Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Libertines - Hyde Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Worrying storys stoped 3 times because of crowds! Beni will be mental in two weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Sat and Sun 27th and 28th of September in Alexandra Palace announced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Disappointing there's still no Irish date

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Not really expecting one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

3rd date added!

• Advertisement

Pretty sure there will be an Irish date, and there will definitely be 5 dates in London

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

seeing them this sat coming at optimus alive in lisbon absolutely buzzing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Well here's my little (figuratively, not literally speaking as it's quite long) review of the gig:

I only arrived for Maximo Park and Spiritualized, two bands I have listened to little of, so won't comment on them.
    The Pogues were quite enjoyable (despite the odd cringeworthy crowd interaction), but midway through a man collapsed in the crowd and had to receive medical treatment, which put a dampener on the occasion. Thankfully he was resuscitated by a crowd member and is now ok!

It was quite obvious that the event organisers had not accounted for the extra tickets reported to have gone on sale, as there were simply too many people for the security to manage. If they were going to increase the volume of tickets, they should have accounted for the fact that extra security would be needed, which sadly didn't appear to be the case. What's more, the size of the sparsely filled VIP section was unnecessary, and meant that anyone seeking to escape the crowd in the main section had only one way to go, as the VIP took up the entire right hand side of the stage.
    Inevitably, the crushing during 'Vertigo' (opening song) was a little scary, and I had to force my way back from where I was (about 15-20 rows back from the front barrier) to somewhere less claustrophobic. I was on my own, and I could see lots of girls panicking and crying, which was totally understandable. I know crowds like this at these events are to be expected, but this was dangerous. You know when Pete Doherty is pleading for calm that things are getting a little out of hands!

Most of the crushing occurred near the front, of course, and the stoppages during 'Boys In The Band' and 'Time For Heroes' were frustrating, which was again down to the lack of space due to the VIP area at the side.

Once things settled down a little though the gig did really take off. The band were in good spirits, Gary sprightly and hyper, John typically poker-faced and the two frontmen lively and giddy. I enjoyed the softer songs a little more (almost shed a tear during 'What Katie Did' and 'Tell The King':P), but hearing 'Can't Stand Me Now' and 'Don't Look Back Into The Sun' live was incredible and something I'll always remember. Unfortunately, the delays meant that there was no '..Likely Lads' or 'The Good Old Days', but it's only a minor gripe. A pause while crowd members again halted the gig by climbing one of the delay towers led Pete to burst into a touching rendition of his Babyshambles song 'Albion' (which is really a Libs song never recorded by the band), and Carl joining in the chorus was a special moment.

I never had this labelled as a 'special' reunion in any way, shape or form. Pete is clearly in need of the money, and has been open about that, but I don't think that should fly in the face of what this band did ten years ago. They made some of my favourite music ever, and still play it excellently. In my opinion, they sounded more together than they did at the marginally sloppier (isn't that a given?) Leeds/Reading shows in 2010. The crowd interaction (which really isn't a massively important factor for me anyway) was ok, and it was cool to see the two boys top off a stomping 'I Get Along' with a heartfelt rendition of the Sassoon poem 'Suicide In The Trenches'. It looked like the band were reappearing to play more, but alas the curfew in HP put paid to any hopes of that.

Overall, a really good gig which was made slightly less satisfying than it could have been by the crowd. A dream come true nonetheless to see The Libertines live!

On a final side note, I was fortunate enough to meet Peter at his 'From Albion To Shangri-La' book signing the previous day, when he kindly gave me a critique on a picture I had drawn of him and Carl, and did a decidedly crude sketch of my face on the back of the book he was signing!

Sorry for the excessively long review, just wanted to give my two pence on (probably) the only reunion gig I'll get to, unless these rumours of an Irish date come to fruition.. Hope things go well for everyone with tickets for any of their upcoming shows. The Albion sails on course.. for the time being at least :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Olympia put up who would you like to see play I said libertines and they liked my comment and not alot of others

Is it a sign or me just clinging to hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

But why would they play an indoor venue when they could sell them out 5 times over. I personally think Vicar St. is the best venue in the country but no chance of them playing it, same with the Olympia - they're just too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Realistically though could they sell the same volume of tickets for a huge outdoor gig in Ireland like they did with Hyde Park? I doubt it, not here. Could possibly see them doing the Olympia..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

Phoenix park would be a good spot for them to play, what could possibly go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I think Marley Park would be a good venue for them. I've seen Pete several times, both solo and with Babyshambles and Carl and the DPT, so it would be great to see them both together over here as the Libs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If there is an Irish date, I can realistically only see it being one night in the O2

The o2 would be the best we could hope for I reckon. Outdoor would be dire and they are way too big now for the likes of The Academy or The Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

The o2 is the only reasonable venue tbh!
    I honestly, dont know whether to get a ticket for london or hold out for a Dublin date

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

seen them at Beni last night. they smashed it!
    According to their crew it was the best they've played yet and said Hyde Park was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

JackMcA wrote: »
    seen them at Beni last night. they smashed it!
    According to their crew it was the best they've played yet and said Hyde Park was a disaster

Hardly asked the crew about an Irish date did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

More tour dates being announced next week, hopefully we'll get a tour date here!

NME News...

http://www.nme.com/news/the-libertines/78892
    The Libertines' next UK dates come in September when the band will play three gigs at Alexandra Palace. Support across the trio of shows will come from Peace, Swim Deep and Circa Waves.
    They will then play a run of European gigs.
    The Libertines will play: 
    London Alexandra Palace (September 26, 27, 28)
    Paris Zenith (30)
    Amsterdam Heineken Music Hall (October 2)
    Brussels FN Club (3)
    Berlin Columbiahalle (4)
    Dusseldorf Mitsubishi Electric Halle (5)

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »

They were announced already though. I think Dublin is a banker for next weeks announcement.

K.Flyer wrote: »

Yeah that was announced weeks ago..

Ok..ok.. I hadn't seen it until today!

Any word on that announcement yet?

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Any word on that announcement yet?

Haven't seen anything yet, it'll most likely be announced in the morning but keep an eye on their facebook page anyway

https://www.facebook.com/thelibertines?fref=ts

Announcement is Copenhagen on the 23rd. Mare.

nm wrote: »
    Announcement is Copenhagen on the 23rd. Mare.

Bummer. Really don't know weather to get an Alexandra Palace ticket or hold off for a Dublin date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Starting to think there won't be a Dublin show at all :(

Saw them Friday night. Unreal.

• Advertisement

Saw them Saturday, same opinion, absolutely belting gig, really.. ****ing excellent

Advertisement