Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vicious

• 08-05-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

My one year old jacker is really vicious. She goes absolutely ballistic when I stranger comes in or try's to pet them. And it's not just all bark and no bite. I think she is really afraid. I can't even let kids pet her when I am walking her. Any advice. .. seriously at my wits end

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Get a behaviourist out to the house. Depending on where you are Citizen Canine are great. The behaviourist will help you to come up with a strategy for making the dog more comfortable and less aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Get a behaviourist out to the house. Depending on where you are Citizen Canine are great. The behaviourist will help you to come up with a strategy for making the dog more comfortable and less aggressive.

Thanks. I'm in Dublin but emailed them.still waiting for a response

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Try Tara at AniEd - another qualified behaviourist. This dog needs a proper behaviour modification programme put in place.

Bear in mind as there is no legislation in place governing the industry, Dan down the road can call himself a trainer and behaviourist in the morning. Ask what their credentials are - fully qualified behaviourists will have studies in the UK and need these qualifications to have the correct insurance in place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ask what their credentials are - fully qualified behaviourists will have studies in the UK

Or the US ;-)
    But yes, absolutely the owner should take some time to make sure the behaviourist they're thinking of employing has completed recognised 3rd level courses, are members of reputable professional associations, and certainly in the case of a behaviourist, they should have professional indemnity insurance, which is hard to get unless you're suitably qualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

DBB wrote: »
    Or the US ;-)

Oops of course! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Thanks everyone. Am definitely going to get the behaviour anylist out(not sure what to call them ha)
    Real shame with her as she's a real smart dog. Just wired. I'm getting her neutered soon so Maybe that will help also

Advertisement