Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

I think I must have got the best deal ever for VM last year. Didn't say anything about it at the time because I was convinced they'd made a mistake.

I'd just negotiated 9 months half price from them & was delighted with myself - Full TV, Phone & 300MB broadband for €38 a month.

Then they announced the price hike, but I was convinced I was ok because I'd already agreed to contract with them a couple of days previously. They told me that no, I would be hit with it but I'd only pay half the increase for the first nine months & the full increase for the remainder, it's in their terms & conditions etc...

Well obviously I wasn't having that, so I did my research & country law trumps contract law which in turn trumps terms & conditions. I got back on the phone to them & went pretty postal. Honestly, I felt sorry for the poor Philippine employee who had to deal with me, but I was pretty livid.

After me ranting & quoting extracts of law to him, he went off for a couple of minutes & then came back & told me he was going to apply an additional 50% discount to my account for six months, which brought my price down to just €19 a month for the first six months, €38 for the three months following that & then €72 for the last three months, but they revised the price again just before we went into full price so I got on to them again & we're now paying €42 for the next six months with a couple of upgrades thrown in.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Just got a missed call from Virgin....anyone else get one? It is from 012458600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Millem wrote: »
    Just got a missed call from Virgin....anyone else get one? It is from 012458600.

Don't worry. They'll call again!

colm_mcm wrote: »

Don't worry. They'll call again!
    Just wondering if it's a deal.....what should I expect?
    Has anyone managed to get half price sky sports? If so how long for? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭bromley52

I ran them there to see what I could get.
    1st offer was €10 off for 6 months.
    2nd: half price for 4 months.

Threatened to cancel and put on hold. He came back and gave me 6 months half price even though he told me it was not available any more. I was happy with that so I took it. Couldn't be bothered looking for 9 months.
    It took no more than 5min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,623 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I cancelled TV with virgin, they offered a reduced tv package for €20 rolling forward but wasn't interested

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I have just been on to them. They offered me tv for €20 for 12 months, phone &bb for half price for 6 months. €44 per month for 6 months and €72 per month for 6 months.
    I asked for 9 months months at €44 and 3 months at €72 and she basically laughed at me.
    I told her thanks but no thanks, will hold put for 9 months or am happy to cancel. They didn't care about eir or sky deals and said virgin is a better service! They said I have had too many good deals now 12 months half price and currently on 9 months half price. 6 months was the best I could expect!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Well credit to Virgin, their fast.

Signing up as a new customer for 240mb, no tv. Called them yesterday trying to get 6months at €35 instead of the 4months. They wouldn't budge, tried online chat but no go. Anyway spotted the deal for Boards members over on the Talk to Virgin and see if you use their signup page you get €50 one for all voucher so got more of a discount than I initially wanted!

So signed up at 6pm last night, had an engineer at the house 8:30 this morning and modem will be delivered between 10am-12noon this morning. Engineer does have to come back tomorrow to fix the lines outside but still.

Apart from them not telling me an engineer would be coming, luckily my wife was home. I was still impressed with the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭magicray

You didnt miss much they are peddling their mobile phone deals :rolleyes:

We have decided that unless ITV or UTV comes back we are leaving at the end of the current contract, TV3 isnt showing a lot of the new series so think we are missing out on too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

For anyone that got a half price deal did you get it on your full service or just the main bundle? I have HD as an extra as well as multroom viewing (3boxes in total in the house), and a max channels bundle. The first month the whole lot was half price but I just got a second bill and only the main bundle is half price now. Will ring but just wanted to check what the 'norm' is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭sector_000

sillysocks wrote: »
    For anyone that got a half price deal did you get it on your full service or just the main bundle? I have HD as an extra as well as multroom viewing (3boxes in total in the house), and a max channels bundle. The first month the whole lot was half price but I just got a second bill and only the main bundle is half price now. Will ring but just wanted to check what the 'norm' is?

Can't help you there! I only have a standard bundle ("360Mb Horizon Max and Mobile World")... and get a 50% discount of that.
    Bit late... but that's something you should have asked in the negotiation.

sector_000 wrote: »
    Can't help you there! I only have a standard bundle ("360Mb Horizon Max and Mobile World")... and get a 50% discount of that.
    Bit late... but that's something you should have asked in the negotiation.

I know! I just can't remember. To be honest I think they said on a previous half price deal that it only included the main bundle but then when my last I'll was on everything I presumed it'd stay like that. This time I didn't make more of the total he told me I'd be paying but I was almost sure it was half price on everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

jay0109 wrote: »
    Jan bills out today and the new price increase has kicked in. My bundle is up by €4 despite being assured before xmas that I wouldn't be impacted by this price rise as I had entered a new contract after late Sept.

Never got any notification of this increase...they are insisting they sent an email (I know they didnt). Told them I was closing my account over it...not even directed to customer loyalty...just said fine. contracts up 21st march so need to find new provider.
    tall chapy wrote: »
    I got back to back 9 month half price contracts.
    As someone mentioned previously, to get the 9 months half price you have to have bad service on either broadband/WiFi and/or TV and be determined to cancel if it come down to it. It is just a game of 'chicken' and who will blink first.

They aren't blinking much these days

No, the multi rooms would be normal price. I would just drop the hd option from the multi rooms as they'll be upscaled anyway which is fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I asked to cancel the TV part of my bundle back in mid December and I confirmed it through their online chat, I thankfully copied and pasted the transcript into my emails for future reference.
    Just checked my bill and they're still charging me for it.

What a pack of jokers

No, the multi rooms would be normal price. I would just drop the hd option from the multi rooms as they'll be upscaled anyway which is fairly good.

Sorry not sure what you mean by upscaled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

LG1234 wrote: »
    I asked to cancel the TV part of my bundle back in mid December and I confirmed it through their online chat, I thankfully copied and pasted the transcript into my emails for future reference.
    Just checked my bill and they're still charging me for it.

What a pack of jokers

Just following up on this. I mailed them explaining my problem to them and attached the transcript which clearly says "I wish to cancel my play tv" and then I say "i confirm I want to my play tv cancelled, i only want bb and phone fom now on" they said "ok thats done and I said "so can you confirm my tv package is cancelled" and they say "i can confirm"

I send that transcript to them on Monday and they reply with "I can confirm your TV package is still active and as you never confimed your TV cancellation please contact our loyalty team to cancel"

Are you f**king serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You need to talk to the people in Limerick.

I just got gibberish from the other place wherever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sorry not sure what you mean by upscaled?

Its stretches the non HD picture to fit the larger size of HD picture. It uses clever software and hardware to make it look not stretched.

How good it is, varies between different devices. (I've never seen the Virgin Media boxes do it). It can vary from poor to pretty good. My Bluray player does a good job of up-scaling DVDs to 1080. My TV isn't great at doing it for media files though.

Are any existing customers getting the boards deal €50 one for all voucher on renewing?

• Advertisement

Are any existing customers getting the boards deal €50 one for all voucher on renewing?

No, that's a new customer offer.
    The 9 months half price deal, which is what everyone should be aiming for is better than the new customer offers.

No, that's a new customer offer.
    The 9 months half price deal, which is what everyone should be aiming for is better than the new customer offers.

They won't give me 9 months half price :( only 6 months half price phone and bb and 12 months half price tv. :(

They said I am on 9 months half price now.

Might depend on the package they put you on. If you work it out over the year it should still be better than the new customer offer

Can new customers get the combination of TV and broadband/phone you have?
    Care to share the breakdown of price?

Might depend on the package they put you on. If you work it out over the year it should still be better than the new customer offer

Can new customers get the combination of TV and broadband/phone you have?
    Care to share the breakdown of price?

I am on bb and phone €25 per month. It started in June 2016 and is €25 for 9 months then €50 for 3 months.

They rang me offering to start a new contract 12 months tv €20. Half price bb and phone for 6 months €27. So €44 for 6 months then 6 months at €72.
    Netflix free for 6 months.

I plan I ringing back this week to try again and see what they will offer me. When I sign up I will take two sim cards €5 each for 5 months unlimited 30 day contract. I will cancel them after 5 months and go back to lycamobile.

I assume it's the max TVs and 360mb?

That's €58 pm on average, or €696 for the year.

I'll be paying €618 for the year on the max and 240mb, that's on the 9 months deal. You got a good enough deal I think.
    I would assume this offer only applies to customers adding tv to phone & broadband.

New customers with the top to pack and 360mb will pay €720, but get €50 back and €60 worth of Netflix, so effectively €610.

I assume it's the max TVs and 360mb?

That's €58 pm on average, or €696 for the year.

I'll be paying €618 for the year on the max and 240mb, that's on the 9 months deal. You got a good enough deal I think.
    I would assume this offer only applies to customers adding tv to phone & broadband.

New customers with the top to pack and 360mb will pay €720, but get €50 back and €60 worth of Netflix, so effectively €610.
    I think it's the TV with 53 channels or maybe the next one up? They said it was cheaper to do it that way than a new package. No bb was defo 240mb.
    I think the bb is terrible tbh. :(
    They are giving me €60 netflix too.
    I will try again and get 9 months but they girl who was Irish wasn't very nice and laughed at me asking for half price 9 months.

What modem do you have?

What modem do you have?

Gosh no idea! It's black??? It's not that stupid horizon box which was desperate. After I got off phone I did a speed test to show them how bad it was....the speed was 5mb!!!!!! I always have to reset it. They did something to it so then I got 50mb.

Get the white one. It transformed my internet.

• Advertisement

Get the white one. It transformed my internet.

I will ask for new modem when renewing. I have had problems with the bb ever since that terrible horizon box.
    We you on 9 months half price before now? They told me you can only get half price once?

Advertisement