Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

110v earth wire problem!!

Options
  • 08-05-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I bought a second hand Makita 110v circular saw recently!

I found a nick in the wire and it was close to the saw so i said i would just cut it off where the nick was and put the good bit back into the saw!!

I opened up the saw to find that the earth wire was just cut off and wasnt connected to anything?

The saw is working and all fine!!

What im wondering is if 110v power tools need a earth wire?? or should it be connected to something?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

I bought a second hand Makita 110v circular saw recently!

I found a nick in the wire and it was close to the saw so i said i would just cut it off where the nick was and put the good bit back into the saw!!

I opened up the saw to find that the earth wire was just cut off and wasnt connected to anything?

The saw is working and all fine!!

What im wondering is if 110v power tools need a earth wire?? or should it be connected to something?

Cheers!

It Should have an earth wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WellKiiid??

http://www.makita.nl/images/files/onderdelen/nl/5704r-te.pdf

I found this on the internet its the repair manuel for the saw!! It looks to only have 2 wires in it but it doesnt say which two!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Does it have this symbol on it?

DoubleIns.gif

Just saw your manual indicates it's double insulated...no earth is required.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hallo dare wrote: »

Unless of course it is Double Insulated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Manual says that protection from shock is by double insulation, which in my book means that it doesn't use an earth wire.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Please don't give incorrect advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You bet me to it Brightspark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WellKiiid??

Does it have this symbol on it?

DoubleIns.gif

Just saw your manual indicates it's double insulated...no earth is required.

Thanks a million for clearing it up!! i can work in peace now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Not incorrect advice if it's not double insulated

Not incorrect advice if it's not double insulated

Most small hand tools now are double insulated, but your post made no reference to class 1 or class 2. You just said it "Should" be earthed which is wrong advice in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Not great to give incorrect advice, but to tell someone not to, is a slight paradox possibly.

Advertisement