Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs V Villa last game of the season!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

The Europa league is nothing but a cancer a false hope a joke of a competition.

If we want to get CL the Europa is the most obvious route. No guarantees of course but way more chance of get in that way than via top 4. City and chelsea nailed on and manu will also be in the top 4 shake up next season. That being the case can anyone see Spurs finishing ahead of either the goons or Liverpool to get the last spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

yiddo59 wrote: »
    That being the case can anyone see Spurs finishing ahead of either the goons or Liverpool to get the last spot?

Why not? Will depend on the quality of manager we get, Everton gained 9 points on last season, Liverpool a whopping 23 points, is it that inconceivable that we can improve by 10 points and one of the teams above us has a serious blip?

Liverpool will have pressure and expectancy, likewise Utd with Van Gaal, Chelsea under Mourhino this season have shown some lapses and Arsenal will be under as much pressure as ever.
    Its never going to be easy but its a bit early to be writing us off just yet. I was listening to the radio on the last day of the season last year and a Liverpool fan got ripped apart for suggesting they had a chance of competing for the title this year, the host was saying surely you must look at getting Europa league of possibly 4th before considering a title challenge! With 4 games to go they had the title in their grasp, a lot can happen over a season.

Does anyone not think we have the potential to add 4/5 extra wins next season, that could be 84 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Liverpool went from consecutive 7th place finishes to losing out on the PL on the final day.

If Liverpool had Europa League football this season they would have been scrapping for 4th spot not the league title. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand what flying to Ukraine etc can do to a squad of players.

My crystal ball tells me that Liverpool are going to seriously struggle to maintain a top 3 spot next season with all the added games.

6 of our league defeats came directly after EL games this season.

It's a pointless waste of time for the club and is not to be taken seriously as we will not win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Why not? Will depend on the quality of manager we get, Everton gained 9 points on last season, Liverpool a whopping 23 points, is it that inconceivable that we can improve by 10 points and one of the teams above us has a serious blip?

Liverpool will have pressure and expectancy, likewise Utd with Van Gaal, Chelsea under Mourhino this season have shown some lapses and Arsenal will be under as much pressure as ever.
    Its never going to be easy but its a bit early to be writing us off just yet. I was listening to the radio on the last day of the season last year and a Liverpool fan got ripped apart for suggesting they had a chance of competing for the title this year, the host was saying surely you must look at getting Europa league of possibly 4th before considering a title challenge! With 4 games to go they had the title in their grasp, a lot can happen over a season.

Does anyone not think we have the potential to add 4/5 extra wins next season, that could be 84 points!

Love your optimism but not a snowballs chance of top 4 no matter who the new gaffer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

irishmover wrote: »
    Liverpool went from consecutive 7th place finishes to losing out on the PL on the final day.

If Liverpool had Europa League football this season they would have been scrapping for 4th spot not the league title. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand what flying to Ukraine etc can do to a squad of players.

My crystal ball tells me that Liverpool are going to seriously struggle to maintain a top 3 spot next season with all the added games.

6 of our league defeats came directly after EL games this season.

It's a pointless waste of time for the club and is not to be taken seriously as we will not win it.

Our first game next season is a third round qualifier for the Europa league. When is it?
    JULY 31st!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

gar wrote: »
    I would say give the Europa League a go but be smart about it.
    Group games:
    Send the squad & young players to the arctic and west Asia games.
    Home group games use some of the 1st team.

Knockout:
    More of a mix of 1st team and squad players but limit travel and keep weekend fixtures in mind.

It is an easier method of getting Champions League football.
    If we get knocked out early I would not mind. Its an opportunity for fringe players to get matches, do well we progress.

Totally agree. We have such a big squad, we could easily have made 11 changes between Europa League games and Premiership games. A great way to keep all the squad fresh and competitive and to blood some youngsters.

Then if we reach the quarter finals we could think about playing some first teamers, while still making 6 or 7 changes for the following Premiership game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Ormus wrote: »
    Totally agree. We have such a big squad, we could easily have made 11 changes between Europa League games and Premiership games. A great way to keep all the squad fresh and competitive and to blood some youngsters.

Then if we reach the quarter finals we could think about playing some first teamers, while still making 6 or 7 changes for the following Premiership game.

I agree this is the policy we should take to the EL, rather than play any first teamers. However, I don't think there would be the remotest chance of making the QFs with the 2nd team. The system of allowing CL teams back into the EL ensures this. There is no way the Spurs 2nd or 3rd XI can compete against the likes of Lyon, Inter or Benfica.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I agree this is the policy we should take to the EL, rather than play any first teamers. However, I don't think there would be the remotest chance of making the QFs with the 2nd team. The system of allowing CL teams back into the EL ensures this. There is no way the Spurs 2nd or 3rd XI can compete against the likes of Lyon, Inter or Benfica.

I agree it's a strategy that makes it unlikely we'd make it that far, but so be it.

The likes of Viktoria Plzen, Ludogorets Razgrad and Anzhi Makachkala made the last 32 this season.

Off the top of my head I'd guess Spurs have about 20 internationals in our squad, so it wouldn't be any shock if we were to beat one of those teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Our first game next season is a third round qualifier for the Europa league. When is it?
    JULY 31st!!!!!!!!

I think this depends on the result of the FA Cup Final.

If Arsenal win we don't have to qualify for Europa, because Hull will have to.

If Hull win, the will go straight in to the Europa and we will have to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

I think this depends on the result of the FA Cup Final.

If Arsenal win we don't have to qualify for Europa, because Hull will have to.

If Hull win, the will go straight in to the Europa and we will have to qualify.

my mistake.

Does that mean we should cheer on Arsenal in the FA cup final next week?

nah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Its grand saying we could play our squad players in the europa sh1te but I doubt that will be the case. Most managers are worried about their CV's and want to show how great they are in europe.
    If Spurs had ensured (like United) no europa league for next season then our chances of finishing in the top four would have increased greatly.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Its grand saying we could play our squad players in the europa sh1te but I doubt that will be the case. Most managers are worried about their CV's and want to show how great they are in europe.
    If Spurs had ensured (like United) no europa league for next season then our chances of finishing in the top four would have increased greatly.

That's true, managers like to get wins under their belt cos it makes them look good.

They need to be told on taking the job that they're gonna be judged on league position and Champions League qualification.

Better still, lets get 2 managers, one for Europa and one for the league.

Advertisement