Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of wiring

Options
  • 09-05-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Just got quote from electrician of around €5000 <MOD SNIP Please read the charter> for wiring of house. This will include roughly 40 sockets and standard lighting (+3 dimmers)of a 4 bed house, kitchen, hallway, utility, 2 sitting rooms, (4 tv points), with sockets at 2 points outdoors too (about 10meters each from house).
    Is this fairly in line with what others would be charging too?

Also am debating some downlighters but reading some reviews, they are quite mixed. More expensive to insert but cheaper to run, but also some mentions of fire hazards and draught points. Ideally I would love some but am a bit skeptical. Would people be recommending them? And if so how much extra would they cost to add them to hallway, kitchen and living room?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

psychhead wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just got quote from electrician of around €5000 <MOD SNIP Please read the charter> for wiring of house. This will include roughly 40 sockets and standard lighting (+3 dimmers)of a 4 bed house, kitchen, hallway, utility, 2 sitting rooms, (4 tv points), with sockets at 2 points outdoors too (about 10meters each from house).
    Is this fairly in line with what others would be charging too?

It is not possible to determine if the price quoted represents value for money or not from the very limited information provided.
    Also am debating some downlighters but reading some reviews, they are quite mixed. More expensive to insert but cheaper to run, but also some mentions of fire hazards and draught points.

Quality downlighers when properly installed are not a fire hazard and will not be draughty.

Most people spend upwards of 20 years paying for their home which is frequently the most expensive asset that they will ever own. Try to penny pinch and you may not be happy with the standard of workmanship and quality of materials. I think that your focus should be more on the reputation, ability and experience of the electrical contractor that you select.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 psychhead

thanks for the reply 2011,
    as regards more specifics, its a bungalow roughly 170sq meters,
    In total roughly 40 double sockets (plain white ones),
    2 outside porch lights,
    power socket 10 meters away at front wall, and one 10 meters into the garden,
    back porch light.
    4 Bedrooms- tv point in 2 rooms, standard light per room.
    Living rooms- tv point in each, dimmer in each
    Kitchen- 3 lights (1 on dimmer), usual appliances with large gas cooker. No fancy pop up sockets.
    Bathroom-Electric shower, fan, mirror light
    Ensuite- Power shower, fan, mirror light
    Hallway- one light
    Utility- again usual appliances

Would adding recessed lighting to hallway, and kitchen add much to the price instead of standard lighting?

Budget is an issue so can cut sockets in some areas, we may have overdone it :) Anything else that would be handy to add in that I am forgetting?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

psychhead wrote: »
    Anything else that would be handy to add in that I am forgetting?

Yes, lots!
    At work now, will respond later if nobody else does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

As 2011 said cutting cornors now will be something you may well regret down the line. I allways tell people your better off looking At Wires then Looking For them! My advice make sure every wall/cornor has a double socket fitted. I'd make sure every room has a Kat 6e ran into it back too a central attick point (can be used for phone,Internet, CCTV, hdmi etc down the line) at tv locations like kitchen/front room I'd have 4 50oham coax's (2 for sky & then 2 spare for freeview, Satellitte tv or UPC broadband ) all brought back too a central attick point. Whilst doing the major works now have you enough lights out the front of your house or in your driveway or garden? Similar with the back? There easy too install now. Not so much in 5 years! Have you a shed that may need power down the line? Again easy too install a cable now. Thats just my advice on it. Ask what if now, not in 5 years. If budget is an issue cut cornors on painting or furniture or get carpet instead of wooden floors for the mean time. These are all easyily changed when your back on your feet financially. It's not so easy too go pulling floor boards and chasen walls too run wires around the house

As for price issues it's near on impossible too tell you a price in this game with out seeing the job in full. Cable run lengths, size of the build, condition of esb supply's and numerous other things need too be taken into account.

• Advertisement

In addition to the items mentioned in the OP has if it was my home I would wire for the following:

● Home cinema surround sound in the sitting room
    ● CAT6 ethernet points throughout the house - can be used for NAS, printer, computers, TV, phone, CCTV etc...
    ● Additional light switch beside the bed in the master bedroom
    ● Speaker wiring in the kitchen
    ● Intruder alarm throughout the home
    ● USB socket outlets at several convenient points
    ● Several smoke detectors
    ● Rate of rise heat detector in the kitchen
    ● Carbon monoxide detectors
    ● Heating controls including a minimum of 3 zone valves and thermostats - this will save you money & provide better control
    ● Door bell
    ● Garden lighting, front and back (or at least a cable left out for same)
    ● HD TV at several points and satellite TV
    ● Attic light
    ● Outside socket
    ● Supply for shed
    ● Lighting on all sides of the house
    ● Supply for electric gate & intercom (if applicable)
    ● Dimmer switches
    ● Bathroom fans
    ● Mirror light in bathrooms

Aren't smokeys,heats and carbon monoxide detectors all standard now? I forgot too mention the zoned heating system thats a big one. I've also taken too offering customers Run Down Timers on the heating in older installations where stats we're never fitted too prevent the heating been turned on for hours upon end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The price doesn't sound excessive but why not get another quote if your worried? As others have said don't cut back on your spec as you will regret that in the long run. Also a lot of the other things suggested are really worth while if you can stretch your budget, you can update most things in your house very easily in the future but very hard to update your electrical and plumbing, so might be worth spending extra on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 psychhead

Thanks for all the info everyone! Defo some things I had forgotten! Must add them to the list. Again would love to wire for everything but the budget has gotta stop somewhere! :)

Advertisement