Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for ideas...

• 09-05-2014 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Any recommendations or indeed an alternative idea is welcome

I have a hornbeam hedge separating two gardens out the back. The hedge is approx 3 ft tall. I want to let it grow to 5 or 6 ft
    There is a gap in hedge, leading to the other garden. I had the gap framed with a metal arch, but it was only cheap and collapsed after a couple of years.

I don't want a wooden arch as I have one elsewhere in garden

I want to create the illusion of entering a secret garden etc etc, I want my eyes to be drawn to the area
    ......any ideas what I could put at the gap. Its about 5 ft wide

I was thinking of 2 garden urns- tall ones. Unfortunately they are terribly expensive. Has anyone seen cheaper ones, even imitation ones? Either in Ireland or UK. I have a friend who lives in UK and she could collect or get delivered to her house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Cant help you with the urns. But I've seen hidden entrances which looks great and are fun. Basically you have a gap in the hedge, like you have. And then a couple of feet back from that you have another hedge growing, just a few feet wider on either side than the gap. So from the distance it looks like a solid hedge, but when you get up close the gap is revealed and you can slip into the 'secret' garden.

Something like this but not exactly ...

http://www.sunset.com/garden/landscaping-design/hidden-pathway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A brick pier on either side with a smaller urn on it? (use secondhand, older bricks if you can find them in a salvage yard). Or plant a honeysuckle either side on a simple frame, the honeysuckle will grow fairly fast and can be persuaded to grow across as an arch, you then just keep it trimmed and by the time the frame rots it should hold itself up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

A matching shrub on each side of the 'gap' on the main side of the hornbeam hedge, something that contrasts against the hedge.
    Then on the secret side of the garden, I'd plant a row of pivot a few feet long at right angles to the gap in the hornbeam, to create a tunnel effect, possibly privet or similar.

We have a "secret path" through a large tree & shrub bed in our garden and the kids love it. Plans are currently underway to add a second branch to the path and add one or two areas along the path where they can sit or muck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Sorry I'm only coming back to this post now.

Thanks redser, looksee and prospect for the brilliant ideas. Much to think about!

Advertisement