Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lenovo G510, Intel i7, AMD HD8750M, Hybrid-SSHD 1TB/8GB, DOS - €529 + Post[Amazon.DE]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

does it have gigabit connectivity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

cian_r wrote: »

I don't see mention of it (just b/g/n wireless) for either the Amazon.de or Lenovo one, but do you really need gigabit connectivity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

p15574 wrote: »
    If you're going to install Windows 8, would it not be easier to just buy directly from Lenovo here for €670? At least then you'd have the UK keyboard, 2Gb extra RAM and a lot less hassle with returns and warranty if anything goes wrong with it? You'd only save about €20 buying from the OP's link.

If you wanted Windows 8 you can get it for < €60. - Example
    Or windows 7 - Example
    The German Keyboard doesn't bother me at all. The UK keyboard was just pointed out, in case it did bother anyone, it's less than €20.

But the German one also has the AMD Mobility Radeon HD8750M Graphics in it.
    Which is quite a difference over the Intel HD 4600.

O6Flpztl.jpg

If you don't go for Windows, and keep the keyboard it's a big difference in price (Even without the AMD GPU).
    Also you could add a lot more RAM, but 4GB extra for €40 would be enough for me at the minute.

http://ksp.co.il/pdf/G510.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Fair enough, I hadn't compared the graphics on the two. Might look closer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Not according to this..........

http://www.winniscomputershop.de/pdf/1234.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Some of them have Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, others a generic 10/100 Broadcom ethernet chipset. You'd need to clarify with the vendor.

If you go to the Lenovo website to download drivers- it gives you choice of possible ethernet configurations (and wifi configurations) for this model laptop (which is also known as the Lenovo 3000 )

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

p15574 wrote: »
    but do you really need gigabit connectivity?

I guess it may not be ultra critical, but if I'm spending €500+ on a laptop, I want to future proof it as much as possible.

Mine shipped yesterday via An Post to be delivered on the 20th.

Got it for €456.93 delivered. Bargain imo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

How so cheap? Or did you buy a different version than the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

That was prob a typo

sdowling04 wrote: »
    That was prob a typo

Nope, no typo. I'm VAT registered so Amazon remove the VAT from the price.

307157.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Nope, no typo. I'm VAT registered so Amazon remove the VAT from the price.

307157.JPG

How can I get it at this price:)?

ccull123 wrote: »
    How can I get it at this price:)?

Get a VAT number, or ask someone with one, to purchase it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Allyall wrote: »
    Get a VAT number, or ask someone with one, to purchase it for you.

What are the tax implications? Are u supposed to declare at the end of the tax year?

What are the tax implications? Are u supposed to declare at the end of the tax year?

If you're being audited, you can be asked by the inspector to show the laptop (and how its used in the business)- aka, so you're not purchasing stuff for private use, and billing it to the company..........

If you don't have a business, and have no intention of starting one- don't bother trying to get a VAT number- its not worth the hassle.........

• Advertisement

Register your VAT number on your Amazon account. If you're not claiming it as a business expense and don't want it charged to the business, just pay for it with your personal credit card. Amazon aren't bothered about the payment method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddy145

I bought one and installed windows 7, had no problems with it. It came with disk with all the drivers needed for windows 8 and some for 7 except for the only one really needed which was for the wireless card, not a big deal anyway just a bit of a pain. Im happy with it based on a couple of days use. Will be changing the keyboard though its fairly annoying.

paddy145 wrote: »
    I bought one and installed windows 7, had no problems with it. It came with disk with all the drivers needed for windows 8 and some for 7 except for the only one really needed which was for the wireless card, not a big deal anyway just a bit of a pain. Im happy with it based on a couple of days use. Will be changing the keyboard though its fairly annoying.
    I put Win 8 on it.
    It's on the disc all right but doesn't install like the others.

It's the Atheros card
    Go to device manager, right click on the unknown network adapter and select 'Update driver'.
    Browse to the Broadcom/Atheros folder.
    Then into the Atheros folder.
    It should find it there.

Word of warning- don't put an Intel based card in the laptop instead- the BIOS is whitelisted with supported hardware- Intel wireless cards are not on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Its down to 499 now for anyone interested

• Advertisement

Its down to 499 now for anyone interested

Must...... resist....... temptation.......... :(

Must...... resist....... temptation.......... :(

It's a great machine.........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭MelbourneDub

I got one of these too!

I'm very happy with it.
    Great stable laptop, pretty damn fast too! (a tiny bit on the heavy side though)

I had a few issues with the graphics card / driver.
    Did anyone else have this? The driver supplied on the disc doesn't seem to be suitable.
    I think AMD are aware of an issue and have released a version omitting certain files that are contained on the disc supplied from Germany.

I don't work in I.T. but basically as far as I can make out there is integrated Intel graphics and a separate AMD Radeon graphics card. I have all the drivers installed but I'm not entirely sure I'm getting the full resolution.

Also the card crashes quite regularly, which is a pain but recovers itself.
    Hopefully there'll be a another software update shortly.

I got one of these too!

