Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car theft from outside Dublin Hotel

Options
  • 08-05-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Any help appreciated! My child had a hospital appointment in Crumlin Hospital, we stayed in a hotel 5 minutes from the hospital as has been the case for a few years now.An early appointment is necessary as the treatment takes the full day so this hotel is always used as its convenient and staff are very nice.We have to travel a long distance hence the need to stay the night before treatment.On Wednesday (yesterday), booked in as usual but in the morning the car was gone! What scumbag would deprive a sick child,I did not realise that Dublin still had such low-life but from reading Journal.ie today there would seem to have been a spate of car thefts and car jackings across the City last night.I'm at my wits end as I need the car.Without it I had to pay taxis and buses and then had to buy a ticket for the train home for myself and my child..............money that I haven't got.What are my rights,the car is insured.Is the hotel liable for anything? The Gardai and Insurance company were notified immediately.Gardai were very understanding.Couldn't say the same for the Ins Co.How long before this is sorted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from bargain alerts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Unfortunately, its unlikely that the hotel would have any liability, its between you and your insurance company.

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this topic, I'll have a think where it'd be best suited to get you the best answers.

Best of luck though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pension

Yes OP, the insurance company should pay out for theft. I wouldn't think the hotel are liable at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Unless the hotel charges you extra for secure parking, you have no comeback against them. Your insurers will pay out after a reasonable period to see if the car turns up. Your out of pocket additional expenses cannot be recovered I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Hotel or neighbouring properties may have CCTV? Im sure Gda will check this. Insurance company will pay out after waiting approx 30 days to see if car is recovered based on the market value of the car less your excess.
    Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

How was the car stolen with or without keys?

Difficult to steal a modern car without keys!

What car was it, maybe put up a pic in case anyone spots it around. Or the reg number!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Dia1988 wrote: »
    How was the car stolen with or without keys?

Difficult to steal a modern car without keys!

What car was it, maybe put up a pic in case anyone spots it around. Or the reg number!

Unfortunately you're not correct here, its sometimes easier.. search car hacking

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Were you a paying guest in hotel for at least one night and had checked in before the theft?

Was the car park a hotel car park, or 'on street'?

If a hotel car park, then the hotel are liable under hotel proprietors act 1963. Its a very short act, but gives cover for such an eventuality.

Read it, then contact hotel. If no luck, contact your insurer and make sure that they seek recovery from hotel.

Advertisement