Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 1 – May 9th, Belfast (TTT) 21km, **Warning: Unmasked Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭greenrocket

disaster, poor dan really feel for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The lead rider on the Garmin team should get a right bollocking for leading the team over a manhole cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

ROK ON wrote: »
    We need to stop doing grand Tour departs in Ireland.
    Do not have a good track record.

For a top 10 contender to be taken down by a manhole cover is not exactly good publicity.

It's technically part of great Britain so not our problem ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

mahoo wrote: »
    my excitement for the Giro being Ireland just took a massive slap in the gob. gutted for Dan. whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?! *fist shake*

Yeah MASSIVELY. I'm hopeful the feeling will go away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Great start for bmc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Feck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's technically part of great Britain so not our problem ðŸ˜႒

Actually, it's technically part of the UK, not GB (the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)

/pedant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

No will to watch anymore today after that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sticky Bottle tweeting a broken collar bone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The lead rider on the Garmin team should get a right bollocking for leading the team over a manhole cover!

Just thinking exactly that. I know you cant swerve around every little thing but what the fúck was the lead guy thinking riding that line????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Depends how bad the possible collarbone break/fracture is. I would imagine the Vuelta will be in the frame now.

He really deserves some luck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

godtabh wrote: »
    Sticky Bottle tweeting a broken collar bone
    BBC coverage also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Just thinking exactly that. I know you cant swerve around every little thing but what the fúck was the lead guy thinking riding that line????

Agree, it looked like a pretty straight stretch of road! Plenty of time to see it and move over! So frustrating ... Geez even us amateurs don't cycle over manhole covers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

From Nico's Twitter :(
    Crap for @DanMartin86 !!! Get well cousin.. So sorry about that unlucky strike you have been going through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Was thinking that myself. Poor DM. Hopefully he can be ready for the Vuelta.

Neil is not happy with the course

neil martin ‏@neilmartin99 4m
    aside as to what happened to Garmin...I'm sorry Belfast but that has to be the most dangerous TT course I've ever seen. #ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Especially when they would have already ridden the course earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Im really not. Was convinced there was gonna be a crash and unfortunately it was Dan that came off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

Will he be back in time for the Tour do you think? Or will he be better going for the Vuelta?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Probably depend on how serious it is i.e. does he need a plate in it.

• Advertisement

It might not be as bad as it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Carpenter wrote: »
    Neil is not happy with the course

neil martin ‏@neilmartin99 4m
    aside as to what happened to Garmin...I'm sorry Belfast but that has to be the most dangerous TT course I've ever seen. #ludicrous

He has a point, the crowd were very well behaved, but you shouldn't have mountain top crowd structure at a 50kph TTT, the roads weren't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The man is ****ing cursed. Devastated for him :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Inquitus wrote: »
    He has a point, the crowd were very well behaved, but you shouldn't have mountain top crowd structure at a 50kph TTT, the roads weren't great either.

City TTT are notorious ...remember Vuelta in 2012...loads of crashed in Pamplona...the truth is the course was tricky but that is why its the Giro ...hard course

Only one team crashed as far as I know...and it is part of the skill to be able to ride in rain , on slippy road & over variable terrain

I am gutted for Dan Martin but this is not only the 'fault' of the course

Hopeful he will bounce back and have a fantastic end of season...wining Lombardy and few other races

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

on a city circuit can they not mark the manhole covers? surely a big circle of paint will give some warning especially like tonight when it was wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pab01

Gutted for Dan but was sheer luck that people are discussing more incidents. Watched race at corner of ormeau bridge and marshalls was next to useless. If it wasn't for crowd shouting at people to get off the road there would have been collisions between riders and idiots crossing road. Marshall stood doing nothing and in one case wandered on footpath behind crowd. They weren't even watching road to see if teams coming. Was absolute joke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wow, where to start with today...Easily my favourite day ever since I started following pro racing. Pictures to follow. Fantastic day for Nico, utter nightmare for cousin Dan.

Watching the teams practice this morning and walking around the paddock this afternoon was terrific. Watched BBC coverage on the big screen in the fan park, with the teams cycling right past where I was standing. Massive thanks to the 3 fans from Dublin I was chatting to if you're reading, very knowledgeable and terrific people to talk to.

Hope I have some more decent photos to show ye. Will look after a bit dinner to warm up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

pab01 wrote: »
    Gutted for Dan but was sheer luck that people are discussing more incidents. Watched race at corner of ormeau bridge and marshalls was next to useless. If it wasn't for crowd shouting at people to get off the road there would have been collisions between riders and idiots crossing road. Marshall stood doing nothing and in one case wandered on footpath behind crowd. They weren't even watching road to see if teams coming. Was absolute joke.

They were volunteers doing the best they were able - you could see marshalls moving the crowd back and as soon as they turned people were back out again - no wonder they gave up. Fair play to all the volunteers for giving up their time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

neris wrote: »
    on a city circuit can they not mark the manhole covers? surely a big circle of paint will give some warning especially like tonight when it was wet.

so dublin city centre would be just painted yellow for the weekend :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

They were volunteers doing the best they were able - you could see marshalls moving the crowd back and as soon as they turned people were back out again - no wonder they gave up. Fair play to all the volunteers for giving up their time

People who have never marshalled an event of any size just don't get that marshals are effectively powerless, I have marshalled rallies, road races and worked in our countries two biggest stadia and the abuse you get off people for thinking of their safety and making sure an event goes off with out a hitch just isn't worth it for the love of the sport most of the time

Advertisement