Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunset Overdrive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

COYVB wrote: »
    Wow. Lots of underserved overscores there

Have you played it?

Pretty sure I'll be picking it up myself now on the back of almost unanimous praise apart from the videogamer reviewer, which in fairness they did flag up in their preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Have you played it?

Pretty sure I'll be picking it up myself now on the back of almost unanimous praise apart from the videogamer reviewer, which in fairness they did flag up in their preview.

yup,and you're always going to have individuals who just dont gel with a particular game or genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Very high praise across the board, looks like this may be a console seller then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Have you played it?

Yeah I've had it for a few weeks. Its alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Very high praise across the board, looks like this may be a console seller then.

I disagree. A new IP is gonna have to be something special these days to be a console seller. I'd be more inclined to consider franchises who have a long history of decent games to be "console sellers" like Far Cry 4, Mass Effect (4?), Uncharted 4.... all the 4s basically.
    €400 is too much of a risk to take on a new IP imho.
    Look at all the poor people burned by Watch Dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Far Cry and Mass Effect would not be system sellers anymore as they have jumped the shark. Halo, Gears, God of War, Uncharted are system sellers still. A system seller has to be a big name exclusive. Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 were the system sellers for the XO for me.

Goldeneye was a new IP and a system seller for the N64. Sadly those day have gone as it cost so much to make a game and risk it on a new IP. Watch Dogs wasn't bad, just wasn't graet either. Like Assassin's Creed started off shaky but had a very good number 2, 2.5 and 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Bayonetta 2 is, IMO, the only game deserving of the system seller monicker this month. And even then its impact probably won't be that great at all.

SO is not a bad game, for me. It's a quirky, fun, self aware game with moments of brilliance in its writing, but it falls down with its navigation/grinding mechanic. I just didn't feel particularly enamored with that side of it, and that's very much the element that'll make or break your enjoyment of the experience. For me it veered into "chore" territory too often, especially during the needlessly repetitive OD attacks while creating Amps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well yeah, maybe not those games in particular but the general overall point I was trying to make still stands.

Exclusives matter greatly too. You mentioned Uncharted 4, that was a big reason for me going with a PS4 over X-Box One.

Essentially, if you don't own a next gen console, would you buy one at around the €350-€400 mark to play Sunset Overdrive?
    I don't think many people would, no matter how much fun it is.
    I'll wait till the dust has settled and see what the concenus is, the review snippets posted earlier aren't swaying me.
    It's like "Look it's not as annoying as we thought it would be at E3 - 8/10"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cormac... wrote: »
    Essentially, if you don't own a next gen console, would you buy one at around the €350-€400 mark to play Sunset Overdrive?

No you'd buy a next-gen console to play all of the next-gen games. However when it comes to deciding between a PS4 and an Xbox One the exclusives on each console are, for most people going to be the deciding factor. I didn't buy an Xbox One for Halo MCC, Forza Horizon 2 and Dead Rising 3 but those three games in particular, along with other Xbox exclusives made up my mind what to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The reviews look good and insomniac have done good stuff in the past, so will probably pick this up. I like the look of what I have seen so far, especially the game being so colorful and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Preordered this as soon as it was available to do so.. those glowing reviews coming in only make it that bit sweeter :)

Such a varied line up on the Xbox right now, something for everyone really. I have more than enough to play and will be even more occupied after this and MCC come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Played it for a little while this morning, I'm not sure if I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Have the game downloaded and ready to go. Will give it a quick go, when I get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've played a couple of hours now, I really like it :)

I wasn't sure at the start, but as you go on and unlock more guns/perks etc it really starts to get fun. Gameplay is great IMO and it flows really well.

I've seen a lot of reviewers say it has an "obnoxious" sense of humour that they didn't like... I think it's pretty hilarious at times!

Played two rounds of multiplayer and while I wasn't entirely sure wtf was going on some of the time, it was good fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Cheapest place to buy this and play today?

Gamestop are 70 and no 9.99 deal...

FutureGuy wrote: »

US marketplace if you're happy to go digital?

Yeah US marketplace, came to €46 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

FutureGuy wrote: »

Argos again 58.99 or as said US market for around 47

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm definately going to pick this up when I finish Alien Isolation, it looks great craic.

Shred wrote: »
    I'm definately going to pick this up when I finish Alien Isolation, it looks great craic.

its really really good.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've only put maybe 2 or 3 hours in yet but it's actually a lot of fun and genuinely funny too imo. Surprised as it's not really a game that appealed much to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've only put maybe 2 or 3 hours in yet but it's actually a lot of fun and genuinely funny too imo. Surprised as it's not really a game that appealed much to me at all.

exactly what I am thinking after about 2hrs gameplay.

What surprised me was I loaded up Destiny after playing Sunset Overdrive and I was bored in 5 minutes of doing the usual daily missions yet again.

The most refreshing thing I've found about this game after playing Destiny for the last month is the instant resume from where you left off! If I only have an hour to play at least I know I'll have the full hour and not spending a lot of it in pissy menus waiting to connect :pac:

About 10 hours in now, not too far in the story as have been dicking around doing a lot of side quests and stuff. Very much enjoying the game still!

Anyone up for some chaos squad this week?

maximoose wrote: »
    The most refreshing thing I've found about this game after playing Destiny for the last month is the instant resume from where you left off! If I only have an hour to play at least I know I'll have the full hour and not spending a lot of it in pissy menus waiting to connect :pac:

About 10 hours in now, not too far in the story as have been dicking around doing a lot of side quests and stuff. Very much enjoying the game still!

Anyone up for some chaos squad this week?

definitely up for it unless cod turns out to be brilliant

Yeah, my bank balance is not happy about the early positive reviews for COD.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Love the game. Old School Tony Hawk + Dreamcast vibe + Dead Rising + Tons of Fun.

Boardsie Chaos Mode Squad???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ok I sighed when I got the mission to go get the dog :mad:

Not frowning now :pac:

calex71 wrote: »
    Ok I sighed when I got the mission to go get the dog :mad:

Not frowning now :pac:

yup,

I'm actually refraining from asking about different things or quoting some of the dialog as it'd be a shame for people to not experience it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

definitely up for it unless cod turns out to be brilliant

I would be up for this too regardless of how COD turns out!

Gamertag is CANTO CGI

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was playing Titanfall there, was wall running along on one of the maps and jumped down to street level, got myself killed because the bounce I was expecting from the car I landed on never came. Damn this game :o

Advertisement