Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can I do with my smashed camera and lens? (Pics)

• 08-05-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭

Was out taking some pics today and got talking to some chap. I stepped away from the camera (on a tripod) to talk to him and heard a smash behind me. A huge gust of wind took it down. It landed on a raised step of concrete.

Lens is (was) a 24-70mm 2.8 and the camera a D700.

The lens snapped at the mount, the mount was stuck in the camera and it took a lot of work to pry it out. I crudely put it back together but the ribbon cable to the focus motor ripped, the aperture is stuck open and the zoom ring is very stiff. The glass seems to be perfect though, not that that matters!

The camera faired a bit better, though the entire back panel is hanging off and as far as I can tell all the buttons work except for the playback button.

I have a feeling it'd be cheaper to buy a new lens than get it repaired, if it even can be repaired.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear of your bad luck..

Straight to the Hamster Clinic is where you need to go.

Looking from here it looks like you'll need a new lens mount and ribbon and not much else hopefully.
    The fact that the glass seems perfect is great news as that's more than half the price of the lens.

The camera looks fairly well busted up but at least that back panel is a separate piece that can be replaced.

I've used both ZeroHamster and the Nikon Repair centre and found both to be very good at what they do.
    If ZeroHamster can get the parts he'll probably be a little bit cheaper but either way he'll advise you on whether or not it's worth getting done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Get onto the nikon service centre and price repairs.

Also, ouch :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Thanks lads. I gave the nikon service centre a ring this morning, but they couldn't give me any idea about the repair cost unless I post it to them. I don't know if it'll be worth my while. I think I'll look into getting insurance from now on! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Thanks lads. I gave the nikon service centre a ring this morning, but they couldn't give me any idea about the repair cost unless I post it to them.

yeah they're kinda annoying like that. I wanted to get my nikon scanner serviced, standard CLA, and they wouldn't even give me a vague idea of what it would cost, even a range of values, until I posted the scanner to them. PITA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

At least the rear element from the lens stayed on the body so you won't get dust on the sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭intolerant

I think 'twowheelsonly' is spot on here. All I can add is that I cringed like the first time I watched the Office when I saw the images. Two beautiful pieces of kit! That's really bad luck mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Very similar thing happened to me. My 5D Mark2 and 24-70 also fell on the ground. The 5d fared up very well .Just scratches. The 24-70, well that s a different story. The mount ripped off upon impact.

I brought it to Eoghan (zerohamster) and he's working on it at the moment but so far so good. About a 200 euro repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I had a week old 6D and a 50mm F1.4 go over not so long ago. the camera was okay but the lens was knackered. Eoghan (zerohamster) sorted it for me, 150 and its working perfect again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Another recommendation for zerohamster, glued mine back together to save me having to buy a new part. Still working 2years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Something similar happened to my 24-70 in 2012.

Sent it off to Nikon Repair centre and it was deemed 'beyond repair' but they offered a brand new lens at a concession price of €720 plus the old damaged lens which I availed of

• Advertisement
Advertisement