Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Millem wrote: »
    If I switch to sky....do sky put in a landline? I think there is one in this house already. Well there is the box on the wall, no idea of it works though ;) we have always been with Virgin/upc/ntl!

Does anyone know what deals sky are offering for phone, tv and B.B.?

You get your phone connection from their modem. There is a phone box in the back of it. The modem is connected to the network via a coaxial cable (for cable tv) that they install if you dont have cable tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dingding wrote: »
    You get your phone connection from their modem. There is a phone box in the back of it. The modem is connected to the network via a coaxial cable (for cable tv) that they install if you dont have cable tv.

They're on about changing to sky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

Amouar wrote: »
    Just off the phone with them. They said that there is no way that they'll give me 6 months half price as I got it twice before. The best they could offer me this time was 41 euros for 6 months and 56 for the remaining 6 months for BB and phone :(

Anyone managed to get 6 months half price after getting it in the past 2 years?

is that for 240 or 360mb bb ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Just off the phone with them. They said that there is no way that they'll give me 6 months half price as I got it twice before. The best they could offer me this time was 41 euros for 6 months and 56 for the remaining 6 months for BB and phone :(

Anyone managed to get 6 months half price after getting it in the past 2 years?

We've been on half price for six months for as long as I remember and got it again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

leo2a6 wrote: »
    is that for 240 or 360mb bb ?

240 mb

• Advertisement

RiseToMe wrote: »
    We've been on half price for six months for as long as I remember and got it again today.
    Are you on BB and phone only package or do you have TV aswell? What did you say to convince them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Are you on BB and phone only package or do you have TV aswell? What did you say to convince them?

BB and TV. Just worked out what it costs per year, versus their competitors and refused all offers (3) until they got to six months half price which put them the same price.as sky per year. It takes time, patience and you have to be determined to following through with cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I'm considering dropping the TV as I really only watch one or two programmes which I could pick up via the RTE live or RTE player. I really feel paying 85-90 euro just for basic tv/bb/phone too much. No premium stations or anything :(

I wish they would do a lower speed internet as I'm not interested in 240/360mb broadband, when all I do is skype/youtube/general browsing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

RiseToMe wrote: »
    BB and TV. Just worked out what it costs per year, versus their competitors and refused all offers (3) until they got to six months half price which put them the same price.as sky per year. It takes time, patience and you have to be determined to following through with cancellation.

What's the tv like? I'm going to have to start making some decisions here, between vm bb and sky (2 boxes +HD + Movies, offers just finishing) it's costing €150 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Just chatted with someone on 1908, mentioned Sky's €39 deal (I only care about broadband, nothing else) and they tried to argue that sky was 5 times slower because their broadband is only 50Mbs (their actual allowance on Eirs line, apparently) compared to Virgins 240Mb. I pointed out that the vast majority of browsing is limited by the websites you are on anyway, even youtube has to buffer etc. Then the argument was that Sky is no good for online gaming, people only use Virgin if they play online (even if true, I don't play online games).

I'm currently on €47.49 (to change to €52.50 in January). The only offer I got was €37.50 for 3 months, then €52.50 for 9 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 chipschips

Got the 6 months half price deal there on TV & BB. Was hoping for 9 but they wouldn't budge!
    Have been on deals since joining 3.5 years ago so that should be no excuse for them to refuse anybody.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

can you do this via live chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chipschips

You can, takes a bit of back and forth but you get there eventually with them on Live chat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cheers, so what do people generally do, just ask to cancel and they offer deals? Or do you straight up ask for a deal you want haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

i just called there to ask them to start sending me out a paper bill.
    and they offered me 6 months at 40 euro then its up to the increased new price of 55pm.
    i didnt even ask for it(although i was going to).so i suppose its who you get and what kind of mood they are in maybe?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

and they offered me 6 months at 40 euro then its up to the increased new price of 55pm.
    i didnt even ask for it(although i was going to).so i suppose its who you get and what kind of mood they are in maybe?

