Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner coastal/sweep rowing tips

• 08-05-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all
    started rowing lately and really liking it. I'm a vet rower just :)
    On a river at moment and haven't gotten out on sea yet but is feathering really important at sea. I tried it for a while the other night and found it very difficult and hard on the wrist turning the big oars and it caused a good few missed/messed up strokes.

Is it really a big difference over 800-1000m etc in the typical coastal race ?
    Whats the main advantage of it.... is it to stop waves clipping the oars or strong wind pressure etc ?

any advise or good links to info on general beginner rowing appreciated.
    There is not much out there for fixed seat coastal rowing ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Huge following for seine boat (and smaller) racing in South Kerry. Sneem, Templenoe, Castlecove, Cahirciveen, etc., big regattas every summer.
    Feathering is nice but a crab rather spoils the effect, particularly if you are rowing stroke. Staying in front is what counts, forget style unless you have an admiral on board (or the YC Commodore).
    I no longer row, not that I regard it as beneath me, I sail, I use an engine on my tender or am rowed.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

thanks pedro
    yea it seems like i will be rowing stroke in the boat so consistency is the key i guess. Definately a crab or two would surely waste all the efforts feathering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The blades of 4s and 8s on a river are much larger than the blades of a currach, which are almost non existent. A seine boat is somewhere in between. The reason is waves.

Advertisement