Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

power rangers movie reboot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

NUTZZ wrote: »

I quite enjoyed that. I think the movie might be taken a bit more seriously by the general public after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Angsty teens, a sombre tone, glum cinematography.. Was there any lessons learned from the train wreck that was Fantastic Four?

The Power Rangers is an absurd idea, rather than chasing The Dark Knight Trilogy's crown, why not embrace the craziness ala Guardians of the Galaxy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Angsty teens, a sombre tone, glum cinematography.. Was there any lessons learned from the train wreck that was Fantastic Four?

The Power Rangers is an absurd idea, rather than chasing The Dark Knight Trilogy's crown, why not embrace the craziness ala Guardians of the Galaxy?

Why assume that they're the only two directions the movie can go? Tbh, there didn't really seem anything somber or glum in that to me. The pallet was dark sure but there seemed a lot of fun and wonder in that trailer to me, with a reasonable dose of 'grit'.

Also, Fantastic Four was a train wreck for far too many reasons to count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Why assume that they're the only two directions the movie can go? Tbh, there didn't really seem anything somber or glum in that to me. The pallet was dark sure but there seemed a lot of fun and wonder in that trailer to me, with a reasonable dose of 'grit'.

Also, Fantastic Four was a train wreck for far too many reasons to count!

As there's only this single teaser to go on, assumptions are all we have, my assumption is that they've taken a fun fantastical premise and attempted to ground it in reality by excising all levity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Power Rangers Breakfast Club?

Good trailer.
    ... my assumption is that they've taken a fun fantastical premise and attempted to ground it in reality by excising all levity.

Not a bad thing. The original was 100% cheddar and OTT acting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As there's only this single teaser to go on, assumptions are all we have, my assumption is that they've taken a fun fantastical premise and attempted to ground it in reality by excising all levity.

What I took from that teaser is that someone attached to the film's marketing team has seen Chronicle and figured that, as a lure, it's a good place to start. Which isn't any worse in principle than the ridiculous "WOOOO XTREEEEEEME SPORTS YO" nonsense that the 90s film relied on.

Close up of the new helmets posted today;

https://twitter.com/thepowerrangers/status/788796038941323264

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I can't wait for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Power Rangers were always a bit **** (note: I say that as someone who loved the series as a kid) but that trailer is an unholy amalgamation of everything terrible about modern day blockbusters. Even the goddamn suits look like they've come straight off a rendering farm, despite the fact there appears to have been actual physical costumes involved on occasion.

I hasten to add I know for a fact this film isn't for me, and will refrain from commenting thus forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll go.... with the kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As bad as this looks it it still looks watchable. As opposed to say... TMNT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr E wrote: »
    I'll go.... with the kids.

Me too.

Just need to find some kids....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I want to see this, even still, but it looks terrible. The acting in that trailer is horrendously bad.

• Advertisement

Is it out this week in Ireland?

cena wrote: »
    Is it out this week in Ireland?

Yep out Friday 24th!

IGN Review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Seems to be polarising amongst the critics.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Good or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good or bad?

I'm trying to figure out if that's a real post or not?

• Advertisement

I'm trying to figure out if that's a real post or not?

Its real

Good or bad?

Its real

Polarizing means it has divided critics opinions, some rate the movie positively while others don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Good or bad?
    Yes...polarisingly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

NUTZZ wrote: »

CQ_Cor_WIAABlUV.jpg

1993 i had a crush on the Pink ranger as a kid, 2017 pink ranger is still hot!

Ill go see this with zero expectations for nostalgia purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I can't believe I liked this at one point :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really liked it. I was expecting the utter slop that is typical of this genre but found myself very pleasantly surprised. As might be expected it sticks quite rigidly to the formula present in each episode of the show. However, it features a darker tone and is much more story-driven which made for a nice change.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I really liked it. I was expecting the utter slop that is typical of this genre but found myself very pleasantly surprised. As might be expected it sticks quite rigidly to the formula present in each episode of the show. However, it features a darker tone and is much more story-driven which made for a nice change.

