Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had success bypassing estate agent and approaching bank directly?

Options
  • 09-05-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I've been attempting to purchase a property.

I've encountered the most awkward estate agent yet, who laughed at my offer [which was cash available immediately, and a very informed bid] and told me he wouldn't even bother passing it on to the bank.

I've walked away from properties previously because of estate agent antics and most of the houses in question are still for sale. I am more than willing to do the same again. But this one is the most suitable yet, and I'd like to give it one last chance.

The property is local to me [estate agent is not local] so I am equipped with a lot of information about the history of the property, previous offers, etc. I know both the original owner [pre bank takeover], and the estate agent who was trying to sell it until recently.

I know the bank were willing to accept the amount I have offered, at least up to a few weeks ago.

The property has been for sale for a very long time with little to no interest, but oddly the day I made my offer, there were 3 separate bidders who had also suddenly become interested. It is in a part of the country where there is zero movement of properties, no growth whatosever, and the property would have no appeal to the vast majority.

The EA told me the bank have decided to "move their goalposts" and they now want a lot more than the asking price. He told me the other bids are 30 and 35k over the asking price. Then after a few minutes and some distractions, he forgot the specific amounts he had said and re-quoted me different figures for the other bids.

Has anyone actually had success in directly approaching a bank?

I understand they're hiring the EA to do the selling for them, but I also personally know several people who had to walk away from other properties with this EA in the past.

I've made my offer and I won't be going higher. I've offered what it's worth, but it's disheartening to think I'm dealing with someone who won't even pass the offer onward.

Has anyone actually had success with approaching a bank directly, and trying to deal with them without the awkward middle man delaying the process? Or is it simply a no-go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you know who the bank are why not make an appoitment to see the manager and make the offer you have nothing to lose. Tell them you have found the EA difficult to deal with and hare happy to let the solisitor's work it out and can give them a booking deposit if they wish to pay the EA thats up to them but you won't be taking his calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Yes, that's what I plan to do, but I'm curious if anyone has ever tried and succeeded.
    There are stories about people with money making a deal directly with the bank, but are they urban legends?

Advertisement