Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 8.1 password

Options
  • 09-05-2014 1:16pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a new PC with Win 8.1 to replace a Win XP machine.

It insists on a complex password, and will not let me have no password, and I have to type this in every time I start windows. Is there anyway to set it so that I do not need one?

Also, it insists that I set up a MS Account and password, and if I want to use Skype, I must use this password and not the Skype one. I do not want any of this. Am I stuck with it?

How do I transfer my Office from the old machine to the new one and activate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Set up a local account in Windows 8.1.

Is the old machine still working?
    If so, download magic jellybean keyfinder and run it. This will give you the windows office version and the license key. Make sure you copy the key exactly as it is.
    Install the exact version of Office onto your new PC and activate it with key.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes, the old PC is still in use until the new one works.

I have the invoice from MS with the key on it, and have downloaded the version -Office Pro 2007.

I will try that and see if it works.

Any idea on the password issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Set up local account. See the link in my post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have the office transfered and activated so that is good. Next job is transfer the outlook files which should be OK (I hope).

Thanks for the help.

Just the pesky password thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

This may or may not help, I was checking out USB biometric scanners for my rig last night. Seem to be reasonably priced. The idea being you put your finger on the scanner which then enters a password for you if the dimensions are correct.

I kinda like the sound of it!

• Advertisement

I could set up a 4 digit pin, but I would rather not have any password on the computer as it is there just to annoy me, as no-one else would use it. I do not want any password, and certainly not a complicated one.

Also, I do not like MS insistance for me to change my Skype password to my new MS one. I would prefer to it to stay as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The password is due to how your Microsoft Account functions with Windows, Skype, OneDrive, Office, and Xbox. All of those services use the same unified account now.

The insistence on password input is a requirement of basic security when so many services are tied together. Procedures claiming to bypass the login are here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2015587/how-to-bypass-the-windows-8-password-screen.html

Brilliant. It worked.

Now, I just want MediaCentre for free (which it used to be) but I can wait and hope.

My current problem is that I cannot find/remember my password for my email account. Oh well, I can get it reset on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I was about to ask why nobody has suggested netplwiz and unticking the require password to log on box, but I guess I was a little late to the party. :)

I have an Intel NUC with win 8.1 as a HTPC and that was the first thing I did, it was a pain in the hole needing a password to log on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

My current problem is that I cannot find/remember my password for my email account. Oh well, I can get it reset on Monday.

Run THIS on the old machine and it will give you your email password provided you are using something like Outlook

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

I cannot run those programs because my anti-virus steps in and says they are trojans.

Thanks for the suggestions but I will have to call my email supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I cannot run those programs because my anti-virus steps in and says they are trojans.

Then temporarily disable it!

Brilliant. It worked.

Now, I just want MediaCentre for free (which it used to be) but I can wait and hope.

I've heard this acronym thrown about for the last couple years. Havent used it myself but it seems to be well adopted

http://xbmc.org/about/

You can also use the Xbox Music and Video apps (heh) or you can also use an Xbox One/360 to access windows media. For a HTPC, XBMC seems to be the free option of choice, and to be fair I never felt any compulsion to get WMC, it never took off really but I suppose it was great if you had a TV tuner and could employ the DVR features.

Unlike Office though say, there's no cross-compatibility woes with your work life :p in this case pick the open-source option because it looks pretty bad-ass, and yes also has all that TV and PVR ****.

I bought a Raspberry Pi which I plan to use to run XBMC. So that is what I will do (when I learn how).

I dislike how MS appears to want to consolidate all my accounts into one MS account. A bit like Apple does and why I will not own any Apple product.

I need to get expert in Linux.

I may be one in a month. I bought a Pi and parts+accys to turn it into a solar powered wifi birdhouse camera.

I am still being driven nuts by Win 8.1.

On ebay, the little pictures below an items big picture refuse to enlarge. This does not happen on DoneDeal, nor does it happen on my XP or Vista computers.

I have loaded an adblocker (Adfender) but I do not appear able to disable it if that is relevant. (The pop-up ads were driving me demented)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I am still being driven nuts by Win 8.1.

On ebay, the little pictures below an items big picture refuse to enlarge. This does not happen on DoneDeal, nor does it happen on my XP or Vista computers.

I have loaded an adblocker (Adfender) but I do not appear able to disable it if that is relevant. (The pop-up ads were driving me demented)

I've noticed even these days image quality on ebay can be rubbish. It's a bit annoying and not an OS/browser issue if I'm understanding your issue correctly. Do try an alternative browser like Firefox or Chrome to rule out a browser issue. For an ads website ebay picture quality is still representative of the nineties and I think it's just the way the site is programmed to heavily compress/shrink display pictures when users list an ad.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I've noticed even these days image quality on ebay can be rubbish. It's a bit annoying and not an OS/browser issue if I'm understanding your issue correctly. Do try an alternative browser like Firefox or Chrome to rule out a browser issue. For an ads website ebay picture quality is still representative of the nineties and I think it's just the way the site is programmed to heavily compress/shrink display pictures when users list an ad.

Nick

No, it is not the browser as it is the same in IE and Firefox.

What happens is that when I have an advert open with, say 8 sub-pictures, and I click on any photo - nothing happens. The computer just ignores my button push. Now it works when I press on some buttons like ''Sell it yourself'' but not on See Details but it does on contact seller in the bit below.
    Postage:
    Will post to United Kingdom. Read item description or contact seller for postage options. | See details

No, it is not the browser as it is the same in IE and Firefox.

What happens is that when I have an advert open with, say 8 sub-pictures, and I click on any photo - nothing happens. The computer just ignores my button push. Now it works when I press on some buttons like ''Sell it yourself'' but not on See Details but it does on contact seller in the bit below.

I can confirm these all work fine for me on Win 8.1 on IE and firefox. (I zoomed images and clicked "see details" and everything worked ok. I think your issue may be to do with the virus scanner your laptop has installed, I'd try disabling this and try again. some anti virus programs interfere with the resources such as JavaScript websites tend to use

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I can confirm these all work fine for me on Win 8.1 on IE and firefox. (I zoomed images and clicked "see details" and everything worked ok. I think your issue may be to do with the virus scanner your laptop has installed, I'd try disabling this and try again. some anti virus programs interfere with the resources such as JavaScript websites tend to use

Nick

Great to hear it is OK for you. It is either the McAfee Security stuff (I disabled it and it made no difference) or it is the adblocker (Adfender) which appears not to be easy to disable or delete. I will try uninstalling it and see where that leaves me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Overheal wrote: »
    I may be one in a month. I bought a Pi and parts+accys to turn it into a solar powered wifi birdhouse camera.
    I was going to do something similar, but you'd surprised how big your solar panel needs to be to supply enough juice keep it all going. :(

My problem with ebay is something to do with Javascript. When I hover over the picture, [javascript;] appears in the bottom LH corner of the screen, but if I hover over other things, the address appears.

I disabled and unistalled the adblocker to no avail. I disabled the AV (McAfee) to no avail.

Any ideas?

My problem with ebay is something to do with Javascript. When I hover over the picture, [javascript;] appears in the bottom LH corner of the screen, but if I hover over other things, the address appears.

I disabled and unistalled the adblocker to no avail. I disabled the AV (McAfee) to no avail.

Any ideas?

Look under browser addons and make sure there is no McAffee addon or ad blocking addons enabled. Have you tried multiple browsers? Who is your internet provider? If it is mobile broadband the provider may be caching certain files which are causing the issue

Nick

@yoyo
    I am on Vodafone Homephone and BB but it cannot be that as my old computers work fine on ebay.

I am using Firefox, but it is the same with Explorer.

I disabled all the add-ons and no difference.

I suspect it is javascript that is part of the problem because [javascript;] appears in the lefthand bottom corner when I hover over the pictures.

Are there different javascripts?

@yoyo
    I am on Vodafone Homephone and BB but it cannot be that as my old computers work fine on ebay.

I am using Firefox, but it is the same with Explorer.

I disabled all the add-ons and no difference.

I suspect it is javascript that is part of the problem because [javascript;] appears in the lefthand bottom corner when I hover over the pictures.

Are there different javascripts?

There is something on the computer interfering with this, it is not an OS issue. Did you buy McAffee? If it's the trial one that came with the computer uninstall it (McAffee is rubbish) and see if it solves it (sometimes disabling AV software doesn't stop all interference). It sounds to me like some kind of web filtering is causing the issue. Adfender also sounds like something dodgy to me, may be worth running ADWCleaner to check incase any undesirable stuff is on the machine

Nick

I,ve dumped McAfee and no difference. I am running 64 bit Win 8.1 if that matters.

I noticed another funny. I was trying to check something on the Lisney site and it crashed out on me into a page of junk.

There must be an incompatibility with the version of windows and javascript. I do not know where I go from here. Any ideas?

I,ve dumped McAfee and no difference. I am running 64 bit Win 8.1 if that matters.

I noticed another funny. I was trying to check something on the Lisney site and it crashed out on me into a page of junk.

There must be an incompatibility with the version of windows and javascript. I do not know where I go from here. Any ideas?
    It's certainly nothing to do with Windows, but something that is installed is interfering with internet traffic. Are you using any third party firewall software? Are you sure your adblocker has been removed?

Nick

Yes I uninstalled. I tried with no adblocker installed - no difference.

It looks like incompatibility to me. Every thing was working perfectly on XP and Vista and is still working.

Solved.

I contacted Komplett.ie (who supplied the computer) and their help line was very helpful. They got me to download some software that allowed them to take over my computer. I could then demonstrate the problem. Their guru then had a look and wizzed around the screen and did this and that. Decided my computer was riddled with spyware and told me to download a malware program, which I did and ran it. It found some trash and eradicated it.

Then I discovered I could not get into Firefox or chrome or IE. I called them back and they got me back on line.

Fantastic service - could not fault it.

The first bit of software was teamview 9 and the second one was malwarebytes anti-malware which might be worth checking out.

• Advertisement

Solved.

I contacted Komplett.ie (who supplied the computer) and their help line was very helpful. They got me to download some software that allowed them to take over my computer. I could then demonstrate the problem. Their guru then had a look and wizzed around the screen and did this and that. Decided my computer was riddled with spyware and told me to download a malware program, which I did and ran it. It found some trash and eradicated it.

Then I discovered I could not get into Firefox or chrome or IE. I called them back and they got me back on line.

Fantastic service - could not fault it.

The first bit of software was teamview 9 and the second one was malwarebytes anti-malware which might be worth checking out.

Two great pieces of software, glad to hear the issue is resolved. I'd recommend doing a scan with Hitman Pro to get rid of any remaining potential nasties. It's not free but you get a trial period which is enough to clean up the machine :)

Nick

Advertisement