Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nighttime nappies for toddler?

Options
  • 08-05-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Can anyone recommend some good night time nappies for our 2.5 year old boy? I've tried all the pampers in all sizes (5 and 6), aldi,lidl, supervalu, pullups, normal nappies but he still wakes up soaked early in the morning, every morning. He doesn't get tons to drink at night but still seems to wee a lot. Any ideas? Starting potty training soon, but need something for now as I'm sick of all the extra laundry...

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We use the Boots ones in the green bag with no issues , they never leak .
    We found in the past that if nappies were the wrong size that they leaked .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Thanks moonbeam! I tried the different sizes (haven't weighed him in ages but guess he's around 15kg or so), going a size up etc, but still all the nappies seem to leak at night, and they'd be full to the max. It's just horrible for him (and for us, as once he's awake due to being wet plus nappy change, he's awake for good. Lots of 5 am starts do not make happy parents)...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Have you tried putting 2 nappies on him?
    My daughter went through a phase of peeing for Ireland at nighttime recently and would wake up wet, my mother recommended putting 2 nappies on and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I find the aldi ones great for night time, use pampers active fit for day and aldi for night and no issues so far. though my fella is only 9 months

I'll try the two nappies and hope he plays ball, can see it getting very bulky and awkward though. The aldi nappies are great, used them up to n now with no issue, but all of a sudden they started to leak...so i presume it's not the fit but the volume of wee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What time does he go to bed at? If it's around 8, what about going in at about 1am and changing him in his bed while hes still asleep so he has a fresh one for the morning?

Cienciano - great idea in theory, but i do not have a death wish at the moment ;-p going in after he's gone to bed is a huge nono, he'll defo wake up and that's the end of it then. You can make things of noise, no bother but go near him and that's it...

I'll try the two nappies and see if that works. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Would 2 nappies not be awful bulky? Can you let us know how you get on galah. My 1.5yr old regularly leaks, i've tried Size 4, 4+, 5 & 6 Pampers but haven't tried any other brands yet, Pampers always were fine with my older child. This guy loves his water though, constantly has a cup in his hand, so i'm trying to reduce it after 6pm as it can't be helping. He has 30mls of milk in a bottle as part of his bedtime routine and no night time drinks after that.

By the way potty training may not necessarily solve your problem, my 4yo trained during the day with ease 1.5yrs ago but he still wears a pull-up at night, and the pull-ups leak sometimes too, between them i feel like i'm constantly changing bed/cot sheets :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

2 nappies are bulkier obviously, but my daughter never objected to it when I put 2 on her. I use the Spanish equivalent of Pampers Baby Dry.....most of the time I don't need to put 2 on, but sometimes she goes through phases of peeing more at night and then it's needed. She's nearly 2 and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

We have been using two nappies at night on our 20 month old for a few months now.
    Works fine and isn't too bulky. By morning time the two nappies are well trampled down so they are not bulky at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Use the waterproof outer nappy thing that are used for washable nappies, or the reusable swim nappies. Won't make it as bulky as two nappies.

I'd say you could get one in the likes of Mothercare. They have 5 packs in Tescos but it's nearly 40 euros and it's 5 covers and the 5 washable inserts which you don't need!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I know you said you've tried Pampers but I find the Pampers (6) with the 'double dry layer' really good. Our fell is 2.5 as well and the Pampers keep him dry 95% of the time during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Could you try putting an extra liner in the disposable nappy? You know the liners that go in the reusable nappies? I've heard of this working before...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ml123

We used to have this problem too until we started using Pampers Active Fit at night time (use any other brand during the day). We have to make sure that the sticky part is right up at the top of the nappy so that the nappy can't fold over when the sticky part if it(when!!) does get wet. We very rarely have a wet vest and pjs these days (here's hoping that I haven't jinxed myself in saying that!)

Right, here a report from the test lab for the past 2 nights ;-p

Aldi size 5 + pampers babydry size 6 = no leaks
    Supervalue size 6 + aldi size 6 = leaks

(The randomness of sizes is due to picking whatever nappy is handy at the time...)

Tonight our model is wearing pampers actifit, let's see if that works. I'll keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks galah, my 18mth old has actually had 2 dry nights with Pampers Baby Dry Size 5 and by hiding his sippy cup after 6o'c.

My 4yo has 4 pyjama bottoms and 4 sets of bet sheets hanging on the washing line this morning though - he's wearing UnderJams 4-8yrs and he gets no drinks after 6pm. At my wits end after 4 nights in a row resulting in long cranky days cos he's awake early as a result :(

So last night the active fit worked a treat, child was dry and slept until 7 am (wohooo!). Let's see if it stays that way, I'll keep ye posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Would you try a smaller nappy, or a smaller one plus a bigger one failing that? I know that sounds nuts, but my 2.5 year old wore Pampers 4+ at night for the last year before he stopped wearing them. Because they were snug, nothing escaped, and he'd pee for Ireland! Brings the sippy cup of water to bed and all, and it all stayed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Would you try a smaller nappy, or a smaller one plus a bigger one failing that? I know that sounds nuts, but my 2.5 year old wore Pampers 4+ at night for the last year before he stopped wearing them. Because they were snug, nothing escaped, and he'd pee for Ireland! Brings the sippy cup of water to bed and all, and it all stayed in.

Advertisement