (Clondalkin). Probably available elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Still offering this in shopping centres (alongside other inducements). Definitely still available in Whitewater (Newbridge) and Liffeyvalley (Clondalkin). Probably available elsewhere.

Do you know how much longer it will be offered? I think my virgin contract isn't up until the start of may! Also I don't think I have a proper phone line as have virgin but there are phone sockets in the walls in my house!

Do you know how much longer it will be offered? I think my virgin contract isn't up until the start of may! Also I don't think I have a proper phone line as have virgin but there are phone sockets in the walls in my house!

They always have offers which aren't on their websites available at the shopping centre kiosks. I have no idea when the current promotions will run out- however, as Vodafone have just kicked off a fresh campaign- and EIR are about to do so- its simply a waiting game. Also- its good to have both available for a week or two- to ensure continuity of service- its not nice getting knocked off for a few weeks, with no idea when whatever it is, might be ironed out.

• Advertisement

It was supposed to finish last Thursday.

Advertisement