Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup Final

• 09-05-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Venue: Tallaght Stadium
    Kick Off: 4pm, Saturday 10th May

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9SH78B9BKtRHmF2DbCYSiabUUFYuvI08xP0IU86qlA8K8Mxr9myyRXg V SligoRovers1-150x150.png

It's almost here. The Setanta Cup Final. The game which will decide which club are the best cup side in the whole country. Dundalk FC aka 'The Good Guys' are looking for their first piece of meaningful silverware since their magnificent FAI Cup Final victory over Bohs in 2002. This forum has taken Dundalk to their hearts over the past few seasons having enjoyed their swashbuckling brand of football played under the astute leadership of Stephen 'King' Kenny.

Drogheda made an absolute show of themselves and Co. Louth in last years final against Shamrock Rovers and it is up to the Lilywhites to restore the pride back in the county once more. Coming off the back of a devastating 4-0 victory over Cork City it's hard to see how Sligo can stop this white juggernaut.

Pighead has predicted the correct score in the last seven Setanta Cup Final's so with a fair degree of confidence he will predict a 3-1 victory for the good guys (Dundalk).

Can't wait for this game and am looking forward to reading the many opinions and comments this thread will generate.

How many goals will Dundalk win by? 6 votes

One
    0%
    Two
    33%
    Lucan BohsIrishmale0399 2 votes
    Three
    50%
    NeVeRPigheadclickhere 3 votes
    More than 12
    16%
    blingrhino 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Are the relative sizes of the club crests an indication of an inferiority complex on your part? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Three
    anncoates wrote: »
    Are the relative sizes of the club crests an indication of an inferiority complex on your part? :)
    Crest sizes represent total weight of each team. Danny North tilted the balance in Sligo's favour. Guessing you'll be popping down to the stadium to watch the entertainers in action?

Pighead wrote: »
    Guessing you'll be popping down to the stadium to watch the entertainers in action?

If I'm not too depressed after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Drogheda made an absolute show of themselves and Co. Louth in last years final against Shamrock Rovers

I won't lie, I lol'd :D

Dundalk to spank Sligo 5-0 with North getting sent off but then losing Towell to England in the summer and end up 4th in league sounds like a good overall outcome. :)

• Advertisement

Three
    Dundalk to spank Sligo 5-0 with North getting sent off but then losing Towell to England in the summer and end up 4th in league sounds like a good overall outcome. :)
    No chance Towell will leave if Dundalk are crowned Setanta Cup Champions. Speaking after the Cork game last week Towell was asked if it was true that both Chesterfield and Leicester City had been in contact with him regarding a move over there.

Towell emphatically denied these scurillous rumours with a 'No they haven't been in contact with me directly' His shifty eye movements whilst saying the above reassured Pighead even further. He's a keeper.

Three
    Think there has been an average of about 4000 for the Setanta Cup in recent years. Guessing it will be similar tomorrow. Sligo enjoy their cup finals so should bring a few whilst although ticket sales in Dundalk have been fairly sluggish all week hopefully people are waiting til today or in the morning to pick up their tickets.

Buzz of the cup final has been completely drowned out by the Giro d'Italia preparations around these parts. So much so that the town council have apparently forbidden any Dundalk flags to be put as it goes against the pink theme they are creating for the Giro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Might head up to this, how much are tickets? Available in Oriel I assume?

Three
    Obviously Dundalk have the edge on the pitch due to their superior skills but who has the edge in the looks department for this intriguing match up? Will try to be as fair as possible with my assessments.

Goalkeepers:

Peter Cherrie V Gary Rogers

peter-cherrie.jpg VWIP_4547_Gary_Rogers.jpg

VERDICT: Cherrie by a whisker. His more friendly demeanour edges it despite Rogers stronger jawline and nicer hair.

Cherrie 6/10
    Rogers 5/10

Left Backs:

Dane Massey V Ross Gaynor

14-dane-massey.jpgVRoss-Gaynor-Signs.jpg

VERDICT: In fairness to Massey he would win quite a few match ups normally but up against Gorgeous Gaynor he never stood a chance.

Massey 7/10
    Gaynor 9/10

Centre Back:

Andy Boyle V Jeff Henderson

andy-boyle.jpgVWIP_4556_Jeff_Henderson.jpg

VERDICT: In fairness to the two lads this is a bit of a relegation battle but gun to Pighead's head he'll unfortunately have to plump for Jeff.

Boyle 3/10
    Henderson 4.5/10

Centre Back:

Brian Gartland V Evan McMillan

brian-gartland-headshot.jpgVWIP_4561_Evan_McMillan.jpg

Verdict: Found it very difficult to split these two. The rugged good looks of Gartland or the more boyish charm of McMillan. Couldn't split them.

