Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Second batch official!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭boblaw88

I've done 2 degrees and this is quote pacey compared to that. Nothing for it but getting the head down sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 32 quizzicaljones

We'll be ok. All in it together! It will be good fun when in there.

Just bought a case of red bull, a copy of mind maps and some pens. Let's do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Stupid question but what are you all revising???

Pre-Induction Online Material
    Post Induction / Pre Commencement Online Material

Above assessed in the 1st few days.

1st Couple of weeks Pre-Reads to keep on top of the game.

• Advertisement

So you have passed everything and received the illusive call? Can I ask what online learning group you were in? If you don't want to say on here I'd appreciate a pm. Trying to gauge where I'm at, passed everything and waiting :-/ thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

boblaw88 wrote: »
    Pre-Induction Online Material
    Post Induction / Pre Commencement Online Material

Above assessed in the 1st few days.

1st Couple of weeks Pre-Reads to keep on top of the game.

I've just been taking it easy on it so far!

Anyone think the exam will be like the knowledge checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Anyone think the exam will be like the knowledge checks?

Yes from what I hear they are all multiple choice and largely similar to the knowledge checks so I would print them out too... Don't neglect the small things you think they might not ask through. Never know!

As for definitions I've now got them all on my phone and on repeat in my ears! We aren't tested until week 8 on them as far as I know but you never know when a lovely chief inspector might pass you in the corridor and ask you to recite a certain definition ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Banti

Hi guys

Anyone else get an email from The Sgt today? I have almost completed the induction work but it's showing that I am not registered? Apparently I am not going in the correct way?

• Advertisement

Banti wrote: »
    Hi guys

Anyone else get an email from Sgt today? I have almost completed the induction work but it's showing that I am not registered? Apparently I am not going in the correct way?

I'm in the same boat!

student15 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat!

Any idea what we are doing wrong?

Just curious but could someone tell me roughly how long between getting "the call" to the induction and to your start date? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Choobs

It's roughly 2 weeks to your induction and 5-6 weeks in total to your start date. Someone can correct me if wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 33 babawiggum

Im in biy very apprehensive as to what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 babawiggum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

babawiggum wrote: »

Don't stress about it, stressing won't make any difference. No matter what they say, everyone is slightly apprehensive about the whole thing in one way or another because it's a situation like no other.

If you're worried about the morals of others, then you might need to start hardening your mind a bit before you get out on the streets. You will see the very worst of society, bits that no one else sees and you'll have to be able to deal with it professionally without anyone seeing what effect it might have on you beneath your green skin. Be proud of your faith, don't apologize for it. Bit equally, respect those who do not share it because there are plenty in this world and it doesn't automatically make them bad people. If you see something happening which you know goes against the rules, the onus is on you as a student officer to report it.

So basically what I'm trying to say is chill out, most of what you're hearing about the situations at gv is almost certainly rubbish. If this job is what you want to do, then do it. You obviously have potential if you have made it this far!

Choobs wrote: »
    It's roughly 2 weeks to your induction and 5-6 weeks in total to your start date. Someone can correct me if wrong

Thank you! Playing the waiting game and wondering how far in advance I should be taking orders. Don't want to to let people down or turn business away but at the same time I don't want to be in GV at running home trying to complete an order I've promised.

On a different note does anyone know how we go about explaining new job to insure companies (I.e. life and car)? Or does anyone know of any ones that are typically used especially for discreetness?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alex_murphy

On a different note does anyone know how we go about explaining new job to insure companies (I.e. life and car)? Or does anyone know of any ones that are typically used especially for discreetness?

Wouldn't stating civil servant be sufficient?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't stating civil servant be sufficient?

I was thinking that, but you know what insurance companies can be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Civil Service as a job is fine.

Guys - might seem an odd question but I will ask anyway. In the absence of any contract of employment this far - anyone any idea how much we are goin to get paid for the first 6 months. Trying to work out the old finances and would love to know how much we are going to get paid net?

Thanks

Banti wrote: »
    Guys - might seem an odd question but I will ask anyway. In the absence of any contract of employment this far - anyone any idea how much we are goin to get paid for the first 6 months. Trying to work out the old finances and would love to know how much we are going to get paid net?

Thanks

Your exact amount per month with be different due to deductions such as student loan, tax and national insurance pension and if you sign up to any payroll giving scheme. It will be £23,259 pa during your training period so factor in your deductions and then obviously work out 22weeks of that.

Cheers - suppose it is a wait and see game!! Also - I have a couple of pals currently serving and they get £268 a month for an NI allowance - anyone know if we get this also?

I believe that allowance starts straight away

Is that money separate to the 23,259 or included in that number?

Belfastm wrote: »
    Is that money separate to the 23,259 or included in that number?

Is in addition to the standard salary :)

My brother is applying this time round and has been looking at the join psni website along with the advice for guidance booklet for this campaign. He can't find salary information anywhere. Wonder is this under review?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Batman91

Could anyone tell me what the NI allowance is?

Advertisement