Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

other people posting pics of your kids on facebook

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Can anyone give me a real life example of how innocent pictures posted on Facebook, Instagram etc has actually caused harm for the child in question?

I don't think we should be using "harm" as a yardstick here.

Should we evaluate every question we ask as to whether or not it will cause physical harm?

I don't post photos of my kids on FB because I don't think it's fair on them. It's their choice if they want pictures of themselves all over the net or not.

That's not a choice I am going to take from them, and it's certainly not a choice I am going to let anyone else take either.

Besides, who knows how advanced technology will become such that it algorithms can pull every piece of available data about you online.

What's that? A photo of little Johnny throwing a tantrum? Guess we can't hire him, violent tendencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

I would support every strict laws around the privacy of minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I think its wrong that when a child goes to set up a Facebook account of their own their whole life is already on Facebook through their parents putting up pictures on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Pretty sure if you take a pic in a public place, you own the copyright, not the people in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

keith16 wrote: »

Besides, who knows how advanced technology will become such that it algorithms can pull every piece of available data about you online.

What's that? A photo of little Johnny throwing a tantrum? Guess we can't hire him, violent tendencies.

I think I understand your concern but I think you're obsessing on photos.

To be honest, I would be more concerned at how profiling of our day to day behaviours/movements etc. than some poxy pics as a kid.
    valerossi wrote: »
    I remember having a serious argument with my sons GAA coach/Teacher about 5 years ago about pictures of him and his team on a Facebook page, he just couldn't comprehend why I told him to take them down. The little runt ended up just blacking out his face.
    But he has always had a massive issue with me because I never allowed my sons miss school to play a game either.

You sound like a delightful person. Your child was totally unidentifiable and that still isn't enough?

I think people are totally losing the run of themselves in both directions to be honest. You have massive oversharers on one end and on the other you have 'paedeogeddon' believing storm troopers waiting to apprehend any attempt to infilitrate their young johnnies thought space.

A friend of mine was taking pics of his kids in a playground in the UK. We were at one corner of the playground and he was taking a photo of his two kids up on a slide (from below). There were no other kids on the slide and no kids within at least 6/7 metres. And the only thing in the background of the pic was sky anyway. A woman angrily shouted over that he shouldn't be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think this whole area is going to get allot more interesting, is the right to be forgotten legislation the start of more powers in this area.

There is a middle ground here but if i as a parent ask someone to take a picture of my child down i dont expect them to get pissy with me over it i expect it to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I don't mind if people do or don't post photos of their kids online. However I think it's unreasonable to expect that if the child is at a birthday party and photos are taken, that it's requested they take them down. The parent should be told beforehand that the child is not to be photographed so that they can make sure that child is out of frame.

For example if I take a picture of my child blowing out her birthday candles and post it, and get a request from a parent to take it down after, I'd refuse unless it's possible to crop the child out. But I'm not going to not let my family see the special moments in her life because of someone elses ideals.

If I am told beforehand, I can ask that child to move away from the main shot so that everyone is happy (except probably the child who ends up being slightly excluded)

It all comes down to context, i dont think there is a black or white method in dealing with it.

In the case of a birthday party ect, i think group pictures are acceptable. In the OP's case pictures were being sent and the person was then putting them up without permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Calhoun wrote: »
    It all comes down to context, i dont think there is a black or white method in dealing with it.

In the case of a birthday party ect, i think group pictures are acceptable. In the OP's case pictures were being sent and the person was then putting them up without permission.

Other people have stated that they'd ask a group shot to be taken down though. If I had an individual shot of a child at a party and was asked to take it down I would. But I wouldn't take down group shots to be honest and I'd be p*ssed to be asked because I think it's the type of thing that should be said BEFORE the pictures are taken so the child can be avoided in pictures. Rather than resulting in parents not being able to share their own child's birthday party pictures.

Similarly at a sporting or school event, let the parent remove the child from the group shot before it's taken. I'm just recalling my daughters communion where her whole class were together for photos and parents were snapping away. If someone had an issue with those pictures being shared, they should remove their child from the situation rather than contacting 30 other parents who've shared their child's photo of their child's class.

Once it's been taken it's a bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Legally any picture taken publicly is owned by the taker and the content can be used in almost any way they like. If you were walking down the street and someone takes a pic they are free to do what they like with it.

This is a really, really good thing & ensures liberty. This freedom was eroded in the UK when it became illegal to film police officers.

In the specific sense, team photo, birthday party etc what should happen is that permission to take a picture should be obtained by the owner of the premises. Again, those in the picture have no say.