Gartland 7/10
    McMillan 7/10

Right Back:

Sean Gannon V Alan Keane

SeanGannon.pngVWIP_4549_Alan_Keane.jpg

VERDICT: No offence to any slapheads out there but even if you looked like George Clooney (Prime ER years) the lack of hair carries immediate minus points. Gannon's solid looks see him ease through here.

Gannon 6/10
    Keane 3/10

Midfield:

John Mountney V David Cawley

john-mountney.jpgVWIP_4551_David_Cawley.jpg

VERDICT: I think even the most ardent Sligo fan would give Mountney the nod here. Even Cawley's Mam would probably give John the vote.

Mountney 7/10
    Cawley 4/10

Midfield

Richie Towell V Paul O'Conor

RichieTowell.pngV00075c8a-642.jpg

VERDICT: Ravishing Richie by a country mile. The eyes, the hair, the guns. As with everything he does O'Conor tries hard but ultimately isn't very memorable.

Towell 9/10
    O'Conor 5/10

Three
    Midfield

Chris Shields V Joseph N'Do

chris-shields.jpgVWIP_4544_Joseph_Ndo.jpg

VERDICT: Another close one. Shields neck is a bit too long whilst N'Do doesn't have a neck so a lot of this would go on if you were a neck person or neck. Pighead is actually partial too a bit of neck so Sexy Shields nicks this for him.

Shields 6/10
    N'Do 5.5/10

Midfield:

Daryl Horgan V Kieran Djilali

DarylHorgan.pngV000806e8-642.jpg

VERDICT: Although his hair and fast little legs give him plus points the face and Djilali's excellent beard make this a Sligo victory.

Horgan 5/10
    Djilali 7/10

Forward:

Pat Hoban V Danny North

9-patrick-hoban.jpgV0005cd3b-642.jpg

VERDICT:
    The Hobanator wins this quite easily. Nicer accent, nicer hair, better physique and a more trusting smile.

Pat Hoban 7/10
    Danny North 5/10

Forward:

Kurtis Byrne V Aaron Greene

KurtisByrne.pngVWIP_4560_Aaron_Greene.jpg

VERDICT: Another tight one to finish this off and I can understand an argument for both men, however Greene's ginger stubble is a slight turn off for me and therefore I'm gonna have to give this one to Byrne.

Byrne 7/10
    Greene 6.5/10

OVERALL VERDICT:
    Dundalk FC : 70/110
    Sligo Rovers: 61.5/110

Sligo do well in defence but Dundalk look way better in midfield and up front and actually win this quite easily in the end. Proud of the lads and as Diego Simeone might say God Bless their mothers for giving the boys such great looks.

• Advertisement

Three
    Duff wrote: »
    Might head up to this, how much are tickets? Available in Oriel I assume?
    Yes, available in Oriel Park today and tomorrow. Ticket sellers are pretty good looking lads as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

About time Pighead was funny again.

Top post(s) :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think the Shields/Ndo one is controversial. You know how the Sligo lads like Ndo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Surge in ticket sales at OP tonight,Dundalk have sold close to 2,000 tix so far with the latecomers and those who will buy at the ground still to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Crowd might hit 5k then. I reckon their will be plenty of goals in this match, 3-2 is my prediction

Three
    Before I head off I just want to thank everybody who took part in the Setanta Cup thread. Those who posted, those who read and those who read the title and ignored. When I started the thread I had a horrible feeling that maybe nobody cared about the biggest All Ireland soccer cup competition in the world but given the fact there have been hundreds and hundreds of views those worries have proved misguided.

Hope everybody enjoys the game and enjoys singing all the Dundalk songs. The peoples champions are about to bring home the silver. Thanks again for everything. 3-1 Dundalk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Awful weather in South Dublin at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What is the story with YNWA playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Awh someone please shut them Dundalk fans up! Cringy chants galore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Two
    Christ the Setanta picture quality is focken sh1te.......

• Advertisement

shocking defending

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ha Setanta must be using a uplink dish the size of those plastic ones in Lidl - can't handle a small bit of wind and rain, very unprofessional as usual.

Was going to drop down but the weather was really poxy.

/barstooler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

They didn't even open up the chipper van. For shame.

