Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Dazzy wrote: »
    I've 360 BB and World phone. Rang and got 50% off for 6 months. 6 x 30 & 6 x 60.

Is it your first 6 months half price or you got it last years aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I managed to get 9 months half price last year, but I was having lots of problems with the service so that helped with the negotiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Sky is the cheapest BB and TV but am I right in saying there has to be a satellite dish?

You are correct, as it’s needed for the TV side. Not the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lob020

Just off the phone ,was offered 6 months half price and 6 months full -- 6x47,6x94 accepted as only just finished 9 months half price ,3 months full.Anyone have any other suggestions as we will be out of country in Jan and Feb,would it be better to cancel and reapply in Mar,how long would it take to get reconnected etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Sinbad311 wrote: »
    Just got off the live chat with them a minute ago. Was on Tv (50 channels), phone and 240 BB at 80 pm rising to 85 Jan 1st. The best they could offer was 6 months half price 6 months full price (755 per year), mentioned that Sky had some pretty good deals they offered me an upgraded tv package 100 channels inc. HD channels, free phone calls including mobiles and 240 BB for 47 pm for 9 months and 94 pm for final 3 months. This works out at 705 for the year. I was happy to accept.

That is a good deal. How do you find the TV service? Between Sky for TV, and VM for BB it's costing me €160 p.m. which is ridiculous, I've been very happy with both services but need to get the costs under control, still in contract to sky until Feb '18 unfortunately which limits my options I suppose. Would you recommend the TV service? Is the quality good,no locking up pixellating etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

dodzy wrote: »
    You are correct, as it’s needed for the TV side. Not the broadband.

How is Sky's BB connected if doesn't use a dish

sonofenoch wrote: »
    How is Sky's BB connected if doesn't use a dish

Phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Sinbad311

jca wrote: »
    That is a good deal. How do you find the TV service? Between Sky for TV, and VM for BB it's costing me €160 p.m. which is ridiculous, I've been very happy with both services but need to get the costs under control, still in contract to sky until Feb '18 unfortunately which limits my options I suppose. Would you recommend the TV service? Is the quality good,no locking up pixellating etc?

Hi Jca, the tv seems fine most of the time, herself has had issues with programs not recording properly (rarely), I find the menu is a bit of a pain to use also but I can live with that. No issues with pixelation at all, picture quality is spot on and couldnt tell you the last time the screen froze. The BB is spot on most of the time aswell (in a house with multiple devices connected the whole time), occasionally may need to reboot the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

jca wrote: »
    Phone line.

I'm with VM (BB/phone) .......I've had it so long I can't remember if that's connected to an actual phone line or box outside the house? used to have a 2nd line connected to that bedroom yonks ago but no idea if it's still connected ........would Sky use the same connection or am I totally barking up the wrong tree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

My contact is up in January as far as i know but can i cancel it now ?

also do u think i would get a better offer in January when the contact has finished ? cheers

• Advertisement

Sinbad311 wrote: »
    Hi Jca, the tv seems fine most of the time, herself has had issues with programs not recording properly (rarely), I find the menu is a bit of a pain to use also but I can live with that. No issues with pixelation at all, picture quality is spot on and couldnt tell you the last time the screen froze. The BB is spot on most of the time aswell (in a house with multiple devices connected the whole time), occasionally may need to reboot the router.

Thanks for that Sinbad, I think I’ll let the sky contract run out and go for a total Vm package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I'm with VM (BB/phone) .......I've had it so long I can't remember if that's connected to an actual phone line or box outside the house? used to have a 2nd line connected to that bedroom yonks ago but no idea if it's still connected ........would Sky use the same connection or am I totally barking up the wrong tree

Just to clarify for people:

VM - all services provided via coaxial cable ( BB & TV)
    Sky - TV via satellite (dish)
    BB - Via phone line (as is the case will eir, Vodafone, etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

I rang to cancel,i am on 240mb,phone, and tv.i was offered some half assed deal,i said no it still works out cheaper with sky.i said if he could give me 6 months half price i would be tempted to stay, he said no way,so i went ahead and cancelled.i got the cancellation confirmation email from them within 15 minutes.is this game over or are they likely to phone me within the 30 days to offer me a deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

no half price deals at the moment by the looks of it, just 5€ off
    I think they will offer the half price deals after the contract cancellation period is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Virgin just offered 49 pm for 6 months, 79 for 6 months tv and BB. Gonna take it. Paying 80 pm now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

dodzy wrote: »
    Just to clarify for people:

VM - all services provided via coaxial cable ( BB & TV)
    Sky - TV via satellite (dish)
    BB - Via phone line (as is the case will eir, Vodafone, etc)
    is sky coax or do they use phone line as well out of interest ?

also are these email due to be sent out since besides here havent seen any mail/email concerning increase as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Virgin just offered 49 pm for 6 months, 79 for 6 months tv and BB. Gonna take it. Paying 80 pm now

Compared to our other Irish options it's good value. Free landline calls to most places I'd want to ring, decent BB for other places to use online options. Reasonable tv options for most things and BB fill-ins or on-demand for others. We have a landline too, mostly for friends/relatives outside the country who find it cheaper to access than mobiles.

Just got the email to tell me they're removing the self-serve discount but no mention of a 1.50 increase for my plan. I'll see if I can downgrade to the the broadband only plan for the rest of my contract and start getting paper bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

Just got the 50% half price deal myself , got on to there online chat told them I was cancelling so was put through to there loyalty online chat, took 2 minutes , I just said the only offer I would accept was 6 months half price ,she said hold on a minute and I will check your account , a minute later she came back and said her supervisor approved the 6 months half price deal . got it confirmed by email 15minutes later.

Just got the 50% half price deal myself , got on to there online chat told them I was cancelling so was put through to there loyalty online chat, took 2 minutes , I just said the only offer I would accept was 6 months half price ,she said hold on a minute and I will check your account , a minute later she came back and said her supervisor approved the 6 months half price deal . got it confirmed by email 15minutes later.

I might wait for a week or so and try that

• Advertisement

Try the online chat , worked for me , why wait a week :D

I'm on 47.50 rising to 52.50 BB only package.

Was only offered 10 euro off for 3 months. I said no and was then offered 15 off for 3 months. Said no again and they accepted my cancellation.

Try the online chat , worked for me , why wait a week :D

I,m not sure if it will make any difference that i already cancelled earlier today? Have you got any 6 month half price deals in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Was on 240mb broadband and phone paying 49 rising to 55

Negotiated 6 months 40 other 6 at 55

Couldn’t get them down to half price - well done to anyone who could

Also asked them to move me to paper billing - hopefully that causes them problems if enough people switch to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

I was told the half price only applied to customers on 3 services, i.e phone,BB and TV.
    I was only offered 15€ off for 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Was on 240mb broadband and phone paying 50 rising to 55

Negotiated by phone: 6 months 27.50 other 6 at 55.

Then I got an email saying promotion rate is 23.24 and normal rate of 6 months at 50. The email mentions the self service discount again but does not say that it expires. :confused::confused:

I assume the email is wrong??? Farce.

I,m not sure if it will make any difference that i already cancelled earlier today? Have you got any 6 month half price deals in the past?

yes just finished on a 6 month half price deal in august.

billbond4 wrote: »
    I was told the half price only applied to customers on 3 services, i.e phone,BB and TV.
    I was only offered 15€ off for 6 months

That's not true , I'm on broadband and phone and got half price for 6 months this morning.

• Advertisement

Just got off webchat there now, they told me i had to ring the loyalty number (1908).i will wait until next week to see if they call me with a better offer,if not,i,m off to sky

Advertisement