Honestly- I'd rather a paper bill- and if they're not going to give me a discount for going paperless- they can damn well give me a paper bill...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

Got the same offer

but planing to change eir

EIR Broadband & Landline New Bundle offer

€35 per month for 6 months
    eir Fibre Unlimited up to 100MB
    Unlimited calls to Irish & UK landlines & mobiles
    FREE eir sport pack
    Includes €5 online discount + €50 Cashback (paypal)
    Price Breakdown
    Promotional price
    €35 for 6 months
    After 6 months
    €40
    Contract length
    12 months

Details are here if anyone interested : https://www.eir.ie/bundles/

Do you have BB and phone or BB and TV? Looks like all who got the discount so far have BB and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Haven't received any email letter yet, but presumably I'm affected as the self service discount is being removed from everyone? Has anyone tried cancelling before recieving the letter or would you have to wait for it to arrive? Still have 6 months left on contract, but looking to move, obviously, the sooner I give the notice, the less crossover period I will have

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Solaris10 wrote: »
    Got the same offer

FREE eir sport pack
    Price Breakdown
    Promotional price
    €35 for 6 months
    After 6 months
    €40
    Contract length
    12 months

Wish this was an option for me. Eir day the phone will only support 8Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Spoke to the property management company there. There's no satellite dish allowed in the apartment complex. I can get the Irish Saorview channels with an indoor aerial but 9 times out of 10 there's feck all worth watching there. So I have to keep forking out for digital coz I do like BBC etc.

If I call Virgin right now and tell them I want to cancel my BB + TV bundle and move to Eir or Vodafone - would I need to wait till the end of the current billing month before I can get the new provider's service?

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Solaris10 wrote: »
    Got the same offer

FREE eir sport pack
    Price Breakdown
    Promotional price
    €35 for 6 months
    After 6 months
    €40
    Contract length
    12 months

Thanks for this. I used it in my negotiations!

Had to ring four times over 3 days, ended up getting half price for 6 months on broadband only. Works out to be €40 a month instead of €55 over 12 months

Spoke to the property management company there. There's no satellite dish allowed in the apartment complex. I can get the Irish Saorview channels with an indoor aerial but 9 times out of 10 there's feck all worth watching there. So I have to keep forking out for digital coz I do like BBC etc.

If I call Virgin right now and tell them I want to cancel my BB + TV bundle and move to Eir or Vodafone - would I need to wait till the end of the current billing month before I can get the new provider's service?

Ta

They told me My service would end in 30 days.
    So you can cancel today and service will stop on the 15 of dec then you get a final bill.

I think im going to go with sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Sky is the cheapest BB and TV but am I right in saying there has to be a satellite dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Broadband & phone (have never used the phone)
    Increase was €5.01 pm, looking back through emails and there was an increase in Nov 2016 of €2.50 pm and in Jan 2016 of €5 pm.

Tried the chat and got reduced to €40 for the next 6 months so took it. Id be terrible on the phone trying to negotiate.. Would probably leave with a higher bill!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Broadband & phone (have never used the phone)
    Increase was €5.01 pm, looking back through emails and there was an increase in Nov 2016 of €2.50 pm and in Jan 2016 of €5 pm.

Tried the chat and got reduced to €40 for the next 6 months so took it. Id be terrible on the phone trying to negotiate.. Would probably leave with a higher bill!

Same increase here, that was not a bad result mate

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Honestly- I'd rather a paper bill- and if they're not going to give me a discount for going paperless- they can damn well give me a paper bill...........

Totally agree - between print & postage & labour it will cost them - why VM took all the discount I just can't understand.
    They have also taken off tv stations without notification - Utv, Itv 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

40 x 6 months 55 x 6 months. 570 for the year. Happy enough with that. 240Mb plus unused phone stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Sinbad311

Just got off the live chat with them a minute ago. Was on Tv (50 channels), phone and 240 BB at 80 pm rising to 85 Jan 1st. The best they could offer was 6 months half price 6 months full price (755 per year), mentioned that Sky had some pretty good deals they offered me an upgraded tv package 100 channels inc. HD channels, free phone calls including mobiles and 240 BB for 47 pm for 9 months and 94 pm for final 3 months. This works out at 705 for the year. I was happy to accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I've 360 BB and World phone. Rang and got 50% off for 6 months. 6 x 30 & 6 x 60.

Advertisement