Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Public Administration - HR Part-time

Options
  • 08-05-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,

Has anybody any experience with IPA? I am looking into doing the part-time HR Masters.

I am just wondering about the following:

- The quality of learning
    - The work load (essays, exams, presentations/group work)
    - Recognition

I know it is well suited towards the public sector. Would this still be well recognised if I don't see myself in the public sector?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

Hi Just finished the BBS in IS in IT with the IPA. I did it via distance and had to attend the college for about 4 weekends. All books and manuals were supplied to me. The quality of the material was good and I'll let you know how good it was when I received my results next month!

Loads of people who don't work in the public sector do the courses with them and the Degree is issued by UCD so it's recognised anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FudgeBrownie

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply!

Were there a lot of assignments and presentations for your course?

No presentations as I was doing it distance and as for assignments I had two 2,500 word assignments for each subject so as I was doing 4 subjects that was 8 assignments for the first three years. The final year consisted of four 3,200 word assignments with exams at the end of the year rather than a thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I did my BBS there and whilst it was challenging it was also manageable - 4th year can be a bugger with an extra subject thrown in for good measure.

I have since done a masters and also started lecturing and from my first class of graduates two went on to do their masters in the IPA and are currently awaiting results but they both report that the quality is still high.

Be warned though that distance or part-time education requires commitment and also great time management. However, on the plus side part-time/distance and mature students tend to perform better and are able to call on their life skills and experience.

I did my BBS there and whilst it was challenging it was also manageable - 4th year can be a bugger with an extra subject thrown in for good measure.

I have since done a masters and also started lecturing and from my first class of graduates two went on to do their masters in the IPA and are currently awaiting results but they both report that the quality is still high.

Be warned though that distance or part-time education requires commitment and also great time management. However, on the plus side part-time/distance and mature students tend to perform better and are able to call on their life skills and experience.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Work has quite a 24/7 feel as it is, so I imagine time management is going to be pretty challenging. All worth it though. Great point about calling on skills and experience. Also what I learn shall be applicable to current work.

Great, once the quality is high as it is really about what I learn. Out of interest, did it take you long to get into lecturing after doing your masters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I went straight into it once I completed the masters. I had applied previously whilst doing the masters but only got called to interview once I had it completed. I'm one of those on the lower rates compared to some of the fossils who are still using the same lecture notes they started with in the 80s!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭taato

I've just submitted my MA thesis in Public Management to the IPA last month. It was a two year programme and the first year is common to a number of specialities including the HR stream.

The first year is hard going - especially if like me you have been out of education for a number of years. There are 3 modules studied and examined before christmas and another 3 around easter. You can see the details on their websits. Each module has an exam and a 2500 word assignment - the first three due in november (as far as I remember) and the second three in March. with exams in the middle of dec and april.

The second year, students chose which avenue to follow. The Public Management stream year two consists of a 25000 - 30000 word dissertation but the HR stream involves 3 more modules with 3 assignments and exams in the first term and a smaller dissertation in the second terms (xmas to easter) roughly 10 - 15,000 words.

While the going is hard, I really enjoyed the experience and I have found the lecturers to be excellent and the books are supplied. It is a very supportive learning environment and staff are well aware of the competing responsibilities of adult learners. Hope my results are OK and reflect all the hard work I put in.

BTW - lots of student from the private sector.

taato wrote: »
    I've just submitted my MA thesis in Public Management to the IPA last month. It was a two year programme and the first year is common to a number of specialities including the HR stream.

The first year is hard going - especially if like me you have been out of education for a number of years. There are 3 modules studied and examined before christmas and another 3 around easter. You can see the details on their websits. Each module has an exam and a 2500 word assignment - the first three due in november (as far as I remember) and the second three in March. with exams in the middle of dec and april.

The second year, students chose which avenue to follow. The Public Management stream year two consists of a 25000 - 30000 word dissertation but the HR stream involves 3 more modules with 3 assignments and exams in the first term and a smaller dissertation in the second terms (xmas to easter) roughly 10 - 15,000 words.

While the going is hard, I really enjoyed the experience and I have found the lecturers to be excellent and the books are supplied. It is a very supportive learning environment and staff are well aware of the competing responsibilities of adult learners. Hope my results are OK and reflect all the hard work I put in.

BTW - lots of student from the private sector.

Hi taato, thanks for your response.

Was there much group work or many presentations?

Great to hear it is enjoyable. Congrats on handing in your thesis.

Hi fudge brownie. No there are no presentations or group exercises, probably because people are from all parts of the country. Some people get together to form study groups, with people researching particular topics and sharing notes with group members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Moocifer may I ask what did the 4 weeks you attended involve? Was this the Exams or was it for group-work or something else?

• Advertisement

The four weekends were just so you could meet the tutors and the other students.

They were a great chance to ask questions and run through stuff I was struggling with.

Often were were given handouts that related to the course. If you couldn't go it wasn't a problem as all the material from the weekends was posted on Moodle afterwards.

There was no group work as we were from all over the country.

That sounds great. I am hoping to apply this week.

Sorry, an off topic question, but I emailed them and didn't get the answer:

Did you have to pay for your first semester as you put in your application, or could you pay during the semester?

No, I didn't pay until the first weekend seminar in September...... Hadn't got it tbh. I may have paid in two instalments, sept and Jan.

Sorry I can't comment on the fees as mine were paid direct by my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

That sounds great. I am hoping to apply this week.

Sorry, an off topic question, but I emailed them and didn't get the answer:

Did you have to pay for your first semester as you put in your application, or could you pay during the semester?

FudgeBrownie. No. I attended the IPA for four years and never paid the fees with my application. I paid the fees in two installments, in September and January. They are quite flexible in that regard. However, as far as I'm aware you will need to have your fees paid by the time you do exams. Hope this helps.

Advertisement