Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking Water Quality in Cork City

Options
  • 09-05-2014 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Drinking 1-3L of water from the tap every day. I was fine up until a month ago but feeling unwell recently. Is tap water safe in cork to drink?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

popsmar wrote: »
    Drinking 3-4L of water from the tap every day. I was fine up until a month ago but feeling unwell recently. Is tap water safe in cork to drink?

I'd suggest you're drinking too much water. The NHS – along with leading doctors and nutritionists – advises the public to drink about 1.2 litres (or two-and-a-half pints) of water per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

evilivor wrote: »
    I'd suggest you're drinking too much water. The NHS – along with leading doctors and nutritionists – advises the public to drink about 1.2 litres (or two-and-a-half pints) of water per day.

Not sure if this meant seriously or not, but it is recommended to at least drink 1.5 up to 2 L.

And I wouldn't trust the tab water tbh, too many chemicals in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 AngusB

celica00 wrote: »
    Not sure if this meant seriously or not, but it is recommended to at least drink 1.5 up to 2 L.

Water is, of course, completely chemically composed. Can you tell us what chemicals are in water (and Cork water) that means you don't trust water?

If you don't trust water, where do you source the water you drink and trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The amount has been downgraded in recent times - as people get water from other sources as well. Over hydration is as dangerous, if not more. 3 to 4 L per day is way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The amount has been downgraded in recent times - as people get water from other sources as well. Over hydration is as dangerous, if not more. 3 to 4 L per day is way too much.
    They also say 9 pints of cider on a friday night is a bad thing but it does me no harm. Heartburn and hangovers never killed anyone.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    They also say 9 pints of cider on a friday night is a bad thing but it does me no harm. Heartburn and hangovers never killed anyone.

Are you sure? A pint of Bulmers Cider in the UK has 5 teaspoons (20.5g) of added sugar. The WHO recommends a maximum daily intake of 6 spoons of sugar (all sugars and not just added sugars) as it's believed excess sugar in our diet is leading to an obesity epidemic and to an increased risk of diabetes.

If you drink 9 pints of cider on a single day, that, alone, is 45 spoons of sugar you are directly ingesting. That's 184.5g of sugar from 9 pints of cider, (which is so much sugar it probably would not all fit into a normal household sugar bowl). This does not take into account other sugars you may ingest from fruit, bread, candy bars etc etc.

Have you had a diabetes test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

AngusB wrote: »
    Are you sure? A pint of Bulmers Cider in the UK has 5 teaspoons (20.5g) of added sugar. The WHO recommends a maximum daily intake of 6 spoons of sugar (all sugars and not just added sugars) as it's believed excess sugar in our diet is leading to an obesity epidemic and to an increased risk of diabetes.

If you drink 9 pints of cider on a single day, that, alone, is 45 spoons of sugar you are directly ingesting. That's 184.5g of sugar from 9 pints of cider, (which is so much sugar it probably would not all fit into a normal household sugar bowl). This does not take into account other sugars you may ingest from fruit, bread, candy bars etc etc.

Have you had a diabetes test?
    I also take 2 sugars in my cup of tea.
    I should be ok tho, i only drink diet coke or pepsi max in my vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Steady on! 3-4 L of water per day is not going to over hydrate you.

Steady on! 3-4 L of water per day is not going to over hydrate you.

How do you know? 3-4 l is a lot of water and is nearly a gallon of water and it's ridiculous to suggest drinking a gallon of water a day is normal, or desirable.

Many deaths have been reported of water intoxication. It's known as hyponatremia, and is when there is so much water in the body that it dilutes vital minerals (such as sodium) down to dangerous levels.

The European Food Safety Authority recommends that women should drink about 1.6 litres of fluid and men should drink about 2.0 litres of fluid per day. That's about eight 200ml glasses for a woman and 10 200ml glasses for a man. All drinks count, including hot drinks such as tea and coffee.

The amount a person needs to drink to avoid getting dehydrated will vary depending on a range of factors, including their size, the temperature and how active they are. So, for example, if you're exercising hard in hot weather you'll need to drink more.

people who work out and do serious training MUST drink up to 3-4 liter, so it depends on the lifestyle too.

But normally it should be around 2L

I personally buy bottled water (think it's from France)

• Advertisement

people who work out and do serious training MUST drink up to 3-4 liter, so it depends on the lifestyle too.

But normally it should be around 2L

If you are drinking 3-4 l of bottled French water per day, the carbon footprint of getting water from France, in bottles, to you must be quite something!

To say nothing of the annual cost. Perrier, a French water, costs £0.99 (+-€1.25) per l. If you drink 3 l per day, the cost would be €3.75 per day, €26.25 per week, or €1365 per annum.

More importantly you claim you dont drink tap water due to some chemicals in your tap water. What chemicals are in the tap water which you mention, which are not in your bottled water?

I didnt say I drink 3-4L a day, in fact I didnt say at all how much I drink of what ;)

Use google for the chemicals, plenty of articles about it.

Use google for the chemicals, plenty of articles about it.

It’s curious you make claims about chemicals in water, and when asked for evidence you don’t produce any and just try to obscure the point by telling others to ask google what chemicals you claim are in the tap water.

It’s even more curious that you claim there are “chemicals” which prevent you from drinking the tap water (which you seem unable to name) and yet, the water you do choose to drink, you “think” is from France, which suggests you have no idea what water you are drinking or where it even comes from, or what’s in it.

I've shared my opinion but I'm not up for a discussion which was already covered a good few times on boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Op, I know that the water as supplied in Cork is tested And if there was something wrong with it quite a lot of people would be ill. I reckon its OK and I'm drinking it myself. I'd be consulting with the medical pro's if your illness lasts longer than 72hours as I'm allowing time for food poisoning or a dodgy curry to leave your system.

As for the poster that says that there are too many chemicals in it, you do know that if you drank enough pure water you would become very ill. That's because water is a great solvent any pure water would wash out a lot of the vital minerals from the body. Humans get a lot of the vital minerals and salts from drinking water. Also when you taste water you don't taste water you are tasting the dissolved minerals and salts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Don't forget the flouride. We'll all die from the flouride. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It depends on how hot it is and how sedentary a lifestyle you live. 4 litres is far too much water to be drinking if sitting down all day during winter in Ireland, if you're jogging in Spain during the summertime you might need more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Use a filter, works a treat if you buy a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

[Deleted by Mod]

Four posts all name checking that company... Hmmm?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement