Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning to bottle

Options
  • 09-05-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi. I've exclusively bf my six month old until I recently introduced solids. We're on the second stage of solids now and I want to introduce a bottle to replace the afternoon breastfeed. Anyone have any idea how much formula I should give her? How many ounces?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

When introducing a bottle I wouldn't make more than a couple of ounces as it'll likely go to waste. Depending on the baby it can take a while to get going on bottle feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Interested in hearing how you get on as I will be doing this gradually within the next few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Soooky wrote: »
    Interested in hearing how you get on as I will be doing this gradually within the next few weeks :)

She took 3oz no problem at around 4pm. I was delighted as I had heard stories of babies refusing formula after ebf. She did get sick (a lot) around half eight, though I have no idea if the formula caused it... It might have been her 6 month jabs.
    Also I am awake now because I'm all blocked up and engorged and am fast developing mastitis.:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    She took 3oz no problem at around 4pm. I was delighted as I had heard stories of babies refusing formula after ebf. She did get sick (a lot) around half eight, though I have no idea if the formula caused it... It might have been her 6 month jabs.
    Also I am awake now because I'm all blocked up and engorged and am fast developing mastitis.:'(

Oh dear hope it wasn't the formula : ( Our little one has always been pretty windy so I think when we switch I will just try a tiny bit in a sippy cup for a few days to see how she tolerates it! Hoping to just do the bedtime feed with a bottle of formula so that she will go to bed for somebody other than me (she has only ever had the odd bottle so that'll be an added bit of fun!!!).

Sorry to hear you are developing mastitis - have a mild case of it myself at the moment too for the first time (after 5 months ebf which is mad). I'm on antibiotics and anti inflammatories - doc said it can escalate very quickly and become an absess which would require hospitalisation - a pretty scary thought! Take care of yourself DoctorBoo : )

Advertisement