Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I be able to play Region 1 DVDs on my laptop?

Options
  • 08-05-2014 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Will I be able to play Region 1 DVDs on my laptop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you just want to play Region 1 DVDs or multiple regions ?

If you just want Region 1 dvds, then typically laptop/desktop dvds allow you to change the region on them up to around 5 times at most.

Go into the Windows control panel, select "Devices and printers" and you should see your DVD drive listed under "DVD/CD-ROM Drives".

Right click on your drive and select "Properties", and you typically will see a windows tab saying "DVD Region" and how many "changes" it will allow you to make to your region.

If you want to change it many more times then there's probably software that can do it, but I don't know them off by heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

If its yours then run the dvd through dvdfab or slysoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm not sure if it still does but VLC will play DVDs regardless of region without changing the region on the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You can also use anydvd, not sure if it's free though

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Adyx wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it still does but VLC will play DVDs regardless of region without changing the region on the drive.

It does. I just popped in a region 1 DVD to make sure and it played no hassle.

This is by far your best and easiest option. VLC plays all the major audio and video filetypes (and lots of obscure ones!) with no messing about, it installs in seconds too. I've been using at as my media player on Windows and Linux for years now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement