Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese knotweed??

• 08-05-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Seen this peeping over my hedge. It's in the field next door to us. Is it JK??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Definitely not Japanese knotweed in my opinion -- looks like a pussy willow to me with the female flowers (pistillate) instead of the male catkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

lottpaul wrote: »
    Definitely not Japanese knotweed in my opinion -- looks like a pussy willow to me with the female flowers (pistillate) instead of the male catkins.

Thanks, was freaking out a bit to be honest :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

It's a no, from me too....fwiw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Actually i know somebody who has knotweed poking up from between teh gaps in thier decking.

Can you spray the visible bits and will it work?

You could, and it may.

You need a licence to get rid of it. Burn it, don't dump it.

It would be easier to move house, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just as a matter of interest, I have seen what I am pretty sure is patches of Japanese Knotweed occasionally around the countryside, sometimes in random bits of hedgerow, at least one a few miles from where I live in someone's front garden hedge. Are there any rules about notifying anyone if you see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

looksee wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, I have seen what I am pretty sure is patches of Japanese Knotweed occasionally around the countryside, sometimes in random bits of hedgerow, at least one a few miles from where I live in someone's front garden hedge. Are there any rules about notifying anyone if you see it?
    Quick answer is no not really, there isn't the initiative nor the finace to contain it/nevermind eradicate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Quick answer is no not really, there isn't the initiative nor the finace to contain it/nevermind eradicate it.

Have to agree. They took this approach in UK years ago and now it's costing millions to control it. Why are the authorities here so short sighted. Its not as if its just going to go away some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 John from ennis

chopper6 wrote: »
    Actually i know somebody who has knotweed poking up from between teh gaps in thier decking.

Can you spray the visible bits and will it work?
    No.
    The roots an seeds need to be 100% removed and wrapped thoroughly. Dig beyond the roots to be sure.this weed can be devastating to a house and roads.no question about that.

Be sure to clean the mud from your shoes after being in the contaminated area.

No.
    The roots an seeds need to be 100% removed and wrapped thoroughly. Dig beyond the roots to be sure.this weed can be devastating to a house and roads.no question about that.

Be sure to clean the mud from your shoes after being in the contaminated area.

What he said. It's lethal. That's why you have to have a licence to dispose of it . Not that people do. My old primary school has it and the headmaster dumps it. I am not sure if there is or not a licence involved. Doubt it.

About 5 years ago there was a chap in NUIG doing a survey of sites. But he wasn't interested in anything outside Galway.

You could try the National Parks and Wildlife Service, but they weren't interested when I did before...

I even went to the Japanese embassy in Dublin!

• Advertisement

Is it really that bad?

Is it really that bad?

it is. That's why, officially, you need a licence to dispose of it. It regrows from next to nothing and can break up through concrete.

It cost the London olympics quite a bit to remove it from the site. It's awful stuff.

Is this it?

Is this it?

I would say no. Too purple, doesn't entwine itself like that and leaf doesn't look like it either...JK is more red and speckled. I'll try and show you later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Is this it?

No, thats bindweed. Another real pest but nothing that will do damage the way knotweed can.

Some info here http://invasivespeciesireland.com/toolkit/invasive-plant-management/terrestrial-plants/japanese-knotweed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Is it really that bad?

There's a few questionable answers on this thread. It's not spread by seed here but by rhizomes usually by contaminated soil being dumped. It is not lethal. It also like ivy does not grow through concrete but will grow through cracks or weak areas. Will it take over your garden? No straight answer it has the potential to but it may not. There are 6 sites close to me with it present, growing right beside buildings, roads and peoples gardens and none I can see have spread by much if any in over 10 years. There is one patch that has spread a lot and this is due to human error. I saw a mini bus full of council workers with brush cutters attacking it, isn't that smart?
    Anyway your picture is bindweed.

Glad to hear it's not the knotweed anyway.

Will give the tendrils a good spraying when they start to annoy me.

Slightly OT but i'm seeing huge stands of Giant Hogweed popping up in parts of N Dublin.

There's a very established stand of it on two location near finglas,one in a fairly public area not far from a park..i understand the sap can cause permanent scarring especially to children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Glad to hear it's not the knotweed anyway.

Will give the tendrils a good spraying when they start to annoy me.

Slightly OT but i'm seeing huge stands of Giant Hogweed popping up in parts of N Dublin.

There's a very established stand of it on two location near finglas,one in a fairly public area not far from a park..i understand the sap can cause permanent scarring especially to children.

Few answers here to clear things up.

Yes your plant is bindweed.

Knotweed is treatable in situ, and it can be disposed of but you need to take it to a licensed disposal site, best to burn it once dead, or buried deep in situ.

The way to treat it is to inject the stems with a high concentrate of glyphosate and then spray the foliage above and below with a slightly weaker solution of the same. When it dies it dies fast. I have had success with an infestation that had got into the backyard of a premises through neighbouring stone walls and had filled the space approximately fifteen metres square, they even had it coming inside the building under the wall. It is dead two years and has not reappeared.

Giant hogweed is very unpleasant adults and children should keep away from it and it isn't just the sap that is dangerous it is also the hairs on the stem that are a significant irritant especially if you get them in your eyes I believe it can case blindness, in the uk councils are required by law to deal with hogweed in public places.
    Your bindweed can be treated with roundup no problem.

Advertisement