Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine - who is responsible, landlord or tenant?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

cerastes wrote: »
    What do you mean rent controls for existing tenants? (but not for, people who may yet become tenants?).
    And then you say with the landlord free to set the rent for a new tenancy?
    Isn't rent control a limit on setting the rent?

Does rent control prevent drops and increases? for only some people? social welfare? or maybe people with unions behind them? or everyone?

How can rent control (eg a reduced amount) for an existing tenant be implemented/enforced? if say the market is asking for more? or where you say so many costs are not allowed to be offset against tax?

Im saying this as a person renting one house to a tenant under market rate, for a few reasons, but I cant keep that going forever, at the point they leave, I'll have to up the rent to whats being asked elsewhere as reductions were made over years on the basis rents fell and the only reason Ive kept them despite some problems (they havent always been good) is I know what they are like and how to deal with them, a new entity at this stage would be no help to me.
    Basically I favour a system that sets maximum percentage increases over a given period for sitting tenants, with exceptions allowed for cases where the landlords perform renovations on the property. Once a tenancy ends and the landlord is seeking a new tenant, he should be free to name his price, regardless of what the market rate is.

This is more or less the state of play in Germany right now. There are proposed changes to the system here which will allow local government to decree that there's a shortage and so rents even for new tenancies could be capped to local market rates. That I don't agree with. A sitting tenant should be protected from wild swings, or renting will never be a long term option in Ireland and we'll just stagger from housing crisis to housing crisis, but once a property is vacant, the landlord should be completely free to decide his new rent.

In such a system however, tenants could NOT expect rent reductions mid tenancy and evictions for non-payment should be really swift. There need to be more safeguards for both sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Bart Mars wrote: »
    He rents the apartment. Not the washing machine.

He rents everything in the apartment, as well. If something stops working, it's the landlords problem, if it was broken by the tenants, it's their problem. I hope you're not a tenant, your landlord is are probably laughing at you while rolling around in all the money off never doing a thing in the house because "he only rents the walls windows and roof to me like"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    He rents everything in the apartment, as well. If something stops working, it's the landlords problem, if it was broken by the tenants, it's their problem. I hope you're not a tenant, your landlord is are probably laughing at you while rolling around in all the money off never doing a thing in the house because "he only rents the walls windows and roof to me like"

In the Irish context the landlord is responsible, unless the tenant has damaged the item,

But I cannot see why, this could not be something the tenant is allowed take responsibility for in a situation where they can use their own washing machine and resolve themselves?

I cant see what disadvantage there is to the tenant is? they can own what they want to the standard they want or can afford.

As for the rolling around in money :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

cerastes wrote: »
    In the Irish context the landlord is responsible, unless the tenant has damaged the item,

But I cannot see why, this could not be something the tenant is allowed take responsibility for in a situation where they can use their own washing machine and resolve themselves?

I cant see what disadvantage there is to the tenant is? they can own what they want to the standard they want or can afford.

As for the rolling around in money :rolleyes:.

If you own it, you get it fixed..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Landlord fixes... it's simple. I was rented for many years and a lot of the time the appliances were bargain basement crap, however when it came time to replace/repair there was never any issues from the landlord on this.

It is really only the broke landlords who can't afford and don't want to be a landlord who will fight back on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Are people just reading the initial question, then posting their answer, completely ignoring the fact we've had 7 pages of discussion in the meantime? WE KNOW THE LL IS LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

murphaph wrote: »
    Are people just reading the initial question, then posting their answer, completely ignoring the fact we've had 7 pages of discussion in the meantime? WE KNOW THE LL IS LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE.

The discussion went off on a mad tangent, thread should have been closed long ago imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

murphaph wrote: »
    Basically I favour a system that sets maximum percentage increases over a given period for sitting tenants, with exceptions allowed for cases where the landlords perform renovations on the property. Once a tenancy ends and the landlord is seeking a new tenant, he should be free to name his price, regardless of what the market rate is.
    Irish Landlords would consider painting and general light work on the property as renovations and increase the rent accordingly!
    This is more or less the state of play in Germany right now. There are proposed changes to the system here which will allow local government to decree that there's a shortage and so rents even for new tenancies could be capped to local market rates. That I don't agree with. A sitting tenant should be protected from wild swings, or renting will never be a long term option in Ireland and we'll just stagger from housing crisis to housing crisis, but once a property is vacant, the landlord should be completely free to decide his new rent.

In such a system however, tenants could NOT expect rent reductions mid tenancy and evictions for non-payment should be really swift. There need to be more safeguards for both sides
    Thank god we are in Ireland and not Germany with all their weird ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Irish Landlords would consider painting and general light work on the property as renovations and increase the rent accordingly!...

What would you call it a tenant painted neon paint over varnished hardwood doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

This thread epitomises the key problem in the rental market in Ireland.

A total and utter lack of mutual trust.

I don't know how you fix it any more.

• Advertisement

A difference between Germany and Ireland is people generally are much better at abiding by the rules/law.

Where as in Ireland everyone wants to get around them, and be selective about which bits they want to follow and which they'll ignore.

Then they wonder why the system is broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Well I haven't needed to ring my LL for any repairs yet this year, plus I cut the lawn. By Murph's logic I should be looking for a rent reduction.

I think the logic was not to contact the LL ever. So you can't ask for a reduction, as that would mean getting an increase.

Getting a distinct Catch 22 vibe of this.
    The phrase "Catch-22", "a problematic situation for which the only solution is denied by a circumstance inherent in the problem or by a rule,
    There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he were sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

As the OP hasn't rejoined the thread since their first post I'm locking this one up.

Morri

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement