Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Job Offer and visa problem

Options
  • 08-05-2014 11:03pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭

I am just wondering if anyone can help me I decided to apply for the working holiday visa I missed out on the first round so had decided to apply for the second round but before the second round went on sale I managed to get a job offer from a Canadian employer.

They wanted me to first apply for a visa through their Provence and if that didn't work then they wanted me to apply through the young professionals.

When I got the job offer I explained to the person that if for some reason things didn't work and I didn't get the position they were offering my only other way of entering Canada this year was through the working holiday visa which would be going sale within a week at the time I was taking to them so that if I missed out on this and the employment offer fell through that was my chance of going to Canada gone this year.

They assured me everything would be fine so I never bothered applying for the 2nd round of worker visas.

I started two weeks ago applying through the Provence for my visa but I received phone from my employer this week stating that they have to suspend all job offers because in the last month things haven't been going well in the company and they don't know when if even at all they will be able to offer the people like me they promised positions their actual jobs so this has really fu**ed me up as going to Canada has basically been the only thing keeping me going these last few months.

So I wanted to ask is their any action I can take against the company or anything in light of what they have done as regardless of their current situation this has really messed thing up for me because I was suppose to be leaving in a month so i have already left my current job I have here in Ireland and sold off most of my possessions like my car etc I can't even apply for another visa until April or March of 2015 I have a copy of a contract I signed with and a job offer letter they emailed me.

So if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it because I couldn't believe how fortunate I was to get a job offer I knew it was too good to be true and I was right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Please can anyone help me or even advise me on where I can go to get advice on my situation. Please any help at all would be great as I am clueless of what to do now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you have a written job offer, could you apply for the Young Professionals visa? I don't think you're tied to that job once you get the visa then, but I could be wrong.

The upshot is that you should have applied for a WHV anyway, but I doubt there's anything you can do regarding the company. Job offers fall through all the time. Perhaps try asking in the Work and Jobs forum though.

As far as I know the IEC will contact the company directly when applying through the young professionals and the IEC also said at the last jobs expo that if you get a young professionals visa and lose your job for whatever reason you have to return home even if you get an offer of another job you have to start the whole application process again.

I know in hindsight I should have applied for the WHV but as I was saying the company assured me I would have a job and didn't need to + applying through the provence I was going to was suppose to be a quicker route to getting permanent residency and if I applied for the WHV I wouldn't be able to apply through the Provence. The company owners I did my interview with seemed like really nice people so like a fool I trusted them.

I know offers fall through all the time but I just think the fact that I have a written contract with them and a job offer letter they need to assume some responsibility on their end and can't simply just tell me less than 2 months before I was going to up root my life and move half way across the world "sorry we don't have the work anymore" and just expect me to accept it and move on. Because it might sound exaggerated but I have basically turned my life upside down to accept this job.

I only got the job offer letter 3weeks ago today then 2 and a half weeks later they are saying they have no work. Anyway i'm just ranting because as I am sure you can understand I am extremely upset about this.

Thanks for the reply I will try work and jobs forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

I'd chance applying with the signed contract. Worst that can happen is you get knocked back. You'll have your fee returned. Just say they pulled the offer after you applied if they ask why you tried to apply with a busted offer.

I just went ahead and applied for the waiting list for the WHV last night probably won't do me much good be you never know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement