Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

other people posting pics of your kids on facebook

Options
  • 08-05-2014 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

How do you feel about other people posting pictures of your child[ren] on their facebook page?

I don't like it but I don't see what I could do about it.

I feel like they are kids and their privacy should be respected until they are old enough to know whether they like them there or not. I would not like someone posting pictures of me all over their facebook page without consent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We don't like it and we don't allow it. Whenever someone has asked or done so without our consent we make them remove it. We are the custodians of their images online until they're older. If someone was doing it persistently we would make sure they weren't taking pictures of them to post in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

lazygal wrote: »
    We don't like it and we don't allow it. Whenever someone has asked or done so without our consent we make them remove it. We are the custodians of their images online until they're older. If someone was doing it persistently we would make sure they weren't taking pictures of them to post in the first place.

Ditto. I don't post pics of my kids on FB, I would be one of the only people I know who don't. There have been a few times when someone has put a picture of my child up and I have had to ask them to take it down, they tend to get quite annoyed by it but my child's photo has no place on their page as far as I am concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They're your children. It's not up to anyone else to decide if they can post pictures of your children online. If someone gets annoyed by that that's their problem. If someone refuses to take it down report the picture and Facebook will do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't use facebook but if I did I would not post up pictures of my child, not even because of any fear of anything particularly sinister, but I find it disrespectful to the child. It's not my face, so why would I and think it's ok and small kids are not in a position to really understand what they are agreeing to or not, so I just don't do it. Plus if my parents did that, and I grew up and found all these pictures of me all over facebook and the internet I'd be pretty mad especially if it was by a relative I didn't know.

I know a lot of people post pictures of their kids all over the place on the web so it would seem pretty normal, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

Problem is the other parent has consented to it and feeds him the photos I have sent as attachments by email. I would have been none the wiser if the other parent hadn't actually told me. I didn't say anything at the time because I wanted to give it some thought. I'm still not really sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

anonymum wrote: »
    How do you feel about other people posting pictures of your child[ren] on their facebook page?

I don't like it but I don't see what I could do about it.

I feel like they are kids and their privacy should be respected until they are old enough to know whether they like them there or not. I would not like someone posting pictures of me all over their facebook page without consent.

I don't like it and I generally don't do it bar a private group, most people have been told to take pics down or not to out them up when we see them taking pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

a) Suppose a parent posts a picture of his son's sport team. The team includes your child. Are you going to ask to remove the picture?

b) An anonymous photographer posts a photo of children playing in a park. One of the children looks like yours. Are you going to ask to remove the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Context is key when taking photo's of other peoples, when the children are at the age where they are in sports teams ect there is no harm in the odd team photo ect.

The second one is a bit of a ludicrous suggestion, looking like and actually being your kid are different things.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Any photos of my son that are on facebook are on my page and are in a private album for family/close friends only. I wouldn't be a bit happy with other people posting his picture on their page, nor would I even dream of putting pictures of someone else's kids on my page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

I remember having a serious argument with my sons GAA coach/Teacher about 5 years ago about pictures of him and his team on a Facebook page, he just couldn't comprehend why I told him to take them down. The little runt ended up just blacking out his face.
    But he has always had a massive issue with me because I never allowed my sons miss school to play a game either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I must be the odd one out, so. As long as I'm tagged in the photos or made aware of them in some other way, I don't mind family and friends putting photos up. Although, to be fair, it's not really something they do that often. My own Facebook page is set so only my friends can see my photos but that's more of a privacy thing in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

valerossi wrote: »
    I remember having a serious argument with my sons GAA coach/Teacher about 5 years ago about pictures of him and his team on a Facebook page, he just couldn't comprehend why I told him to take them down. The little runt ended up just blacking out his face.

Can I ask why it was such a big deal to you? What was the harm in it?

Long before the days of Facebook, when we were kids, myself and my siblings had team photos taken and published in local papers etc for various sports. We loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's the problem with Facebook. What is actually taking a liberty has become the norm. People really don't understand why putting every snap they've ever snapped up for all to see might be a problem for the subjects (or their parents). Constantly having to ask people to take down pics of me, to say nothing of having to explain why I wouldn't give permission to tag me in photos, is just one of the many reasons why I closed my account.

I'd suggest posting a monthly status update. Something like: 'no photos of my children on this site please'. Anybody with a modicum of cop on shouldn't need the 'why' explained to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

I've seen this, where foreign childcare workers post pictures on social network sites that wouldn't be particularly accessible to Irish workers, certainly made me think about the legal implications, should the parents find out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Long before the days of Facebook, when we were kids, myself and my siblings had team photos taken and published in local papers etc for various sports. We loved it!

team photos are ok imo

birthday parties etc. no

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

victor8600 wrote: »
    a) Suppose a parent posts a picture of his son's sport team. The team includes your child. Are you going to ask to remove the picture?

This did actually happen in our local GAA club and some parents DID ask other parents to take down their pictures.

If the club want to post pictures they have to get parental consent. If the parents don't give consent to the club, why should they have to be ok with other parents sharing pictures of their child?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

blackdog2 wrote: »
    I've seen this, where foreign childcare workers post pictures on social network sites that wouldn't be particularly accessible to Irish workers, certainly made me think about the legal implications, should the parents find out

I don't think that's a foreigner issue, I think that is a management issue. If they are working in a childcare centre the policy is usually that parents must sign a consent form to allow their children to be pictured and put on the net. All staff should be advised of the policy and if not then take it up with management.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

This isn't meant as a go at your stance but I don't think you can "make" them remove them. You can ask and any reasonable person will respect your wishes, but my understanding of the law is that so long as the picture was taken in public they have every right to put it up if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

I don't think that's a foreigner issue, I think that is a management issue. If they are working in a childcare centre the policy is usually that parents must sign a consent form to allow their children to be pictured and put on the net. All staff should be advised of the policy and if not then take it up with management.

