Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Bristol for Uni - Mature Student

Options
  • 08-05-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am 33 and I am moving to Bristol to do a masters. The plan is to focus on this full time and work part time. I have been working full time for the last 10 years or so, so it is a big change.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any areas where I might get decent accomadation at a good rate withing cycling distance of the uni. I currently cycle each was to work and could easily do 7-8 each was if needs be. I don't want to live in student central as I am over my partying years!!! I am currently in Dublin and use the city a lot for cinema, theatre etc so I would like to be able to do that there. I would also like to be near a park if possible (not asking much!!)

Ideally I would live alone but that's very unlikely to be happening given my budget of about 400-500 a month, so realistically I am looking at a flat or house share.

Any advice would be appreciated - I am heading over June BH to have a look so it would be good to have a few ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Hi, I am 33 and I am moving to Bristol to do a masters. The plan is to focus on this full time and work part time. I have been working full time for the last 10 years or so, so it is a big change.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend any areas where I might get decent accomadation at a good rate withing cycling distance of the uni. I currently cycle each was to work and could easily do 7-8 each was if needs be. I don't want to live in student central as I am over my partying years!!! I am currently in Dublin and use the city a lot for cinema, theatre etc so I would like to be able to do that there. I would also like to be near a park if possible (not asking much!!)

Ideally I would live alone but that's very unlikely to be happening given my budget of about 400-500 a month, so realistically I am looking at a flat or house share.

Any advice would be appreciated - I am heading over June BH to have a look so it would be good to have a few ideas.

Can I ask which Uni your going too and which campus, be able to give you better tips that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

It's Bristol University - seems the school is based in Berkeley Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Hi there,

Berkeley Square is nice and central so it does open up a lot of options for yourself.

If you cycle to work you can look at living near the Bristol to Bath cycle path. This is an old rail line that was converted to a cycle way and is heavily used as a commuter route during the week and for leisure at the weekend. It passes by a number of areas that would allow you to be away from student central and also more affordable living accommodation. Of the suburbs along the track Fishponds would be your best bet for choice of facilities there is a number of parks near by and if you don't fancy cycling there is very good transport links to town and other areas from here. A one bedroom flat can be got here for circa £500 p/m but don't forget to factor in council tax of approx £1k p/a.

If you fancy living closer to town then Gloucester Road and Clifton would be some of your best bets. Common in both areas for house shares but you will find rents are much higher if going it alone. Cycling in Bristol is pretty common but be prepared in these areas to share your journey with buses and cars.

Plenty of theatres to suit all tastes, check out the Old Vic, Tobacco Factory and St. Georges among others.

Plenty of parks in Bristol, chances are wherever you move you wont be that far from a green area.

Hope this helps you a bit but if you have any questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Thanks very much. I have seen a few places in fishponds advertised alright. I will take a look around these areas when I am over in June.

Advertisement