Best option for the parent is to remove your child from the pictures or have an open chat with other parents on the issue of pictures.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Legally any picture taken publicly is owned by the taker and the content can be used in almost any way they like. If you were walking down the street and someone takes a pic they are free to do what they like with it.

This is a really, really good thing & ensures liberty. This freedom was eroded in the UK when it became illegal to film police officers.

In the specific sense, team photo, birthday party etc what should happen is that permission to take a picture should be obtained by the owner of the premises. Again, those in the picture have no say.

Best option for the parent is to remove your child from the pictures or have an open chat with other parents on the issue of pictures.

I suppose right now this permission exists who knows in the future. I was also under the impression in some scenarios pictures couldn't be used for commercial purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I suppose right now this permission exists who knows in the future. I was also under the impression in some scenarios pictures couldn't be used for commercial purposes.

You cant use someones image specifically to make money with unless you have agreement. Example : Woman swishing her hair in the park gets onto a shampoo poster. Her image was specifically sold.

When on private premises sometimes you have to agree to no commercial uses in order to take pictures, normally museums etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

ch750536 wrote: »
    You cant use someones image specifically to make money with unless you have agreement. Example : Woman swishing her hair in the park gets onto a shampoo poster. Her image was specifically sold.

That would explain why Katherine Heigl is able to sue a pharmacy for tweeting a photo of her leaving one of their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My mother gave me a look of unholy anger when I told her that she wouldn't be allowed to share pictures of my daughter on Facebook (when she eventually gets here). I told my sister she could, once she changed her page to private. My sister was happy to agree to this, my mother protested that she could do the same. Had to remind her that she has over 1000 friends on Facebook, and at LEAST 400 of them are strangers that she has added for Facebook games.

I know of two women who came across fake profiles on Facebook where pictures of their kids were used and claimed to be someone else's. I've had the same thing happen with actual pictures of me. You have no idea what kind of audience the pictures are reaching, who is using them and what for. I wouldn't demand that anyone take pictures of my kids down, but rather ask them to change the privacy settings for the picture so that I know who can and cannot see it.

From my understanding of the law (and comments regarding legalities over on the Photography forum) the copyright of the image remains with the photographer, and he can do with it what he likes, so long as it's not used for commercial or illegal purposes. If the image was taken in a public place (in other words the persons being photographed have no reasonable expectation of privacy) then if he wants to put them up on Facebook, he can. Use by a GAA club or a creche would come under promotional use, which is why they will ask for a waiver from parents.

This is the post I got confused with.

Anyway I firmly believe in an age of social media of folk aren't sensitive to privacy concerns of parents it will lead down a path to legislation being put in place over here.

Don't get me wrong a random photo ect in a group of people I doubt many would have much issue with but taking individual up close pictures is where the trouble begins.

The case Shasha has called out is probably closer to what the op was discussin and where most parents would have concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

This happened a while back with our son, also.
    My GF's sister's partner posted photos of my son on his Facebook. When I spot it, I noticed that there were people I didnt know commenting on the photos.
    I had him remove them straight away.
    I didn't help that the guy also has photos of other people's kids on his page. He's a bit of a creep.
    Unless me or my Gf give permission, nobody is allowed to post images of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

This is the post I got confused with.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you confused about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

ItsShane wrote: »
    This happened a while back with our son, also.
    My GF's sister's partner posted photos of my son on his Facebook. When I spot it, I noticed that there were people I didnt know commenting on the photos.
    I had him remove them straight away.
    I didn't help that the guy also has photos of other people's kids on his page. He's a bit of a creep.
    Unless me or my Gf give permission, nobody is allowed to post images of him.

WTF is your girlfriend's sister's partner posting photos of your son on his facebook? :confused: :eek: What an absolute weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

tinkerbell wrote: »
    WTF is your girlfriend's sister's partner posting photos of your son on his facebook? :confused: :eek: What an absolute weirdo.

I have no idea, but as soon as I spot the pictures I told him to take them down and he did so, promptly.
    What bugs me most about it is the fact that there's pictures of other people's children and I don't see any of the parents complaining.

• Advertisement

If you don't mind me asking, what were you confused about?

It was conflicting with what ch75036 was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

It was conflicting with what ch75036 was talking about.

There's no conflict. The photographer retains copyright and is free to use the images, put on Facebook or whatever. If he intends using them for commercial or promotional purposes, he must get a 'model waiver' from the subjects in the photo. So if I take a picture of your kids football team, I can put it on Facebook, Instagram or wherever without your permission. However if I use it to advertise a product or promote say the club, then I do need permission.

Advertisement