Ref is ruining this.

good crowd from Dundalk

BnSgF5IIEAELh-w.jpg

wee drop of rain today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Three
    VERDICT: Ravishing Richie by a country mile. The eyes, the hair, the guns. As with everything he does O'Conor tries hard but ultimately isn't very memorable............................... I think you might remember Mr Paul Oconor goal tonight pighead.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Pighead has predicted the correct score in the last seven Setanta Cup Final's so with a fair degree of confidence he will predict a 3-1 victory for the good guys (Dundalk)

Somebody needs to stop bragging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

What was the crowd like?

frimpong wrote: »
    What was the crowd like?

Wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

You were very far off the mark with your pre match write up Pighead.

Aaron Greene is at least an 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Before I head off I just want to thank everybody who took part in the Setanta Cup thread. Those who posted, those who read and those who read the title and ignored. When I started the thread I had a horrible feeling that maybe nobody cared about the biggest All Ireland soccer cup competition in the world but given the fact there have been hundreds and hundreds of views those worries have proved misguided.

Hope everybody enjoys the game and enjoys singing all the Dundalk songs. The peoples champions are about to bring home the silver. Thanks again for everything. 3-1 Dundalk.

Really havn't a clue if you've been on a piss-taking spree or just think that Dundalk are something which they're not . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

They brought home the silver alright but Sligo are bringing home the gold \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Justice for Pighead.

• Advertisement

Three
    Excellent first hour from Dundalk where they dominated and were unlucky to concede from Sligo's only attack of the game.

Last half hour is traditionally when Dundalk come on strong like a hurricane reaching it's peak but unfortunately the Sligo Gods conspired to ensure the final 30 minutes were unplayable giving the Lilywhites zero chance to show off their superior stamina and end game skills. It was basically like asking Usain Bolt to run a 100m World Record whilst running through jam. Impossible.

But as everyone knows Pighead is a renowned classy guy so he will admit that Sligo are the winners today and send his best wishes to all the players coaches and supporters. As shown in earlier posts on this thread they are an extremely ugly team but give them their dues, the ****ers won ugly today.

To sum up, Dundalk are still the peoples champions whilst Sligo are the winners of a tin pot competition that probably won't be around next year given the publics lack of enthusiasm for the product.

Thanks to everybody who supported the town today and hopefully you will continue to shout for the good guys as they keep on pushing for the only trophy that matters. The Premier Division title.

PS Paul O'Conor is still a non entity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Midfield

Chris Shields V Joseph N'Do

chris-shields.jpgVWIP_4544_Joseph_Ndo.jpg

VERDICT: Another close one. Shields neck is a bit too long whilst N'Do doesn't have a neck so a lot of this would go on if you were a neck person or neck. Pighead is actually partial too a bit of neck so Sexy Shields nicks this for him.

Shields 6/10
    N'Do 5.5/10

FailingCreativeCoyote.gif

Pighead is a sour **** and a terrible troll, better luck next time

To be a "people's champion" you need to win something first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It's been too long since the last joey ndo dancing gif

• Advertisement

Three
    Supporters:

Pighead V Sheepy99

12650679-handsome-man-surrounded-by-fashion-woman-temptation.jpgV14feb6-bitter-beer-face.jpg

VERDICT: Complete mismatch. Like a rabbit taking on a slug in a 100 metre dash. Sheepy is so ugly people dress up as him at Halloween. Pighead has been blessed with looks, charisma style and grace. It's actually slightly offensive that Sheepy would even dare call out Pighead like this.

Pighead 10/10
    Sheepy99 0/10

Alan Keane seems to be happy with the result.....
    Alan Keane™ ‏@keano47 11h
    Champions of Ireland enough said xxxxxxxxx
    Alan Keane™ ‏@keano47 9h
    Only 1 rovers that's sligo rovers 5 years all trophys **** anyone else's that think they are rovers #rentapitch #zzzzzzz
    Alan Keane™ ‏@keano47 43m
    Haha you got to love when you hook a few sharks on your bait BnWowRNIgAEUOEe.jpg

Can somebody translate those tweets into English?

Can somebody translate those tweets into English?

He's decided to use the opportunity to wind up Shamrock Rovers it seems. To be fair, he gets a lot of stick most times he goes to Tallaght - lot of dislike on both sides.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    To be a "people's champion" you need to win something first

Haven't you heard of The Rock? You'll know what pighead is on about when Stephen Kenny bodyslams barraclough at the next meeting between the two sides, bounces across Dundalks plastic pitch and back, then delivers a theatrical elbow drop to the chest.

Hopefully the storm of controversy will open the door for the original Rovers to comfortably win the league.

For the last page and a bit of posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

You're taking the whole internet experience wayyyyyyy toooooo serious lad.Leave it go.

ps.This was the best thread i've seen on here in a long while.

Advertisement