I'm very happy with it.
    Great stable laptop, pretty damn fast too! (a tiny bit on the heavy side though)

I had a few issues with the graphics card / driver.
    Did anyone else have this? The driver supplied on the disc doesn't seem to be suitable.
    I think AMD are aware of an issue and have released a version omitting certain files that are contained on the disc supplied from Germany.

I don't work in I.T. but basically as far as I can make out there is integrated Intel graphics and a separate AMD Radeon graphics card. I have all the drivers installed but I'm not entirely sure I'm getting the full resolution.

Also the card crashes quite regularly, which is a pain but recovers itself.
    Hopefully there'll be a another software update shortly.

Haven't had any crashes on mine. I'm running windows 8.1 on it.
    As far as I remember the graphics drivers, both Intel & AMD, installed automatically and updated via windows update. I didn't have to use the disc for them.
    It has switchable graphics.
    It uses the Intel integrated graphics by default. You need to tell it what applications and programs you want to use the AMD graphics.
    Right click on the desktop and select 'AMD Switchable Graphics'.
    A console opens up where you can add programs to the AMD graphics list.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Reading the OP and he had it delivered to parcel motel first - why? I'm going to buy this laptop but just can't see the benefit of going through parcel motel. Is it cheaper or do they not ship to Ireland? I was able to get as far as confirming payment without being told my address wasn't allowed and it was only ~€15 for postage.

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Reading the OP and he had it delivered to parcel motel first - why? I'm going to buy this laptop but just can't see the benefit of going through parcel motel. Is it cheaper or do they not ship to Ireland? I was able to get as far as confirming payment without being told my address wasn't allowed and it was only ~€15 for postage.

I didn't use Parcel Motel, I got it delivered directly.
    I just posted the price when using Parcel Motel, as it works out a bit cheaper. I can't remember how much cheaper but i think around €10 - €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I added 4gb ram- this wouldn't deliver directly so used PM. €551 in total.

Thanks for the answers about shipping guys :)

One last question, what's the graphics card like for gaming with? I don't mind not running the latest games on highest quality, but does it still have a bit of "oomph" so I wouldn't have to run games on low everything?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thanks for the answers about shipping guys :)

One last question, what's the graphics card like for gaming with? I don't mind not running the latest games on highest quality, but does it still have a bit of "oomph" so I wouldn't have to run games on low everything?! :P

Not an expert but it should be fine for most games although maybe put in
    an extra 4gb of ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

sweetie wrote: »
    Not an expert but it should be fine for most games although maybe put in
    an extra 4gb of ram.

Was planning on doing this myself.

Anybody know will it be available for a while or is there limited supply/discount price at the moment?

• Advertisement

Im running 12GB of ram on it and it's flying!
    It's playing HD vids without any issues.
    I'm getting used to windows 8.1 too, and it's not the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrnobodyfan87

how heavy is this?

how heavy is this?

it's on the amazon webpage description.

how heavy is this?

Depends on which configuration you go with- but its at least 2.4kg, and can be up to 3.1kg.

It's not light or slim anyway!
    A tad on the heavy side but it's not the worst looking laptop in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

Just ordered one after the wireless card on my old laptop started acting up. Absolute bargain at those specs, Thank you OP :D Only complaint I would have is that it's an AMD graphics card as I'm severely biased towards Nvidia, but at that price I can live with it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I ordered it a week ago via Parcel Motel. Still waiting on it :(

Ordered my one the other day, didn't bother with the extra ram for the moment so straight to my door, no parcel motel.

People who already bought it; what's the keyboard like? Is it majorly different? for ~€30 I can get the UK keyboard, and I noticed on the official UK one the Return and backspace keys are bigger, and being a fussy person I think the smaller ones on it will annoy me!

Also, just noticed that it doesn't actually say in writing about an OS on that page; I assume it comes with Windows 8/8.1? Doesn't bother me too much as I have the licence key for Windows 7 and might just install it anyway!

Also, just noticed that it doesn't actually say in writing about an OS on that page; I assume it comes with Windows 8/8.1? Doesn't bother me too much as I have the licence key for Windows 7 and might just install it anyway!

It says DOS- aka, it doesn't have an operating system (unless you're happy with a command line OS- which some of us grew up with......)

• Advertisement

It says DOS- aka, it doesn't have an operating system (unless you're happy with a command line OS- which some of us grew up with......)

Ah right, so better dig out the Windows 7 installation disc so! Are the drivers
    easy enough to find :P

easy enough to find :P

Most- including a rudimentary graphics driver and a LAN driver- are on the Windows 7 install disk. The rest- are all on the Lenovo website.

Can any of you who have ordered it and received it post here how long it took to arrive? Intending getting it for college so need to know when to order by.

easy enough to find
    :P

It comes with a Win 7/Win 8 drivers DVD.

Back again! So my machine just arrived about 20 minutes ago and I'm trying to install windows 7 but am having a bit of difficulty...

When it turns on I see the lenovo screen but holding function keys doesn't take me to the boot menu or bios... just to freeDOS which I have no idea how to use and can't find instructions on how to get to the CD drive... anyone able to help me out?

UPDATE:

Nevermind, figured out I had to hold function and f-12, installing now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 KickButtowski

Got the laptop Saturday evening and it took a full day to get set up. Like Nimrod, it took me ages to figure out how to get into the BIOS. Hands down one of the best kept secrets in my life. Not a mention of it in the documentation, even through German!. GG Lenovo. I then ****ed up by installing linux mint on my HDD(/dev/sdb/) But being dumb and installing the bootloader on the flash drive I was installing the distro from(/dev/sda/) which also took ages for me to realise.

Pro tip: When setting it up with a linux distro, TAKE YOUR TIME.

I'd also like to point out that Linux Mint Debian with Cinnamon is absolutely beautiful. The keyboard; albeit in german is extremely simple to get used to with the IE/UK layout. I was surprised. I thought i'd have to order a UK keyboard for it. Linux Mint comes with working drivers out of the box for the Dedicated GPU and Hyperthreading support. Overall, the laptop is fluid, fast and powerful, and LMDE's compatibility, drivers and software just compliment that awesome hardware. Not to mention, Linux Mint's EXT4 filesystem and debian base means, it's robust, never slows down, doesn't need antivirus or defragmentation and is constantly updated which makes it a beautiful OS that's also very similar to windows 7 and it's brilliant for both end users and developers like myself. All in all, extremely happy with what I got, the time frame I got it in and not to mention that beautiful, beautiful Pricetag. Can't beat it. 10/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Bewerten

Would you advise against a student buying this? Do you think it's too heavy/bulky to be bringing in and out of college?

Bewerten wrote: »
    Would you advise against a student buying this? Do you think it's too heavy/bulky to be bringing in and out of college?

I got it for college. Its not as bulky as is made out online. I wouldn't call it slim but it's certainly not bulky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 KickButtowski

Bewerten wrote: »

IMO, not at all! This depends on your train of thought. I've noticed two. One: Mac users who think any device weighing more than 1KG is extremely heavy and bulky to 'carry' around. Now Two: Everyone else who just buys a laptop bag or equivalent to carry their laptop.

Also, you realise that this is a laptop. They come in sizes of 15"-17". Anything smaller is known as a notebook or a higher spec notebook is known as an ultrabook. The main thing that contributes to a laptops weight vs a notebooks weight is the lack of Optical drive in a notebook.

Now, the G510 weighs only 2.6Kgs. Not very heavy at all IMO. And keeping in mind this is my opinion. I'm of an athletic build so in my opinion it's not heavy for carrying. Others may find it 'heavy'.

I myself, am a 3rd year UL student. I have a Dell Laptop backpack that my G510 fits nicely into. It's not bad at all. I used to carry my 6 year old Dell Inspiron around college which weighed 2.9Kgs and never found it to be a problem, although it was preferable to get it off my back if I was tired at the end of the day.

The purpose of me buying this laptop is for programming, web designing and writing reports/essays for college. I bought it so I could have a portable, reliable and powerful machine with me to bring in and out of college that I could call my own without relying on the Lab computers for work. Which often was not available when labs were full or the computers crashed on me, causing me to lose important project/essay data on multiple occasions.

Bottom line, it boils down to what you need the laptop for. If you need a powerful laptop, like I do, I definitely recommend it. If you just need it for simple everyday tasks, get a notebook. You can find them around the same price range.

Bit of advice, if you do get it and find it heavy, power through. Your body will get stronger just by carrying it around and soon you'll get used to the weight. In a few weeks of carrying it around, you won't find it heavy anymore.

Sorry for the long post. I have an itch for detail xD c:

EDIT; Just a TL;DR for you, Bottom line, to address you're heavy/bulky worry.

Heavy: If you find it heavy, lift it, you'll get stronger and soon won't find it heavy.

Bulky: If you have a laptop bag and it fits into a laptop bag. It's not bulky. Comparing it to my old laptop, it's no bigger or bulkier than any other 15.6" laptop I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Got the laptop a week ago. First impressions were for the most part very positive. It's a normal sized laptop. Not massive not tiny but with a 15" it's to be expected.
    I upgraded the ram to 8gb, keyboard to a UK version and the hdd to a SDD. Performance feels absolutely great as expected.
    The laptop feels solid which is good though it feels a bit more entry level than I expected which could have been sorted with some very minor changes. Some very minor gripes:
    • the wireless card struggles at times to pick up router signal which my 7 year old dell has no problems with (whitelist for wifi cards doesn't help too)
    • the touchpad buttons aren't fantastic ( I use an external mouse)
    • I wasn't expecting the Dvd drive cover to be literally flapping about (a little bit of super glue sorted it out)
    • the power button not lighting up when pressed, a feature on my fairly old dell laptop, make it feel a bit more cheaply put together than it should be.
    All in all, they're more cosmetic issues than anything else which fade away when it performs the way it does. I'm very pleased with the laptop, I think it's great for what it does and the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

How is the display on this? And is there a backlit keyboard?

• Advertisement
Advertisement