Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymun and Rent Allowance?

Options
  • 09-05-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me why Ballymun doesn't accept Rent Supplement.
    I seen John Lyons Labour TD talking about something to do with it recently. I always thought it was just a coincidence that nowhere in Ballymun took it. I never knew it was actual law.

Can someone explain to me why that is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Because they want to completly regenerate the the whole area ,move if forward from the antisocial ,unemployment black spot it use to be ,
    Bring in professionals, working families and students ,

• Registered Users Posts: 33 xsofacouchx

What was the legislation on it though? Like what was the 'official' reason?

What was the legislation on it though? Like what was the 'official' reason?

Can't remember exactly do a thread search on here if I remember correctly there was a few threads about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me why Ballymun doesn't accept Rent Supplement.
    I seen John Lyons Labour TD talking about something to do with it recently. I always thought it was just a coincidence that nowhere in Ballymun took it. I never knew it was actual law.

Can someone explain to me why that is?

I don't understand this:confused:
    Ballymun is made up lots of different property owners. They decide if they will accept RA or not. There are plenty of people in Ballymun on RA

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I guess they mean Ballymun Regeneration Ltd. or whatever it's called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 xsofacouchx

Ray Palmer, nowhere in Ballymun has taken Rent Allowance for a number of years. I thought it was just a coincidence, I genuinely thought people werent looking hard enough and then I seen it on the television that it was brought up in the Dail to change the legislation. So it is supposedly not legal to accept in Ballymun. People who are on Rent Allowance in Ballymun were probably already on it before the legislation was brought in?

Ray Palmer, nowhere in Ballymun has taken Rent Allowance for a number of years. I thought it was just a coincidence, I genuinely thought people werent looking hard enough and then I seen it on the television that it was brought up in the Dail to change the legislation. So it is supposedly not legal to accept in Ballymun. People who are on Rent Allowance in Ballymun were probably already on it before the legislation was brought in?
    I don't believe for a second that there's a law prohibiting RS in Ballymun as a whole. The SWP etc. would have had a field day with something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

murphaph wrote: »
    I don't believe for a second that there's a law prohibiting RS in Ballymun as a whole. The SWP etc. would have had a field day with something like that.

The 'etc' do bring it up anyway:

http://www.dessieellis.ie/reilly-calls-for-rent-supplement-to-be-restored-in-ballymun-immediately/

MYOB wrote: »
    My reading of that is that DCC in their capacity as a landlord have a ban on RS tenants. That means DCC will not accept RS tenants. RS is not paid by DCC. It is paid out (currently) by the DSP, who presumably have no ban in place (they would be harangued if they did) on any specific geographic area and so private landlords in Ballymun can accept RS if they so wish. The fact is the RS system is so broken that very few landlords anywhere in the country will take it.

My reading of that is that DCC in their capacity as a landlord have a ban on RS tenants. That means DCC will not accept RS tenants. RS is not paid by DCC. It is paid out (currently) by the DSP, who presumably have no ban in place (they would be harangued if they did) on any specific geographic area and so private landlords in Ballymun can accept RS if they so wish. The fact is the RS system is so broken that very few landlords anywhere in the country will take it.

There's no guarantee that a random SF candidate actually knows the situation - so yes, it could be that DCC are refusing it but it could also be that they assume that DCC pays it. Another Google result had someone ranting against the HSE on the topic! Third option is that there's nothing different at all there.

• Advertisement

My taking of it is ,no cwo will sign off RA or issue RA for properties in ballymun, been its cwo's who sign off on rent allowence ,

There's no guarantee that a random SF candidate actually knows the situation - so yes, it could be that DCC are refusing it but it could also be that they assume that DCC pays it. Another Google result had someone ranting against the HSE on the topic! Third option is that there's nothing different at all there.
    The HSE were responsible for rent supplement up until about 3 or 4 years ago, when responsibility shifted to the DSP, from where it is supposed to shift again to the local authorities (currently a pilot project is underway in Limerick to this end-should have been like that all along).

The HSE were responsible for rent supplement up until about 3 or 4 years ago, when responsibility shifted to the DSP, from where it is supposed to shift again to the local authorities (currently a pilot project is underway in Limerick to this end-should have been like that all along).

It was a current/recent result though - hence the point that the people doing the shouting likely don't quite realise what they are shouting about.

It was a current/recent result though - hence the point that the people doing the shouting likely don't quite realise what they are shouting about.
    Yep, sure even in this thread there's talk of the "CWO" but they're called something else these days. Terminology tends to stick around, even if it's wrong. Rent Supplement itself hasn't been called Rent Allowance for years either, but people still call it that.

In fairness to DCC they are probably just trying to get a better balance of tenant type in Ballymun. That was a huge part of the original problem: too many people from weaker social strata living together. It is the same as the social housing requirement in private developments except in reverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So basically it isn't true. DCC have decided as LL not to accept RA. That is all. There is no ban on an area and it is actually impossible to do with the current system.
    The SF representative doesn't know what she is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There was actually an embargo on private landlords accepting RA in the newly built complexes in Ballymun. Who enforced it and whether it survived the tigers demise I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres very few private landlords in ballymun,
    so whether you can get rent allowance is almost irrelevant .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

riclad wrote: »
    Theres very few private landlords in ballymun,
    so whether you can get rent allowance is almost irrelevant .

All the new developements are privately owned, the plaza, gateway, shangan hall etc are mostly private landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I have a memory that at one time there was an official policy that rent allowance was not to be paid to private landlords who had bought regeneration properties. I definitely saw it written down on some state agency document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I can tell you for certain that this is not true in relation to privately owned properties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The DSP are not facilitating rent supplement on any property in Ballymun. It's part of the regeneration of the area.
    2011 wrote:
    Section 25 of the Social Welfare and Provisions Act 2007 provides that payments of rent supplement can be refused in respect of areas that are designated as an area of regeneration in order to protect investment. This is not a blanket ban on rent supplement in Ballymun but some restrictions do apply. It is recommended that these restrictions remain in place for the foreseeable future http://www.brl.ie/pdf/Tenure%20Report_2011_Final.pdf
    2009 wrote:
    with effect from 27 November 2008, rent supplement is not paid in respect of accommodation situated in the Ballymun regeneration area, as outlined by the Minister for Environment, Heritage and Local Government. http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2009/06/09/00306.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ITS on joe duffy show today,
    the official policy is no rent allowance will be given to tenants in ballymun.
    For reason,s of diversity ,eg they want a good mix of people living in ballymun .
    from different class,es .

Advertisement