Did you stay during the end credits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Did you stay during the end credits?

I did. There's a mid-credits scene where you see
    Tommy's name called out but he's not at his desk
    . There is no end credits scene.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I want to see this but for some stupid reason my local cinema put it into the smallest screen which is the most stuffy and uncomfortable and makes any film I see there unenjoyable. Clearly they don't have high hopes for it when they won't put it in any of the 6 other screens and instead put it in the screen where movies go on their last week.

I seen it today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

No contract disputes this time, so as long as he stays second in command to Jason and not become the leader I'll be weirdly satisfied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I want to see this but for some stupid reason my local cinema put it into the smallest screen which is the most stuffy and uncomfortable and makes any film I see there unenjoyable. Clearly they don't have high hopes for it when they won't put it in any of the 6 other screens and instead put it in the screen where movies go on their last week.

Mine is the same, I went anyway and loved it tbf. I dunno why they won't put it on a better screen, I understand it's hardly Avengers but I'd still be amazed if there wasn't enough to justify a better screen.

Beauty and the Beast is taking 2 screens then they have Life, Kong, Get Out and ChiPS taking priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Saw it this afternoon and had a Morphinominally good time...

Sure it was a bit contrived and hammy in parts, but I enjoyed every moment immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I really enjoyed it. I went in expecting a cheese fest, and I got it. It was just fun, fun, and more fun! The only negative I'd say it that it could have been maybe 15-20 mins shorter. Some unnecessary weight in the middle that could have been firmed up, but it's a minor gripe! Roll on the sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

going tomorrow and cant wait.

:D

been a bit of a bitch to find a time with a decent screen though like you guys have been saying. if im paying full whack for a cinema ticket i want to be in a screen bigger than my front room !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

chrislad wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. I went in expecting a cheese fest, and I got it. It was just fun, fun, and more fun! The only negative I'd say it that it could have been maybe 15-20 mins shorter. Some unnecessary weight in the middle that could have been firmed up, but it's a minor gripe! Roll on the sequel!

seen it yesterday and i agree with you about the fluff but i think the time could
    have been better severed
    extending the fight scene at the end

one thing that annoyed me was
    i was waiting for zordan to tell them about the megazord or sometime and to see the actual join i was disappointed with how they handled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

dunworth1 wrote: »
    one thing that annoyed me was
    i was waiting for zordan to tell them about the megazord or sometime and to see the actual join i was disappointed with how they handled it.
    I could see Rita's eyes just saying 'Oh, this is total bull****!' at that point. While it could have been better, the initial roll out with the theme song made up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just back from this now.

i thought it was brilliant !

seriously far FAR better then it has any right to be and TBH if anything as a transformers fan im even MORE pissed at Micheal Bay for fooking up that property.

drama, character, ACTUAL emotional development ? who expected that from this. the bit around the campfire was actually weep worthy !

i was abit worried going in that bank's rita would be a bit of a "bullseye from daredevil" after hearing complaints about her on youtube reviews but she was grand IMO. she's just nuts which i can live with, hell her intro to the modern age had horror themes going on at times so i commend them for trying that.

a very surprising 8/ 10 from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Saw it tonight and absolutely loved it !

So much more adulty than I expected it to be and the cast were great I want to see more of them

And Rita was great creepy as hell in places ...some of her scenes wouldn't have looked out of place in the ring

Bring on LORD Z in the sequel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This was terrible. It has that horrible, downbeat, suicidal tone, like the Fantastic Four reboot. They don't even appear as the Rangers for over 75% of the film. The final CGI battle comes, they play rap music or something, more fake-looking CGI, and the black autistic kid says, "Come at me, bro!". Ugh. I was begging for it to end for the last 20 minutes.

Then they tease Tommy The Green Ranger, for a sequel that won't be made, (unless the toy sales are incredibly good), because it flopped at the box office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

It seems to be a bit polarising. While I wasn't mad about some of the acting, the cast as a whole really developed that family vibe well. I understand the F4 comparison but that cast could only dream of having the chemistry of the cast here.

The final 30 mins or so was fun in a ludicrous kind of way. To go from developing a somewhat serious retelling of the Rangers to blasting out the theme song in its campy glory was a gut punch tonally I started laughing. I wasn't even annoyed.

A shame that there probably won't be a sequel. When people are still going to the sinking ship that is the Carribean films yet ignore a bold effort like this, you have to wonder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally got to see this after waiting a while. I must say I did enjoy it. I thought the cast were great, and I very much liked the darker tone which I think worked really well. I agree with some of the criticism I've seen though that the tone was inconsistent, in places it was very dark and in others it was upbeat and cheesy, overall I think it would've worked better with the emphasis more on the darker tone. Overall I thought it was very good, a very clever re-imagining of the original movie and I think it's a shame its performed poorly in the box office.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Saw this last night, better than expected but still holds some nostalgia for me, didnt think the Zords were all that though, they seemed a bit ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ye the zords were awful. No sense of scale, awe or wonder about them, and the mystical feel they had from the show was also gone. It felt as if they were thrown in for the sake of it as an afterthought. Also, the trex should have been similar in size and scale to Goldar, the only zord of the original 5 that can go toe to toe with the monsters by itself

The rest of the film was solid enough

• Advertisement

New Power Rangers Movie Is Officially Happening at Hasbro
    Is Power Rangers 2 happening or not? We're definitely getting a new movie, but whether or not it's a direct sequel is a little foggy at this point. A new Power Rangers movie is officially in development from Hasbro. The toy company recently purchased Power Rangers, as well as several other properties, in a massive $520 million deal. That has put the future of the franchise in new hands and Hasbro isn't wasting too much time getting the ball rolling. Now, thanks to a new report, it's been confirmed that they are in the early stages of developing what is described as a follow-up to 2017's Power Rangers.

The news comes from Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner, who was providing a general update on how the company is handling Power Rangers as the transition gets going. Goldner revealed that there will be a "transitional" period starting in 2019 where they will release "new entertainment content and licensed products." He also revealed that Power Rangers will generate a profit similar to that of their other franchise brands, but that this one has a "significant opportunity for growth given where the brand had been most recently."

Part of that growth will come in the form of another big screen movie, as it is being reported that "Hasbro will work with a film studio to develop a new Power Rangers movie as a follow-up to the 2017 release." That wording is quite specific, but also frustratingly vague. Hasbro has a major deal with Paramount Pictures, which now has Allspark Pictures developing movies using the toy company's catalog of merchandise. That now includes Power Rangers. The previous Power Rangers movie was made with Lionsgate. While it's said that this is a follow-up it doesn't explicitly say much else, leaving it up to speculation for now as to what form that could take. It could very well be a soft reboot of some kind. At this point, it's difficult to say.

The fact of the matter is that Hasbro would be building off of something that wasn't terribly successful, if they actually wanted to make Power Rangers 2. The movie grossed just $144 million, working from a $100 million budget. It also sits at a measly 45 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, meaning that it wasn't some critical darling that was tragically ignored by the moviegoing masses. Looking at the numbers at least, a reboot of some kind might make more sense. The entire Power Rangers TV series is predicated on the idea of constant soft reboots that introduce entirely new casts that exist in the same universe. Hasbro could do something similar on the movie side of things.

Last year's Power Rangers movie absolutely set up a sequel and teased the arrival of the Green Ranger in a movie that didn't get going in the wake of the box office results. Hasbro is now in control and they're going to want to capitalize on their investment. Whatever form that ultimately takes, fans can rest easy knowing that there is more mighty morphin action on the way. We'll be sure to keep you up to date as more details on the project are made available.

I liked the first one. So would watch a second. Maybe the next one will have them hunting crystals of the Zeo variety.

And i was a wee bit disappointed the CEO isn't called Brian Goldar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

I'd watch it.

I even quite enjoyed the first one but I found the tone quite inconsistent throughout. At times, they went for the old campy 90s Power Rangers style and in other places they went for the dark gritty reboot feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Go, go, Power Rangers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement