Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibram accepts benefits are without basis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Interesting. Glad I never jumped on the Five fingers wagon.
    What's this got to do with Friday though? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What's this got to do with Friday though? :confused:

I actually read that as a satire, like The Onion, and thought it would be a lighthearted discussion. However, digging deeper, there is a class action suit in the US over misrepresentative advertising.

Go figure :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

TL;DR

The shoes are not that bad, people are stupid though.

Yep. This smacks of people who believed the whole 'running shoes are bad, run injury free thing' and went out to do 20 miles right out of the box. Blaming VFF for over exaggerating their claims and skewing scientific data to suit their purposes.

Like they were ever the first to do that. :rolleyes:

AKW wrote: »
    Yep. This smacks of people who believed the whole 'running shoes are bad, run injury free thing' and went out to do 20 miles right out of the box. Blaming VFF for over exaggerating their claims and skewing scientific data to suit their purposes.

Like they were ever the first to do that. :rolleyes:
    If it wasn't for that pesky independant study. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

it's a lifestyle choice man, ain't no 10 week study of a handful of runners gonna stop this craze :) ...now what would be interesting would be to come back to all the participants 100 weeks later and check out their feet.

Am sure the VFF spin merchants marketing department will say that's the body adapting to change :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm back to doing all my runs in minimus zero and pure drift a few weeks now. Without reading anything above in too much detail, am I screwed or what? :pac:

I'm back to doing all my runs in minimus zero and pure drift a few weeks now. Without reading anything above in too much detail, am I screwed or what? :pac:
    Not necessarily. The finding of the study is that you shouldn't switch over to minimalist shoes too quickly. Vibram's claims that their shoes "reduce foot injuries and strengthen foot muscles." are complete tosh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Yes but the good news is you can have some free money if your foot hurts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Interesting result: http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/vibram-agrees-to-settle-class-action-lawsuit
    Vibram has agreed to discontinue to make any claims that FiveFingers footwear is effective in strengthening muscles or reducing injury in its marketing and advertising campaigns, unless the company discovers new scientific evidence that proves it.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ur not 55 and have a ponytail..........yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

That's a decent enough article in fairness. At least it gives both sides of the argument rather than just attacking the barefoot nazis. I think there's about as much chance of you injuring yourself in a pair of high-priced running shoes as there is in a pair of high-priced barefoot runners.
    Bad form is bad form no matter what you're wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I was seriously considering getting a pair for cross country running only as my trail shoes are getting wrecked in the long wet grass at the moment, farmers aren't yet cutting their grass.

Shoes take a day or 2 to dry out so I thought the 5 fingers could be the answer? Anyone wear them on grass?

buck65 wrote: »
    I was seriously considering getting a pair for cross country running only as my trail shoes are getting wrecked in the long wet grass at the moment, farmers aren't yet cutting their grass.

Shoes take a day or 2 to dry out so I thought the 5 fingers could be the answer? Anyone wear them on grass?

They're not waterproof at all so I've found that when they get wet it goes straight through to your feet, and the skin gets wet and soft and cuts a bit at the skin.

My preference is to wear them with socks (Injinji) where it has less rubbing against the skin and is more comfortable. But I think over a long distance, wet socks rubbing against the skin would cause chafing.

They do dry quickly though! :)

there are lots of good barefoot / 0mm drop running shoes out there with no need to wear these ridiculous looking things. Apparently they smell awful after a while. I once saw someone wearing these with shorts in a nightclub :(

I've never had any problems with them getting smelly, but I would rinse them out if they get wet.
    glasso wrote: »
    I once saw someone wearing these with shorts in a nightclub :(
    An idiot is an idiot no matter what he's wearing...

Advertisement