Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs for the Summer

Options
  • 09-05-2014 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I have nothing to do for the summer.

I'm after sending out at least 20 CVs with Cover letters within the last month or two, and got absolutely nothing back, seems as if nobody accepts students.

Doing an IT course in my second year and I've got no prior work experience apart from 4th year w.e. so my options are extremely limited.

Anyone know of places I can apply that my situation can suit?
    All suggestions gladly welcomed

-Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

viperkevin wrote: »
    I have nothing to do for the summer.

I'm after sending out at least 20 CVs with Cover letters within the last month or two, and got absolutely nothing back, seems as if nobody accepts students.

Doing an IT course in my second year and I've got no prior work experience apart from 4th year w.e. so my options are extremely limited.

Anyone know of places I can apply that my situation can suit?
    All suggestions gladly welcomed

-Kevin

I'm in the same boat, I've sent over 60 online applications and about 20 cvs in person over the last few months and haven't heard anything back.

You could try Eishtec, I can't work their for personal reasons so I haven't applied but you're doing an IT course so I'd imagine you'd be pretty familiar with what they do in there prior to any real training.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 viperkevin

Tried them twice, they called back a couple weeks ago but I missed it and I couldn't get through to them.

I hear it's a good starter job but most people can't last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Do not go near the place. The mental torture and the feeling of usefulness from clowns talking down to you for spare change isnt worth the minimum wage they pay. If your capable of studying IT in college dont lower yourself down to that level.

If its IT your in i would suggest if at all possible is do either of 2 things.

1 : Hit the programming hard and give yourself every advantage next year. Programmers get paid serious amounts of money if they are good. You can easily find out what projects you have next year and really work hard at them and have them done before you even start next year. You might have to do a PHP database driven site or a Java program. If thats the case drop me a PM and ill give you some good advice on projects you can do. Its a portfolio that gets you work. Right now youre no different to every other person in your course i assume.

2 : As a last resort start making websites for local businesses. Depending on how good you are at selling you could make about 1000 a month. couple of websites for 500 each and your sorted. In town every day 9-5 selling should surely get you one site a fortnight.

Just dont do jack **** all summer as it looks awful. Either way get a portfolio together and put that on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

You should also look into getting involved in Coder Dojo in Waterford if they continue during the summer. Great experience and you will meet lots of IT people from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

neilk32 wrote: »
    You should also look into getting involved in Coder Dojo in Waterford if they continue during the summer. Great experience and you will meet lots of IT people from the area.

Thats another really good option. You could mix that up with option 1 as youll be learning and teaching as far as im aware. Youll also develop good teaching and teamwork skills which will stand to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

theres a recruitment fair coming up in waterford city library might be worth going to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Try Edrive:

http://edrivegroup.com/
    We’re Hiring

Have you the drive to join our team.. If you do, we want to hear from you.

Vacancy’s Available:

Telesales / Admin, Waterford > Fleet Engineers / Auto Technicians – Ireland >
    Telesales / Admin, Dublin Based > Fleet Engineers /Auto Technicians - U.K >

Sales Executive, Field Based (London Area) Experienced Vehicle Vinyl Fitters / Wrappers – Dublin
    Sales Executive, Field Based (Midlands Area) Experienced Vehicle Vinyl Fitters / Wrappers – Midlands, UK
    Sales Executive, Field Based (Ireland ROI & NI)

Advertisement