Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swimming pool/6 month jabs

Options
  • 08-05-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi All Just a quick question, my little one had His 6 month injections today and i wAS wondering is It ok to Bring him to swimming Pool this weekend, His first visit to the pool?? I forgot to ask the nurse today so Just lookin for others opinions:-\

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't see why not, unless he is sick?

I was swimming yesterday with my 8 week old, she had her jabs on tuesday. Didn't even occur to me that jabs and swimming might have anything to do with eachother. You have me wondering now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

On my first (shes 2 now) i asked about swimming when she was getting her 2 month injections.
    I was told i could bring her at that stage once she had the 2 month vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My doctor said there was no need to wait for vaccines, but a lot of parents prefer to. My PHN said she couldn't advise outside of HSE guidelines (4-6 months incase a younger baby might get chilled - nothing to do with vaccinations - see here) but gave the impression it wasn't anything to worry about.

Go for it. We started taking our 6 month last week. Best fun ever.

I Just remembered some pools wont let babies under 6 months. I know a gym/leisure centre i was with wouldnt but my local public pool said it was fine once they had 2 month vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi all, thanks for the advice, i have the swimming trunks bought and looking forward to bringing him tomorrow to see how he gets on, id say it will be ok as long as i dont keep him in it too long maybe incase he gets cold....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Jabs are not an issue. Depending on pool temp you might need a wetsuit.
    I do waterbabies with my little girl. The youngest they had in our pool was 3weeks old

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

jackben wrote: »
    hi all, thanks for the advice, i have the swimming trunks bought and looking forward to bringing him tomorrow to see how he gets on, id say it will be ok as long as i dont keep him in it too long maybe incase he gets cold....:)

My only concern is how the area around the injection looks. Our fellas used to get swollen and red for a few days where the needle was inserted. I'd have avoided pools for a while in case the water and/or chlorine irritated the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eishaa

I've being bringing my little girl swimming since she was 8 weeks. I waited a day or two after any vaccinations but there was never any problem. I also got a wetsuit for her and do leave a towel beside the pool so she doesn't get cold when we get out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I bring the baby's towel out to the pool so I can take him straight to the showers before heading back to the locker room. It gets him warmed up quickly and he makes a face like this under the warm water

otgahu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Ha ha thats some face alright.
    We brought him to the pool today an he loved every minute of it,, brought a towel out to the pool with us to keep him warm, will be back again soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm not a parent but I was wondering what do babies wear when their in the water so they don't dirty it. Is there special water proof nappies/pants that they wear?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm not a parent but I was wondering what do babies wear when their in the water so they don't dirty it. Is there special water proof nappies/pants that they wear?

Yep I get huggies little swimmers. They don't hold the water as much as an ordinary nappy but keep poo in (well supposed to anyway) my daughter never poo'ed in the pool but a friends did and it came out :eek:. Not sure how that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Swim nappies. Several brands of them. There are both disposable and washable ones available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

You use a double layer system
    1. A water nappy - tescos have them
    2. A happy nappy - get them in boots, mothercare or online

Never had an accidents with them

Advertisement