Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture

Options
  • 08-05-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi. We are looking to buy an apartment. Price now is at 22% above asking. Agent several times confirmed that furniture is included in the price. Today however he rang and said that furniture & appliances are included in sale but will be priced separately. Is this normal? Who will set price? Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

natali1982 wrote: »
    Hi. We are looking to buy an apartment. Price now is at 22% above asking. Agent several times confirmed that furniture is included in the price. Today however he rang and said that furniture & appliances are included in sale but will be priced separately. Is this normal? Who will set price? Thanks so much

Furniture secondhand is really not worthmuch. Tell him it was agreed when put in offer. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff over the furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Agent several times confirmed that furniture is included in the price.
    Was it ever confirmed in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

It has never been confirmed in writing. I'm afraid agent wants to squeeze even more eur from us. So disapponted with the whole process.

It has never been confirmed in writing. I'm afraid agent wants to squeeze even more eur from us. So disapponted with the whole process.
    Has he explained this change to you?

No Pants wrote: »
    Has he explained this change to you?

No explanation, he just said furniture will be priced separately. Bidding will most likely be finalised tomorrow. He should advise furniture price before we pay deposit right?

• Advertisement

No explanation, he just said furniture will be priced separately. Bidding will most likely be finalised tomorrow. He should advise furniture price before we pay deposit right?
    I'd consider pulling out altogether. I certainly would not be in any hurry to proceed.

Well I believe that's exactely what he wants and expects. I got an impression he knows the other bidder and wants to secure a deal for him. We'll see what happens 2morrow.

Well I believe that's exactely what he wants and expects. I got an impression he knows the other bidder and wants to secure a deal for him. We'll see what happens 2morrow.
    22% over the asking price isn't much of a deal. At the very least, when the furniture price comes in, I'd be reducing my property bid by a matching amount.

Thanks for this. Bidding has been on for over a month and after numerous follow ups he finaly decided to wrap it up by end of this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't bother with the furniture at all, unless it was new and of a decent standard. Which I seriously doubt. Get your own stuff - at least you know where it's been! ;)

Ask the agent what the price of the furniture is, and match that price accordingly.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this. Bidding has been on for over a month and after numerous follow ups he finaly decided to wrap it up by end of this week.

To clarify - final viewing was over a month ago so alltogether this has been dragging for over two months :(

To clarify - final viewing was over a month ago so alltogether this has been dragging for over two months :(
    See if you can drag it out a little longer, then pull out.

See if you can drag it out a little longer, then pull out.

Why is that?

Why is that?
    Because the agent is trying to gouge you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Because the agent is trying to gouge you.

If its in the greater Dublin or Cork areas- the agent will achieve the prices he imagines he is going to get.......... Be careful- its not a buyers market.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

He probably just means the furniture will be paid for separately. This is common practice to avoid paying stamp duty and conveyancing costs on furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, they are seperate things altogether

I would not pay a deposit until it is made entirely clear exactly what you are getting for your money.

Where is your solicitor in all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

You're getting gouged and by the sounds of it you won't be able to do much about it. You can try to say you don't want the furniture and this is your bid ex furniture, but the seller mightn't want the hassle of moving it/disposing it or selling it on so will just take any higher bid that does include the furniture. It's a nice little way for them to squeeze and pad a little more on to the sale price.

These are the signs of a sellers' market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Eldarion wrote: »
    You're getting gouged and by the sounds of it you won't be able to do much about it. You can try to say you don't want the furniture and this is your bid ex furniture, but the seller mightn't want the hassle of moving it/disposing it or selling it on so will just take any higher bid that does include the furniture. It's a nice little way for them to squeeze and pad a little more on to the sale price.

These are the signs of a sellers' market.

+1

Furniture that sellers leave behind is usually rubbish ... just easier to leave it there than dump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

murphaph wrote: »
    He probably just means the furniture will be paid for separately. This is common practice to avoid paying stamp duty and conveyancing costs on furniture.

Definitely looks that way, but the savings these days are tiny - If they claim all the kit is worth 5k its going to save the buyer €50 and the seller a similar pittance. Unless the place is selling for 999,950 or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Tell the agent, thats great you dont want the furniture, remove it all. I reckon that could be more of a pain than fighting over the price , they might throw it in then...

An update - Last Friday EA was supposed to finalise sale. Of cous we didn't hear from him until we called at 6 pm. He said other party raised bid by 1 k so we raised for another one (total 184 k). On Monday afternoon he advised current bid is 185 k and we said we'll call him next morning should we decide to raise again. We called this morning just to find out property went SALE AGREED. Unbeliveable attitude folks!

Can please somebody advise if EA have to be involved in property sale by law? I've never seen an add on Adverts, ebay.ie etc.

Bit sad but at least saga is over.

An update - Last Friday EA was supposed to finalise sale. Of cous we didn't hear from him until we called at 6 pm. He said other party raised bid by 1 k so we raised for another one (total 184 k). On Monday afternoon he advised current bid is 185 k and we said we'll call him next morning should we decide to raise again. We called this morning just to find out property went SALE AGREED. Unbeliveable attitude folks!

Can please somebody advise if EA have to be involved in property sale by law? I've never seen an add on Adverts, ebay.ie etc.

EAs do not have to be involved at all. Private sales happen all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,951 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sorry to hear that. I know how draining it is chasing these things over the course of months :(

It does sound like there was something else going on that you weren't privy to. Might have dodged a bullet there!

Eldarion wrote: »
    EAs do not have to be involved at all. Private sales happen all the time.

I see. So where are all these ads? I would very much prefer to deal with seller directly. In our case it proved that EA doesn't work in seller's or buyer's interest so nobody wins except him.

I see. So where are all these ads? I would very much prefer to deal with seller directly. In our case it proved that EA doesn't work in seller's or buyer's interest so nobody wins except him.

Well advertising is where an EA would come in. That's not to say private sales aren't advertised, just that you stand a far less chance of seeing them. Private sales generally happen between a buyer and seller who already know each other and so don't need an EA to connect a given buyer with a given seller.

Advertisement