Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSAI Served 5 Closures Last Month..

Options
  • 08-05-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

The food safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has said that five closure orders and one prohibition order were served on food businesses last month for breaches of food safety legislation.
    Businesses served with closure orders include the highly-rated Damson Diner on South William Street in Dublin. During the month of April, the Health Service Executive also carried out a successful prosecution against Dynasty restaurant in Ballymun, Dublin.
    Professor Alan Reilly, Chief Executive of the FSAI said he was disappointed at the lack of sufficient focus by some business owners on ensuring they are fit for purpose and in compliance with legislation.
    “Greater vigilance is required to ensure standards are not permitted to slip, thereby potentially putting the health of consumers at risk,” he said. “Of particular disappointment is the ongoing number of cases involving improper storage of foodstuffs and poor cleaning and sanitising. These breaches are completely avoidable when food businesses have proper food safety management systems in place”.
    The five businesses served with closure orders were:
    • Damson Diner, 52 William Street South, Dublin 2
    • Rice Asian Cuisine, 11 Bridge Street, Ardee, Louth
    • Mo’s Kitchen, Larkin’s Cross, Barntown, Wexford
    • PAK National Food Ireland, Unit 726 Northwest Business Park, Dublin 15
    • Red Parrot (kitchen on ground floor only), 57–58 Lower Dorset Street, Dublin 1
    The FSAI said these orders are issued if there is likely to be a “grave or immediate danger to public health”. They can refer to the immediate closure of all or part of the premises or all of some of its activities. These orders may be lifted once the business has improved to the satisfaction of an authorised FSAI officer.
    A prohibition order was served to Gallagher Meats on O’Connell Street in Ballymote, Co Sligo.
    [ source ]

Well, have you eaten here lately? :eek:

Rice Asian Cuisine, Ardee, claim they're closed for renovations. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anybody know if you can get more info on what they did?

A restaurant was closed near me and reopened, I was wondering what the problem was as it could have been something which would not worry me

you can see a list here of more places that closed.
    http://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The information must be available somewhere. Several years ago a certain bakery in maynooth had a closure order put on it. The local paper had something like an 8 page article on it that listed all the offences committed. There must have been 50+ offences. A place really has to be the pits before they will close it. One would assume there are plenty of place with some serious oversight who remain open even after inspection. Sure it's only food. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I really think that the offences should be listed, a closure order is pretty serious but it could be down to something like a tap that's not working in a wash hand basin (true story). I regularly get an EHO visit, get on grand with my EHO, and never had a problem but if you get on the wrong side of one, then you're screwed. They have the power to shut you down with no appeal and no oversight, not even your bank can do that. I remember one of my tutors said to me when setting up your food business is to call your local EHO with as many questions you can think of and then call them every single day until you get your certs, then they won't want to see the sight of you when you do eventually start trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

duploelabs wrote: »
    I really think that the offences should be listed, a closure order is pretty serious but it could be down to something like a tap that's not working in a wash hand basin (true story). I regularly get an EHO visit, get on grand with my EHO, and never had a problem but if you get on the wrong side of one, then you're screwed. They have the power to shut you down with no appeal and no oversight, not even your bank can do that. I remember one of my tutors said to me when setting up your food business is to call your local EHO with as many questions you can think of and then call them every single day until you get your certs, then they won't want to see the sight of you when you do eventually start trading.
    Evidence of rodent infestation is sure to get you served with prohibition notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mo's kitchen was closed for just 1 day according to the link above

• Advertisement
Advertisement