I see it came across as that, what I meant was that that particular network might not have a presence here, so it'd be near impossible to make them take it down? I see your point though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Iv never liked cameras in my kids face especially strangers cameras at pools, playgrounds etc . I signed a form to say the school could not photograph my kids without permission. I also have an issue with how Facebook can use photos and how easy it is to copy the images.
    I suppose some people see no harm whereas I do and I expected it to be respected.
    Now their older and ass around with Facebook themselfs so I suppose my efforts were in vain:)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

This did actually happen in our local GAA club and some parents DID ask other parents to take down their pictures.

If the club want to post pictures they have to get parental consent. If the parents don't give consent to the club, why should they have to be ok with other parents sharing pictures of their child?

Seems completely OTT in my opinion - where do you draw the line, if one parent objects does that mean the whole team photo has to come down?

The internet is just one more means of communciation - do the same parents object when the team photos appears in the local paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

A family member of ours doesn't want pictures of their children on facebook and the family respects that. There has been pictures from birthday parties that I have gone through before putting the pictures on facebook to ensure there is none of said persons children.

As for myself, when I had my daughter I went on a deleting spree, got rid of the randomers from college days and people I hardly knew so if i put pics up they are only seen by people I know and see and mainly family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

grimbergen wrote: »
    Seems completely OTT in my opinion - where do you draw the line, if one parent objects does that mean the whole team photo has to come down?

The internet is just one more means of communciation - do the same parents object when the team photos appears in the local paper?

And what if that newspaper has an online version so they put the photo up there? It's endless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

matrim wrote: »
    This isn't meant as a go at your stance but I don't think you can "make" them remove them. You can ask and any reasonable person will respect your wishes, but my understanding of the law is that so long as the picture was taken in public they have every right to put it up if they want.

From my understanding of the law (and comments regarding legalities over on the Photography forum) the copyright of the image remains with the photographer, and he can do with it what he likes, so long as it's not used for commercial or illegal purposes. If the image was taken in a public place (in other words the persons being photographed have no reasonable expectation of privacy) then if he wants to put them up on Facebook, he can. Use by a GAA club or a creche would come under promotional use, which is why they will ask for a waiver from parents.

When I say 'make' I generally mean it'd be a close family member or friend that we'd say 'We don't want that picture up, can you take it down'. Its only happened once or twice and we've never had to get all legal about it. As we don't post pictures of them, most people know the score at this stage and don't even bother with posting pictures of our children.

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

And what if that newspaper has an online version so they put the photo up there? It's endless really.

I think.. but am open to correction.. that there is some guidelines about posting online. I know my kids have been in the paper for various things, and one thing in particular we were told (asked, actually!) the pictures would be put on their Facebook page. I was checking the pages.. online newspaper & Facebook regularly to get a copy of the pictures, and when I contacted them to know when they'd be up I was told they wouldn't as they hadn't gotten permission from all parents.

So, I don't know..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I think.. but am open to correction.. that there is some guidelines about posting online. I know my kids have been in the paper for various things, and one thing in particular we were told (asked, actually!) the pictures would be put on their Facebook page. I was checking the pages.. online newspaper & Facebook regularly to get a copy of the pictures, and when I contacted them to know when they'd be up I was told they wouldn't as they hadn't gotten permission from all parents.

So, I don't know..?

I can understand the worry, and it's good they asked permission but that's a real shame on the kids who were allowed have their pic taken. I used to love seeing myself in pictures with events I did in school! And if they're online you can download a good resolution pic to keep instead of the newspaper cutting, or send it to family abroad.

The only alternative would be to blur out faces but that might leave you with a really strange photo if more than one or two opted for it.

I see entirely no problem with it. Of course as another user says "context" is everything. Posting pictures of my children in their bath at home is differnt to posting pictures of my children playing with a football in the park.

For me the "privacy" line is divided where people with eyes can see the thing anyway. If my child is in the park with a ball then people can see the child. So what is the difference if they see the child live or in a photo? I simply have no issue with it.

I also do not buy the line of argument that it is "the childs face and I have no right to post it" line of argument because surely that line of argument applies to ANYONES face. If we are going to stop posting pictures because we do not "own" the face in the picture - then we should not be posting pictures of anyone ever without express consent.

As I say - for me the dividing line is simple. "Is this picture of something people would have seen if they happened to be walking past anyway?". If the answer is "yes" then people generally can post what they like.

I was a preschool teacher and we'd regularly have little concerts for parents to attend. If one parent objected to photos being taken, no one was allowed to take photos. Harsh, but they were the rules. We also had to get individual consent from each parent that we were allowed to take the child's picture in school doing activities and if a parent objected, we didn't take photos of that child.
    I'm extremely glad my parents weren't of the Facebook/photo sharing generation. I would hate to know there were images of me from childhood floating around the internet and there was nothing I could do about it, just because my parents wanted to 'share' with their friends. I've heard all the statements about 'public places' and 'what does it matter if the image is out there', but as I said in my first post me and my husband are the guardians of our children's images, on and offline. If others don't mind photos being posted on Facebook that is their prerogative, but equally we have the right to keep our children off social media.

but equally we have the right to keep our children off social media.

You have the right to ask I agree. But I have to admit I am totally in the dark on what peoples _actual_ rights are in this regard legally. If someone chooses to post a picture that happens to have your child in it - what actual "rights" do you have? I am not sure myself. Law is not my strong point.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure either. As I said we've never had to get legal about people who have posted pictures. But I heard a case on the news today about the right to be "forgotten" online. I think things will evolve.

Advertisement